Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
May 14, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #31 of 600
Hello,
I have also a PA10 . Bought it as a impulsbuy, what normaly rarely happens. When i was reading about the different Current Operational options and the other Descriptions of the Circuit made sense to me also.. I got a good deal aswell, so coudn t restrain. It s quiet new, not really burnt in .
I have 3 Daps. Ibasso Dx200 with Amp 1/2/8. I love Amp 8 but it doesn t have a real Lineout. So i tried Amp 1 and 2. Not the biggest Fan of Amp1. But Amp 2 has some Qualities i like. DIY 3,5mm Cable with Moonaudio Blue Dragon Wire Dac to Amp.
First try was my trusty Sennheiser HD 540 Gold 600 Ohm. Yeah, what a full but natural 3D Sound with great Noteweight , Deep Stage , great combo, no contest to the Ampout of Amp 2. Everything was shrinked ,powerless and blurry. Back to PA10 , tried the different Curent Bias . First Stage is what i was listing to. Second Stage with 50ma current . Gee, everything was lower in Volume and not very resolving. 3. Stage 100 ma current. The same but worse. After a short Thought it made Sense to me. The 600 Ohm Load from HD 540 was the Reason. High Impedance Headphones doesn t require lots of Current but high Voltage.
So with gaining the Current, it seems i lowered the Voltage . At a given Power , Ohms Law came around the Corner. u=i*r , r =u/I ,i= u/R . Ok .
The normal Biaspoint of the Amp was indeed mindblowing good with HD 540.

Then i connected my Looto Paw Gold . I pluged my Massdrop Plus, A IEM i know like my Pocket because i use him for mixingwork ,when i am at home or on the road. With Looto Paw Gold and DX 200 Amp 8 he has a great neutral Frequenzyresponse , with a moderat not very deep Stage. After plugging him to PA 10 i couldn t believe what i was hearing. i put him out of my Ears to confirm it s Himself. Wow, such a big, deep Stage with such a Authoryty. a workinghorse became a PartyKing. Don t know what to say. The other Biasstages . 50ma . Stronger Noteweight bigger Authoryty, stronger Bass Quantity . 100ma even more of this but for my Taste it was too much. But at 50ma, what a Truck.
Next was Fearless S8f (15 Ohm ). A Bugdged Detailmonster . Fast but sometimes a little thin, quiet agressive Uppermidrange and moderat Bass in Quantity but great Quality for a BA Bass. Expansive , not too deep and hight Stage
Pa 10 made him also somehow a different IEM . I love was i was hearing . Much bigger Stage in Deep and High. Authoritarian is the Word probaly. Better Bass , better uppermids, more natural Highs. First Biasstage was great, 50 ma made him more fun and thicker sounding , not shure if i like it , the jury is still out. But it s great that i can easy switch between the Modes . 100 ma , naa , too much, it s getting blurry.
Fearless Roland Roland ( 5 Ohm ) . Hmm, Ohms Law punish again. The 1 Ohm ( quiet High ) or so Outputimpedance of PA 10 comes into play. Not a perfect Impedancematch. Stage was great, Vocals sounded great but a little darker ( is this even possible with Roland ?) .At louder Listininglevels the highs where even less and i thought i can hear some Distortion. The Mids sounded spectaculär and i think i never heard the Guitars of Slipnot like this, absolutly brilliant. But the Highs ? I am Not sure if i like it. When switched to the Ampout of Looto PG the highs where back, ( on a low level like the nature of Roland. ) When listing very low ( my main listing Level ) everything was back how i am used to. But the Stage was shrinked and everything was more diffuse, but still on a great Level. But the Highs were back although LPG has also a quiet high outputimpedance. For me i like Roland best with my Ibasso DX 200 Amp 8 ( 0, 3 Ohm Output balanced )
Was not very happy with the Lineout of Amp 1 and Ibasso DX 80.
I am very happy i bought PA 10 , it was a good idea to buy. It left a Hole in my Pocket but it s worth it for me. For" normal " IEMS and Overears 10- 300 Ohm it s also a good Impedancematch if you want to use the different currentstages. For the "normal" lowest setting every Iem over 10 ohm and Highimpedance Overears are more than fine.
The sheer Power, big but natural 3D Stage and the ability to launch another dynamic Rocket if asked for . Very special.
Please take my words with a grain of Salt , it s a very personal Opinion.
My PA 10 hasn t much Hours on the clock , so it might change a little over Time. Most of the Time Things get better after Burnin, but not always, sometimes it s the opposit ( for my taste )
Greetings
Lothar

