Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Jun 6, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #46 of 615
So i've got a Fiio M11 Pro and i've been looking at getting a portable headphone amp to use my ZMF's on it - i've been looking at the Fiio Q7 a lot but only recently discovered this nice looking AK PA10 - I don't have a huge budget atm, so the cheaper cost of the AK is good - sounds like it has some really cool features, but i'm a little wary of the more restricted I/O options as compared to the Q7. I don't have or really even need a dedicated desktop station for listening, I do most of mine chilling in the backyard patio or in bed.
I've had a hard time finding a direct power output comparison between the PA10 and the Q7 - does anyone here happen to have experience with these two devices when using high impedance (300 ohm) headphones? Does one offer noticeably more power/performance than the other? Thanks in advance.

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #47 of 615
PA 10 is here, how long do you need it to burn in to settle the final sound.
IMG_20230606_225503-01.jpeg

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #50 of 615
# chaotic_angel - don't be so reserved in the comments and write whether while drinking Robusta tea (I like too) ,
keeping your inner peace and you discovered the decks of good sound in your new Darwin+PA10 set :slight_smile:
How do you rate it?

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #51 of 615
# chaotic_angel - don't be so reserved in the comments and write whether while drinking Robusta tea (I like too) ,
keeping your inner peace and you discovered the decks of good sound in your new Darwin+PA10 set :slight_smile:
How do you rate it?
RS2 fails to be pair with PA 10, I am using Oriolus Szalayi 4.4 BAL, perhaps double amping via 4.4 HO is not a good synergy.
However when I am using 3.5 LO in RS2 the sound is very pleasant, clean, warm and musical.

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #52 of 615
RS2 fails to be pair with PA 10, I am using Oriolus Szalayi 4.4 BAL, perhaps double amping via 4.4 HO is not a good synergy.
However when I am using 3.5 LO in RS2 the sound is very pleasant, clean, warm and musical.
this may be obvious, but in order to use the amps' 4.4 bal output, you must connect the dap and than amp with the 4.4 line in/line out. This cable is not supplied out of the box. I've have some really good pairings when everything is fully is full balanced. I use the iFi Cable\. Now my quest is looking for a solid dap that is small, lightweight and decent enough DAC for the AK PA10. Currently using Sony ZX707 but have to imagine there is even a better solution, thoughts?

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #53 of 615
this may be obvious, but in order to use the amps' 4.4 bal output, you must connect the dap and than amp with the 4.4 line in/line out. This cable is not supplied out of the box. I've have some really good pairings when everything is fully is full balanced. I use the iFi Cable\. Now my quest is looking for a solid dap that is small, lightweight and decent enough DAC for the AK PA10. Currently using Sony ZX707 but have to imagine there is even a better solution, thoughts?
Hiby R6 iii or 2023 Hiby R6 pro

dammit! I hate when I found out I need another source to fulllfill the needs of whatever just bought

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #55 of 615
I’m looking for a great sounding DAC source that’s small and lightweight for AK P10. Must be able to download songs in Tidal. Any suggestions????

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #56 of 615
What's next when you already have a 2-3 year old DAP, Android is getting old, you lack power because you change headphones or plan to change them, and in general you have already listened to the flagship DAPs at shows/tests how great they sound, but their high prices make you have to stop.
How to improve the sound quality of such a DAP?

So I bought Astell & Kern PA10 + IFI interconnect 4.4 to 4.4
I wanted to get a better sound with DAP FIIO M11 Plus Ltd - 2x AKM4497EQ.

I considered several options: sell the current FIIO (with a price loss) and buy another DAP, only what FIIO? - the only model with a step forward is the new FIIO 15s but it's still a THX amplifier, still Android 10 in 2023 I listened to it but apart from the greater power its signature (in my opinion) it is very similar to 11 Plus Ltd. it's more a cosmetics of the sound than a revolution, the other is .. Monster M17, of course, is distinguished by a better sound, a much higher price and cosmic power, still Adroid 10. An alternative is the purchase of DAP A&K but what kind - SP3000 ufffff .... the price is actually a refined DAP, the purchase of SE300 is it ... a brilliant combo with a class-A amplifier but still the price is high as a novelty. I decided to go a different way, and the current DAP and use it only as a balanced source for the analog balanced, portable (I will not carry it, but rather move it, but I am allergic to interference from the power supply from the mains) Astell&Kern PA10 class-A amplifier is a curiosity on the market the more so that the price is more affordable than, for example, Cayin C9, WA8 ....

I often read very poetic terms during tests and reviews. I will not use it here.
I was the first to connect my Focal Elegia, I always had the impression when listening to the FIIO M11 Plus Ltd that it lacked ... power, dynamics, spaciousness??
On the Focal, the lows and mid-bass were a problem and constant combinations with the Dekoni full leather pads made up for it.
I connected them through a balanced cable and ..... the sound just knocked me into the chair, the stage ... I am on the stage or right next to it and it is overwhelming, the musicians are almost tangible
First song - In the swing tracks (Kelly Smith - On The Sunny Side Of The Street) a series of sounds come out of the brass instruments with such intensity and dynamics as when I played them myself in the band WOOOW 30 years ago.
If you think the musicians, for example, jazz, will disperse too much on the stage, you can summon them and discipline them with the CrossFeed switch (that was my impression) and in fact the system mixes the channels as when listening to stationary loudspeakers.
Is there anything missing from Focal Elegia now - absolutely not! no equalizers needed all the low and sub low tones have magically found each other.

