Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Apr 8, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #4,501 of 5,848
For bright headphones/IEMs with treble peaks, I tend to like the NOS (Super Slow Roll-Off) as treble takes a seat back in the presentation while mids are more prominent. For warm headphones, the default minimum phase fast roll off (short delay sharp roll off) is nice, and for the most bass impact, widest soundstage and extended treble, the linear phase fast roll off (sharp roll off) is the choice. The apodizing filter (low dispersion) dials down on the elements from the linear phase fast roll off (soundstage, impact and treble extension) in return for a more smooth and relaxed presentation
Thank you for that info 👌🏼

Apr 9, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #4,505 of 5,848
Well I prefer bacon over eggs lmao, but to each there own. I’m sure a lot of us had that question in mind.
You just answered your own question and made my point for me. They are sound flavors and they are entirely subjective. Especially considering the fact that anyone over the age of 40 has already started experiencing high frequency hearing loss. So no two people hear things the same way, so what TheVeteran hears is again, entirely subjective and may not apply to you. Especially if you have young ears and the other person has old ears. Some people lack the sensitivity to perceive any difference at all and will firmly state "it does not matter". Then there is the psychology of confirmation bias, as well as placebo effect that further influences what an individual hears. I stand by my original statement, try them all and pick the sound flavor that you like. There is no better, only opinions.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #4,506 of 5,848
So I like to listen to sp2000 but also move around house with iems in ( occasional full headphones)

bout find trying to put it put in a pant pocket with a headphone jack that sticks straight up ( no right angle), I get worried when it leans in pocket it might snap-- anyone have a way to carry on waist or similar so it'd be more secure?
You could start wearing a brazier on the outside of your shirt and place the DAP in one cup and your Machina Dynamica's Brilliant Pebbles in the other cup, for quick access. If you already wear a brazier you can just move up a cup size to fit the DAP and Brilliant Pebbles. This is what I do anyway, provides more freedom I find compared to the jock strap method I used last year.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #4,507 of 5,848
Sp2000 arrived today
vdNQ9ac.jpg
In case you're wondering, i'm using $10 Sony earbuds for burn in. I don't believe in burn'in.
Sooooo, you dont believe in burn in, but you are doing it anyway because........?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #4,510 of 5,848
Chris, I mean no disrespect, but our brains are finicky...we can perceive differences that aren't factually there. Having a case on or off of a DAP will not affect the sound. The SP2000 is build like a tank, the internals are shielded from objects outside of the frame.
He would definitely love Machina Dynamica's Brilliant Pebbles!!

Attachments

• mikro-pebbles.jpg
    mikro-pebbles.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #4,511 of 5,848
Sooooo, you dont believe in burn in, but you are doing it anyway because........?
Hi, nice to see you taking life so seriously.
For curiosities sake. I believe at that time, I had received the player but was still deciding on which IEM's to purchase, as such I decided to make a joke out of the only earbuds I had at the time.

I don't believe in burn in as I've never experience it personally and because I don't think it can be reasonably assessed. Between potential unit variation and periods of hundreds of hours.

Regarding the case, there is an audible difference when using the full bodies Dignis case. Bass is more bloomy less punchy/tight, top end less 'airy' for lack of better words. I first noticed it inadvertently while listening and cleaning. This took me by surprise and only after a few minutes did I consider that the case being taken on/off was the only variable.

Have a nice day.

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #4,512 of 5,848
I'm happy to announce that my SP2000 cu is back after few days on RMA! all files are working well.
Astell&Kern customer service did a good job on it.
My combo SP2000 cu + Empire Ears Odin is fully ringing now...
Thank you to @JasonNYC for his support

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #4,513 of 5,848
I'm happy to announce that my SP2000 cu is back after few days on RMA! all files are working well.
Astell&Kern customer service did a good job on it.
My combo SP2000 cu + Empire Ears Odin is fully ringing now...
Thank you to @JasonNYC for his support
I also want to chime in. I had an entirely cosmetic issue with my Vegas Gold sp2k.

I noticed the problem outside of the first two weeks and fully expected the UK dealer to not do anything about it. @JasonNYC went all the way to HQ in South Korea, which certainly helped a great deal.

I ended up getting a brand new unit.

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #4,514 of 5,848
AAF6CA6C-770A-4A8A-B736-254685309087.jpeg

Early morning listening with the SP2000Cu, amplified by the PhatLab Chimera and listening off the Focal Utopia, TianWaiTian cables by CEMA store. The cables are an alloy of copper, silver, palladium and gold. What I am pleased about the Chimera is that there is a choice of SS or tube, and it remains cool to the touch. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back