Astell&Kern-no longer supported
May 5, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #46 of 58
Chances are that I am much older than you, hence my resilience to change. We older people don't carry on like pork chops. We shrug our shoulders and move on.

TBH, streaming wasn't a consideration when I bought my SP1000m. I started streaming as an afterthought. I rarely stream at all, the only times I've streamed recently is when a new album has dropped and I haven't downloaded it.

My age has certainly defined my listening habits.

May 5, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #47 of 58
Well your summarization is wrong. Problem was not created by AK nor the standards tidal accepts. That's all on tidal.

Yes your solution is a workaround tidal bs. Better solution is to ditch tidal and use qobuz or a different streaming solution.

God forbid Tidal wants to drop support for 7 year old API endpoints. Their minimum requirement for Android is 6, which is nearing 6 years old. Supporting manufacturers that pump out DAPs that can't support current at release versions of Android means that you're going to have this happen to you.

A far better solution is to get the newest version of Android you possibly can. Or you're just going to have to accept it. Quobuz isn't going to support older versions of Android forever either. And Android 5 is old, and supporting it is a liability for the streaming services.

May 5, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #48 of 58
I think Jaime Sommers got the ear... :relaxed:

As far as support lifetime goes, I would propose 3 years after the item is discontinued/no longer sold as a reasonable period. This gets a little cloudy for purpose built devices like DAPs however, as loss of core advertised functions renders it unusable to some degree. Longer support would be better in this case.
Bugger, Steve Austin had the bionic eye! I tend to forget things due to my old age and all.....

Ps: is 49 old?

May 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #49 of 58
Bugger, Steve Austin had the bionic eye! I tend to forget things due to my old age and all.....

49 is young to me... 59 here, and yes I watched the shows and read the Caidin novels as a teen... I immediately got the reference.

May 5, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #50 of 58

Sure is older than 30... maybe it’s time you stop lecturing those who are younger and more able than you old timer and get back in line for your bus pass 😉... maybe get yourself a pair of skullcandy’s and be done with all of this audio malarkey.

May 5, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #51 of 58
Chances are that I am much older than you, hence my resilience to change. We older people don't carry on like pork chops. We shrug our shoulders and move on.

TBH, streaming wasn't a consideration when I bought my SP1000m. I started streaming as an afterthought. I rarely stream at all, the only times I've streamed recently is when a new album has dropped and I haven't downloaded it.

My age has certainly defined my listening habits.

I bought my SP1000M primarily for the simultaneously announced Roon Ready support. I assume you know how that went...

May 5, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #52 of 58
Sure is older than 30... maybe it’s time you stop lecturing those who are younger and more able than you old timer and get back in line for your bus pass 😉... maybe get yourself a pair of skullcandy’s and be done with all of this audio malarkey.

Yeah, we can't hear above 12 kHz anyway... What's the use of MQA and high resolution Tidal??? :sunglasses:

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #53 of 58
Maybe I should dig out my Walkman and complain to Sony why it doesn't stream. 😉

Either way, I'm loving the SP1000m paired with the Andromeda, with ocasionally streaming by the inferior side loaded apk Tidal app.

May 5, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #54 of 58
Yeah, we can't hear above 12 kHz anyway... What's the use of MQA and high resolution Tidal... :sunglasses:
Haha exactly, do yourselves a favour and get spotify basic or an MP3 player... you’ll be saving yourself a boat load of cash 😉 in all seriousness, each to their own and I’m sure there are those aged 69 and over that have much better hearing than myself... but there is a link between aging and hearing ability 🤷🏻‍♂️ Don’t shoot the messenger... as long as you enjoy the music and don’t try to tell others what they hear then all is good in the world... right old timer? @dolphy007

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #55 of 58
@Tristy as the Fonze would say "Correctamundo"

May 5, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #56 of 58
You must have golden ears or Steve Austin enhancements us mere mortals never received.

My 2c is that the blame should lay with Tidal. Why would a company spend time an effort for a zero dollar return? Would you?

Should AK support their daps indefinitely? What would an acceptable cut off be?
I do use my players to stream Tidal. I purchased my Kann 2 years ago and it cost me $2000 Canadian dollars. Now I can’t steam Tidal anymore. This was the main reason I purchased this second AK product. It cost me $1000 a year for its 2 years of use and now it’s no longer serving its initial purpose.
My AK380 was close to $4000 new. It is also “unsupported” and can’t stream Tidal. AK players are way to expensive to just say sorry that product is unsupported.

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #58 of 58
Ah, seems that its not just me then! I tried to log into Tidal on my AK70mkII and had no luck. Well, it is a 3 months free trial, and it works on my Phone and PC fine, would be nice on the AK, but .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back