I don't know how A&K calculates Balanced 6.2Vrms power?? and probably no one knows for sure - for one device and the same headphones with 6.2Vrms (Kann Max) or 15 Vrms (CA1000) is still not enough.

Here in PA10 on the balanced output is 6.2Vrms Focal Elegia is only 35 Ohm 1/3 of the knob on Gain-L is a firecracker, it's almost scary to turn the knob.
I listened to dozens of songs of different genres (because I also listen to different music) and I am currently charging it with the charger.
I will try to write something later on other in-ear headphones.

I do not want to convince anyone and praise A&K PA10.
Of course, there are better stationary and portable devices, and even cheaper ones that give even more fun than my modest set.
But if you have a few years old DAP with LineOut output, take it with you, because it is a lightweight and portable device and test it in the salon or shop, by personally connecting it to the Astell & Kern PA10. Simple TRY.

Maybe your DAP is not that old and you don't need to replace it with a new one, it just lacks a friend in the form of a better amplifier than the one currently inside your DAP.
The DAP (including a better DAC) will be available later and can be changed to another one anyway, but how many of them have a balanced class-A amplifier in such a small and clever version, the A&K PA10 will stay with me for longer.

Jun 8, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #57 of 615
Good afternoon everyone. Before me is the question of buying a new toy, and I think, but what to choose. The choice is between fiio q7 and a & k pa10 + inexpensive player. The main thing that interests you is how big is the difference in power between these devices? Interested in portable use. And I suppose to use dynamic high-impedance headphones and planars (something like tin hifi p2 plus or fostex t60rp).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #58 of 615
I'm uploading some photos, FIIO M11 Plus Ltd in a silicone cover, it's the same size as A&K PA10.

Some information that may be useful to someone and that I couldn't find anywhere before buying:
- Such a "sandwich" stands very stable on the desk without any worries
- Yes - the rubber is placed below - it interferes a bit when typing on the touch screen, I wonder if it can be removed and placed on a stand.
- Stand - stand E.g. FiiO DK3S does not really fit (no height and angle adjustment) so it's strange that no one would think to produce such a stand for "Sandwiches"
- Are the working times of the PA10 on the battery achievable - rather Yes
- I confirm someone's earlier entry - the device does not heat up slightly, maybe at 1/3 of the power, the warm back is slightly felt
- The volume knob is cleverly made, 1/3 turns sensitively but not too lightly, then the knob has a slight resistance and it makes sense because these are the volume areas
where the power madness begins, it is such a protection that you do not accidentally shoot yourself with the volume.
- manual and Balanced 6.2Vrms hmmm - even without GAIN it is much louder than in A&K devices with the same given value
It's very strange and I won't go into detail
- I don't currently have 300ohm headphones so I can't comment
whether they drive or not, maybe I will have the opportunity to check
- Current control [Low] Default / [Mid] +50mA / [High] +100mA
Yes it affects the sound but very slightly, and I would use it more when customizing one headphone setting than for songs
- GAIN - with the power that I use, I don't need it, but it boosts the volume
- Crossfeed Effect - it's a nice option, solutions here are hardware and not software.
t's worth having and having fun especially in music where long listening to very distant musicians on stage in corners can be tiring .
- A&K recommends a headphone impedance of 16-300 Ohms
let's take 16 as the absolute minimum
In my favorite and owned Astell&Kern AK T9iE headphones
is 16 Ohm - 1/3 is too loud, I listen to it more quietly 1/6 ?- this is the power of this amplifier
- Unbalance of the channels on 3.5mm - does not occur from complete silence on the knob
- Unbalance of the channels at 4.4mm - it is but very small from complete silence, after a minimal movement of the knob, very small, it is gone.
- Is it quieter on an unbalanced connection 3.5? it's quieter
but the sound is still nice, dignified and you don't have to worry so much about the lack of power, but ..... there is no claw, kick, shot, meat that gives a balanced 4.4mm
connection - a total blast.
- Is a balanced interconnect necessary -YES - see above
- Does it have to be the cable model IFI 4.4 to 4.4 - it's not cheap but it is quality, well made, both cable and plugs are of good quality
Yes, I already had 2 pieces cheaper for 1/3 of the price - it was a pity for that money.
IFI interconnect is well thought out and can be used when you have a cover on, you can see it in the picture - a slight break because I don't have a cover on PA10 yet.

a20230608_215929.jpg
b20230608_220057.jpg
c20230608_220106.jpg
d20230608_220249.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #60 of 615
Hiby R6 iii or 2023 Hiby R6 pro

dammit! I hate when I found out I need another source to fulllfill the needs of whatever just bought
Or the rs6 😁( definitely the rs6 imo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back