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #32 of 600
I can understand that using the A&K PA10 together with older models of AK DAPs or other brands and that it elevates the musical experience but
it is difficult for me to understand the use of PA10 with SP2000 and CA1000 products that sound really good, it improves it even more?
After all, they already play well, which I had the pleasure of listening to.
If so, this amp is a real hit.
There are only few reviews and videos about this amplifier.
There is probably something to it that the latest DAP A&K SE300 also uses a Class A amplifier.

Does this amp get very hot during operation?

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #33 of 600
I can understand that using the A&K PA10 together with older models of AK DAPs or other brands and that it elevates the musical experience
Lotoo Paw Gold and Ibasso dx 200 with Amp 8 still can hold a candle today .
New is not always compelling better,
soundpresentation is also a matter of taste. Sp3000 is better for shure. (€€€€)
Look at the size of Pa 10 , lots of circuit inside. Not shure if you can fit it 1:1 in a DAP.
No.
At least i didn t reconized something.
Lotoo, DX 200 gets hot.

Greetings

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #34 of 600
I can understand that using the A&K PA10 together with older models of AK DAPs or other brands and that it elevates the musical experience but
it is difficult for me to understand the use of PA10 with SP2000 and CA1000 products that sound really good, it improves it even more?
After all, they already play well, which I had the pleasure of listening to.
If so, this amp is a real hit.
There are only few reviews and videos about this amplifier.
There is probably something to it that the latest DAP A&K SE300 also uses a Class A amplifier.

This thing get warm only if you use both gain and current on max.

May 16, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #35 of 600
I've seen some reviews of the Astell & Kern PA10, they say it's a good investment in sound quality and this amplifier can be used even after changing the DAP.
It shook my values a bit when according to these testers PA10 connected to SP2000,SP2000T!? or A&K CA1000 and such a set increases the sound quality.
Just yesterday I would probably buy one of these DAP models and now it's better to stay with M11 Plus Ltd but should I buy A&K PA10?
If you have your own thoughts and use PA10, I'd love to hear them.
Is it better to focus on the more expensive DAP without PA10 or the cheaper but with the same PA10 class A amplifier?

May 16, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #36 of 600
Just yesterday I would probably buy one of these DAP models and now it's better to stay with M11 Plus Ltd but should I buy A&K PA10?
A sp2000 fits in a pocket, it s good for on the go. with the Brick of a PA 10 you probably don t want to go for a walk, ,if you have deep big Pockets it s possible though.
Does the M11m plus has a real Lineout or just a Powerout claimed as a Lineout.? with a real Lineout you probably have something great with the PA10. But as i said before sound is a matter of taste. some people prefer the "colder, analytic sound of ESS Converters to AKM ,Cyrus, BurrBrown, etc. . I think there is no good or bad at a certain soundlevel you defenetly reached with your M11 plus.. If it hisses or distort it is something else, of course. PA10 can deliver something most , even Desktoplevel Gear can t deliver with the different current bias. If you really need it is a different Question. I personally love it because it takes some of my IEM s into anthother sphere.
If you have your own thoughts and use PA10, I'd love to hear them.
Is it better to focus on the more expensive DAP without PA10 or the cheaper but with the same PA10 class A amplifier?
Get yourself a expensive Dap with a Pa10,-- i am just kidding, sorry couldn t resist.

