Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
May 7, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 600
Case from taobao
Screenshot_20230508_000900.jpg
Screenshot_20230508_000923.jpg
Screenshot_20230508_000940.jpg
Screenshot_20230508_000438.jpg
Screenshot_20230508_000835.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #19 of 600
For non balance devices like Chord Mojo, is it possible to utilise the non balanced signal via converter to balanced in of the amp? I wonder because many pre amps are perfectly fine taking non balanced signals in their balanced inputs (rca to xlr adaptors)

May 10, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #20 of 600
I received the PA10 a few days and have been swapping Daps to get some initial impressions > SP3000, SP2000cu, Sony ZX707. If I get a noticeable improvement (doesn't have to be transformative) in my listening experience I'm fine with paying more to get it. (listening was paired with Noble KK, Code23 cable)

SONY ZX707: Primarily used out of home, air travel, pocket listening. With PA10, it transforms the Sony into a TOTL listening experience. Soundstage expands massively, instruments are more separated, more layering, AK house sound is introduced but retains some of the warmth with Sony.

SP2K: Wow. I wasn't expecting much, but there is a noticeable improvement to an already great DAP. The soundstage expands in every direction, every note carries more weight, and the depth of the low end is deep and richly textured. They layering is top notch. The soundstage doesn't approach the SP3K level, but it's better in every way. There is also a little more smoothness/richness in the notes. With the Noble KK, the bass is just absolutely massive, visceral punch in the throat kind of experience.

SP3K: The soundstage gives me an out of body experience on the SP3K. Imagine a completely black, infinite space where the music seems to magically float in that space and you have this, hard to describe, truly 3D listening experience. With the PA10, the soundstage is retained, you have a little more smoothness, and each note has more authority.
The PA10 is one of my better acquisitions in the past year. Glad I pulled the trigger. (design-wise, AK hit another home run, albeit more minimalistic but it's a beauty.

Cons so far? First, it doesn't come with a 4.4mm cable, so you're SOL if your IEMs don't have one. I have one on order now. Second, no known case in the market that I can find.
I've spent more time with the AK SP10 and the SP3000 and wanted to provide an update. While there is incremental gain in the overall weight of the note, you do lose out on some of the spatial qualities of the SP3K sound stage, so it's not as holographic and as wide. So far, for me the PA10 is a home run with the Sony, a home run with the SP2K but takes away the magical qualities of the SP3K.

May 10, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #21 of 600
I've spent more time with the AK SP10 and the SP3000 and wanted to provide an update. While there is incremental gain in the overall weight of the note, you do lose out on some of the spatial qualities of the SP3K sound stage, so it's not as holographic and as wide. So far, for me the PA10 is a home run with the Sony, a home run with the SP2K but takes away the magical qualities of the SP3K.
Thanks for the info on the amp as I have been looking at picking one up myself. I was curious as to what cable you were using to connect the Sony to the amp. 4mm-4mm I assume and what volume output are you setting on the Sony since you are going out from the headphone output to the amp. Thanks in advance.

May 10, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 600
Thanks for the info on the amp as I have been looking at picking one up myself. I was curious as to what cable you were using to connect the Sony to the amp. 4mm-4mm I assume and what volume output are you setting on the Sony since you are going out from the headphone output to the amp. Thanks in advance.
I'm using an iFi silver plated cable Here. Volume on Sony (Japan version) is about 50%, but am still dialing it up and down, and playing with the gain and current on the amp. Really nice amp.

May 10, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #23 of 600
I'm using an iFi silver plated cable Here. Volume on Sony (Japan version) is about 50%, but am still dialing it up and down, and playing with the gain and current on the amp. Really nice amp.
Are you on high gain with the Sony 4.4mm headphone out as well ?

May 10, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #24 of 600
With Fir RN6, Sony volume is 85, AK settings are low gain, current low, crossfeed off.
IMG-4374.jpg
IMG-4375.jpg

May 10, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #25 of 600
Thanks, did not realize you were using the ZX700

May 10, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #26 of 600
Is the PA10 more powerful than the amplifier inside the SP3000? Power spec's listed by A&K are the same for both.

May 12, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 600
Will the use of Astell & Kern AP10 with DAP FIIO M11 Plus Ltd - significantly increase the sound quality?
I'm running this combo now, with Sennheiser IE 600 - sounds absolute amazing. Was skeptical with Lieven's review, but it's as good as advertised. FWIW, I used M11 Plus Ltd. with L&P W2 prior to PA10 - night and day difference.

May 12, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 600
I'm running this combo now, with Sennheiser IE 600 - sounds absolute amazing. Was skeptical with Lieven's review, but it's as good as advertised. FWIW, I used M11 Plus Ltd. with L&P W2 prior to PA10 - night and day difference.
Thank You
Please write more:
Do you use this set at home fastened together with a rubber or next to each other?
Or do you use the LO output in the FIIO 4.4mm or 3,5mm - what a long cable - is it convenient, as if the PA10 lay on the table and the FIIO M11 stood on the base?
Do you have FIIO control set to LOW, MID, HIGH?
Write something about the control and these 3 sliders in the PA10.
There is little information on the web about sets with this amplifier.
Isn't it better to sell and buy AK KANN MAX?

May 13, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #30 of 600
See the reply from AK earlier in the thread about what Current and Gain (and Crossfeed) do.

I have used my PA10 with various combinations. The Current settings mid/high does add a sort of reverb and shinier dynamic (I am not sure how else to describe it) . It is subtle and suits some music styles like choral etc but not my preference. Gain just adds a little more power but only the ZMF seem to really need that and it is just about having midrange volume on both devices when the AK Alpha Gain is set to low too. Doesn't change sound quality. I like the Crossfeed function with most tracks, the soundstage feels more natural to me, more like a home HFi but just my preference.

I have used a balanced Ifi 4.4mm to 4.4 connection and the supplied 3.5 mm to 3.5mm with various headphones etc. Not sure that balanced is essential. The supplied silicon bands are OK but obscure part of the screen on my DAPs. In the end this pair aren't going in my pocket really so it doesn't matter much that they are clunky and laid on the table

The sound quality in my AK Alpha is so much improved I would be surprised if the Max without the PA10 was equivalent, but only someone who has heard both can be sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back