Astell&Kern-no longer supported
May 4, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #31 of 58
Honestly I don't see the value of the embedded tidal app at this point. The apk version is much more feature rich. I'd rather the developers spend time fixing other bugs, upgrading the OS and adding real features, such as Roon Ready support to more players... The fact the the SP1000M doesn't yet have this feature is infuriating (at least to me). :sunglasses:
Well I think they should spend time fixing it. I like the embedded app and despite popular belief, I believe it offers better sound quality over the side loaded app.

May 4, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #32 of 58
Well I think they should spend time fixing it. I like the embedded app and despite popular belief, I believe it offers better sound quality over the side loaded app.
Valid point. I wonder why they would sound different? JasonNYC has repeatedly said that the apk version bypasses SRC and unfolds MQA.

May 4, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #33 of 58
Valid point. I wonder why they would sound different? JasonNYC has repeatedly said that the apk version bypasses SRC and unfolds MQA.
I don't know but I had tested it quite a few times as I thought I was going crazy and I plan to do another comparison when the embedded app is back up and running. Each time it was pretty noticeable to me on both the Kann Cube and SE200.... The strange thing is, this isn't the case with the SR25's embedded and side-loaded Tidal apps.

May 4, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #34 of 58
I don't know but I had tested it quite a few times as I thought I was going crazy and I plan to do another comparison when the embedded app is back up and running. Each time it was pretty noticeable to me on both the Kann Cube and SE200.... The strange thing is, this isn't the case with the SR25's embedded and side-loaded Tidal apps.

Actually I used the embedded Tidal until it broke, now using APK version, so I've never compared the two. There is, of course, a potential explanation that I have previously suspected, but I accepted the answer given when asked.

May 4, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #35 of 58
Actually I used the embedded Tidal until it broke, now using APK version, so I've never compared the two. There is, of course, a potential explanation that I have previously suspected, but I accepted the answer given when asked.
Something fruity is going on for sure... But I do agree with your OS and feature comments also... I don't think it's too much to ask for both tbh given the price hike of these players.

May 4, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #36 of 58
Really? For example, on SE200, local file vs qobuz apk streaming (same album edition and master) there are no differences.

May 4, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #37 of 58
I'd rather the developers spend time fixing other bugs, upgrading the OS and adding real features, such as Roon Ready support to more players... The fact the the SP1000M doesn't yet have this feature is infuriating (at least to me). :sunglasses:
Exactly, I agree. At least 1000M still gets support. SA700, despite its young age (2years), still has a lot of problems, no support since last September, despite reporting problems. TIDAL and Roon are my last concern

May 4, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #39 of 58
I don't use Qubuz, I'm talking in relation to the Tidal embedded and side loaded app.
As stated by ak there is no difference. You want to perceive a difference so you do. You don't see the little green light so you think it sounds different.

May 4, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #40 of 58
I don't use Qubuz, I'm talking in relation to the Tidal embedded and side loaded app.
Right, but the principle is the same.
If you sense differences between the Tidal embedded and the Tidal apk this means that a&k, in their daps, uses the android audio stack. Instead, a&k (and Jason) has repeatedly said that the audio stack is customized and you always ear at the maximum output of the file streamed, without blending anything.

May 4, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #41 of 58
If you sense differences between the Tidal embedded and the Tidal apk this means that a&k, in their daps, uses the android audio stack. Instead, a&k (and Jason) has repeatedly said that the audio stack is customized and you always ear at the maximum output of the file streamed, without blending anything.
I'm not going to keep repeating myself. I am aware of what A&K have said but if you read my previous comments this isn't the case to my ears (and to many others if you search the threads of some AK players). If you aren't able to hear a difference then good for you! I on the other hand, would prefer to use the embedded app if for nothing more than seeing the various colours around the volume wheel of my SE200 (another USP that doesn't work correctly via the side loaded app).

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #42 of 58

I know that Tidal sometimes has to make changes to the app when new players are introduced to get full MQA support (i.e. the Shanling M3X which was recently released). I wonder if that may be the case here. Maybe not all A&K devices are supported... πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

May 5, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #43 of 58
You must have golden ears or Steve Austin enhancements us mere mortals never received.

My 2c is that the blame should lay with Tidal. Why would a company spend time an effort for a zero dollar return? Would you?

Should AK support their daps indefinitely? What would an acceptable cut off be?

May 5, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #44 of 58
You must have golden ears or Steve Austin enhancements us mere mortals never received.

My 2c is that the blame should lay with Tidal. Why would a company spend time an effort for a zero dollar return? Would you?

Zero dollar return? How's that? This issue has quite obviously ruffled the feathers of quite a few owners so it would be in AK's interest financially to keep existing customers happy. As is said in business, it's cheaper to keep an existing customer than trying to gain a new one. I have no skin in the game regarding the older models, my beef is just with the embedded app.... and the chances are my ears are a lot younger than yours which would answer your snarky comment.

May 5, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #45 of 58

I think Jaime Sommers got the ear... :relaxed:

As far as support lifetime goes, I would propose 3 years after the item is discontinued/no longer sold as a reasonable period. This gets a little cloudy for purpose built devices like DAPs however, as loss of core advertised functions renders it unusable to some degree. Longer support would be better in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back