Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #4,876 of 5,856
How to compare with 64audio Fourte Noir? I have it and want to try EE Odin too.
So I have been running the Fourte Noir against Odin for the past few days to see which one really nailed it... Here's how I score it so far..

TLDR; Odin

*Disclaimer*

From what I understand reading about the Noir, it seems like 64 Audio attempt at pleasing the crowd who wanted a bit more bass and density in the lower mids while maintaining most of the staging and detail of OG Fourte. So this isn't necessarily an apples to apples comparison to the OG Fourte. I imagine some things will be representative of both being that the Noir is a shifted version of the OG Fourte but retains some similarities. Huge shout out to @Ojisan for sending and trusting me with his Noir, which as many know are limited edition and not easy to come by.

Sub bass: Odin - It's not even close enough or worth talking about, Odin is leagues ahead.
Mid bass: Noir - The elevation in the mid bass lends to a bit more punch in some passages which I enjoy. Odin rolls off here a bit sooner than I like for some songs but that's what I have the LX for. I understand the Odin prioritizes clarity over all else and this tuning makes sense for that.
Bass texture / detail: Odin - The excursion in 30-50 hz bass sounds amazing with Odin. It performs like a large well built ported subwoofer box would. It's guttural.

Lower mids: Odin - I like them neutral here. I find too much warmth in lower mids can interfere with vocals and other registers as they transition into upper mids. Odin takes the realism and adds less coloration.
Upper mids: Tie - Tonality here is very similar. Noir is more distant but makes its way to the ear clearly. Odin is more in your head but at around the perceived level of Noir. Interesting this is this is where I suspect both IEM's create their space. More on that below.

Lower treble: Odin - Odin just seems a little more accurate here and isn't fatiguing. The Noir at times begs for your attention here. Not always a good thing.
Upper treble / Air: Tie - The winner here should be the Odin considering it tied the Tia for treble. The reality is they are both great. This one is a toss up.
Treble tonality: Odin - Odin sounds a bit more true to form with treble, especially cymbals. The Tia adds a bit too much sshhhhhh whereas Odin keeps it real. If there's anything I know about music it's how cymbals sound. My cousin has been a prodigy since he was 7 so needless to say I have heard drums in all types of acoustic and non-acoustic environments.

Staging: Odin - sounds a bit more out of the head, especially behind the head sometimes.
Imaging: Tie: They both image well.
Width: Odin - The lord of norse has quite a wide, out of head delivery for most everything besides vocals.
Height: Tie - They both sound wider than they do tall.
Separation: Odin - The separation of Odin makes no sense to me being that vocals are in your head. Outside of the vocals, everything comes form somewhere else. The imaging and separation here truly creates a great experience.
Layering: Odin - Everything lives on its own island with Odin. It nudges out the Noir here, mostly because of the depth it can achieve while still being a tad more edged than Noir.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #4,877 of 5,856
Both Odin & Fourte Noir pair very well with SP2000. Odin has more forward upper mids and has a leaner, clarity focused tonality. Bass has a sub bass bias and is very dynamic, however it is not as elevated compared to Fourte Noir.

Fourte Noir has more mid bass elevation, with warmer lower mids and a thicker, more analogue tonality. Upper mids are more recessed compared to Odin. Treble has plenty of presence and sparkle but can sound a bit harsher around the 7khz range compared to Odin on certain tracks.

Both have large soundstages. Fourte noir expands wider, but Odin has better depth and height. Odin is technically superior to Fourte Noir, with better detail retrieval, faster transient speed, and does a better job at layering and instrument separation. Imaging is also more precise on Odin. Odin also sounds more coherent between drivers. Noir bass can sound a little disjointed from mids and treble, but isn’t as bad as others like Tia Trio. I haven’t heard OG Fourte so I can’t comment on how they compare in that regard.

Hope this helps :)

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #4,879 of 5,856
I take it there is no news of a dedicated amp for this model
Yesit’s more powerful than the SP1000 for sure,but would make sense. Would enable people to squeeze more out of full size cans and would I imagine improve battery life from usb c.?

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #4,880 of 5,856
hi, is there anyone here who cannot use apple music on their sp2000? the app crashed every time when i downloaded the newest version after accepting the user agreements. just wanna try out the lossless quality and the spatial audio/dolby sound which is available just a day ago

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #4,881 of 5,856
hi, is there anyone here who cannot use apple music on their sp2000? the app crashed every time when i downloaded the newest version after accepting the user agreements. just wanna try out the lossless quality and the spatial audio/dolby sound which is available just a day ago
The issue is being looked into. Also, the current version of the Android app DOES NOT support Apple Lossless. Still waiting on an update to the Android app that will add lossless.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #4,883 of 5,856
I would like to say, it must suck to manufacture DAPs today. To make sure every app works and then works lossless and all of the sudden Apple comes lossless and then next Spotify. AK has always side loaded fine for me.

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #4,884 of 5,856
Thanks,
When youre looking for a full sound with solid bass, how do the legend x compare to odin?
If you’re looking for a fuller, warmer sound with insane bass, look no further than Legend X. It pairs extremely well with SP2K in my opinion too :)

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #4,885 of 5,856
Has anyone yet should try EE Valkyrie MK ||? Specs sound very powerful. Kato-San. Wizard nemesis. Good competition Iem world wide open again - did it ever leave. Bring on dancing horses and turn fento clock up to 11

Attachments

• 238CB36C-0204-4F14-BD58-824F19297AA3.jpeg
    238CB36C-0204-4F14-BD58-824F19297AA3.jpeg
    698.4 KB · Views: 0
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #4,887 of 5,856
Has anyone tried listening to hi-res Apple Music albums on their iPad using AK connect app? The albums show up in AK Connect alright, but when you click on anyone of the albums, the tracks appear faded out and won't play.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #4,888 of 5,856
Has anyone tried listening to hi-res Apple Music albums on their iPad using AK connect app? The albums show up in AK Connect alright, but when you click on anyone of the albums, the tracks appear faded out and won't play.
As far as I am aware Jason is onto it as it will require update, And possibly additional tweaks when Spotify follow suit..

The only constant in life is change, who said that? Heriiclitous

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #4,889 of 5,856
As far as I am aware Jason is onto it as it will require update, And possibly additional tweaks when Spotify follow suit..

The only constant in life is change, who said that? Heriiclitous
OK great - that's good to hear. Let's hope its sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back