It s a very difficult Question. For me PA 10 brings something to the Table most Daps can t. It s also difficult to compare a Headphone out from most Daps with it s limited space inside left for a amp, with a full blown Battery powered high end Amp .you also have limitations from the Powersuppy in a Dap, so a direct coupled, condenserfree Signalflow is most of the Times not possible. The (cheap small smd ) capitors can make the sound blurry and cloudy. i am personally not the biggest Fan of Integrated circuits,, op amps ,specially as Poweramps . Its my subjective experience from 30 Years of building and modding Recordingequipment. Others will disagree of course. My personal Dreamcombi would be a ibasso DX 320 with modded amp12 or 14 Lineout in a cayin c9 or Pa 10 Amp.
Cheap, expensive, does it really matter today ? i could show you some mobile amps at Aliexpress that are incredible incredible good , Tube ,Class A , but no fake stuff but every bits of circuit is extremly well done, with a full blown Powersupply delivers high Voltage for the Tubes etc. i can t believe how they can do it . Do i want a amp like this? . Probably not .or at least not in contest with something like a Pa10. I want to have a good Feeling with my Gear.
It s good to feel good about your gear and be happy what you have, that doesn t mean not to Upgrade if you feel so . But always beeing unhappy with given Gear doesn t make happy.
Greetings
Lothar

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #37 of 600
#Lothar16 - Of course I agree with you Lothar, such a DAP+PA10 set is not handy and cannot be put in a pocket.
It's more of an equipment to take somewhere with you on a trip, a journey in mixing movement with it.
Personally, I don't walk with a DAP and in my life I've seen maybe a few people who had large DAPs with them.

Have I heard class A stationary amplifiers in my life, of course
but I know how expensive they are and how complicated their construction is and how power-consuming they are - and here A&K in PA10 offers class A in the mini version.

This joke about DAP with amp class-A - it's happening and already Astell&Kern is releasing a new SE 300 model -new road in DAPs class-A :)
and the constant search for this natural sound - this is audio passion we like this.

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #38 of 600
#Lothar16 Is it possible to listen and charge A&K PA10 at the same time, ? - if yes - whether hums are heard during charge
Does the potentiometer for very small initial volumes have channel balance? (both channels play at the same volume)

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #39 of 600
Can definitely have it on charge when listening. No noise. The volume control is very smooth and no issues with channel balance for me, although I do generally have it at about 50%, and the DAP output adjusted accordingly. Not sure you'll use it at very low settings much.

B

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #40 of 600
#stellk3rn - thank you for replying.
Sometimes I want to turn down very low on very sensitive IEMs.
I've had several IFI DACs/Amps and most had the very annoying volume difference issue at very low volume.
From complete silence, do you hear two channels evenly by slightly raising the volume from the start?

A&K reserves that there may be a slight hum when using CrossFeed
- have you noticed this yourself? CrossFeed is an interesting feature, do you think it's useful or is it a gimmick?

Jun 5, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #42 of 600
I've had several IFI DACs/Amps and most had the very annoying volume difference issue at very low volume.
From complete silence, do you hear two channels evenly by slightly raising the volume from the start?

- have you noticed this yourself? CrossFeed is an interesting feature, do you think it's useful or is it a gimmick?
I have checked the above. Definitely could not tell any balance difference at lowest volume.

Is there maybe a slight hum when on the charger? Very subtle possibly. The device has a very low noise floor in general.

As for Crossfeed, I like it for some music. It feels quite natural, more like my home loudspeaker system and suits some music such as a simple voice and acoustic guitar, choral music and maybe a live album, basically where the production is simple and a wide left/right (rather than more integrated) soundstage might be rather artificial. If the music is more complex, heavily produced and intricate I probably prefer it switched off. Not sure if I explained that well!

It definitely wouldn't be a deal breaker if absent from the device but since it doesn't degrade the sound perhaps nice to have. I can't hear any hum when it is engaged.

Hope this helps

B
waiting for my PA 10 to arrive, reading all your impressions are really dangerous! LOL

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #43 of 600

Very low volume on sensitive on my set have imbalance.

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #44 of 600
If there is any imbalance at the very lowest level then the amp surely can be used a few more percent into the range and the DAP output turned down? I had to use my AK DAP at a very high output to hear any discernible output at the lowest PA10 volume setting (with a pretty sensitive IEM). This seems a rather 'unbalanced' way to use it to me.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #45 of 600
If there is any imbalance at the very lowest level then the amp surely can be used a few more percent into the range and the DAP output turned down? I had to use my AK DAP at a very high output to hear any discernible output at the lowest PA10 volume setting (with a pretty sensitive IEM). This seems a rather 'unbalanced' way to use it to me.
I use music app turn down the gain to up the volume of pa10 to balance it. But not all music app have this gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back