Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 26, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,731 of 5,840
I'm not going to believe there's a sound change with the firmware versions unless someone tells me they did an A/B comparison with two units. Preferably with a spectrum analyzer. I think it's too hard to compare subtle potential changes by memory when it takes 3-4 mins. to do the firmware upgrade.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #2,733 of 5,840
Jason is an exemplary rep for AK and an asset to the company. I would hire him in a heartbeat.

After contemplating about what to do about the deteriorating sq of the sp2000 and listening to some tracks that I remembered as sounding astounding before the deterioration, (because they sounded so underwhelming), I decided to erase everything by going to system reset -> factory data reset. I figured I have nothing to lose at this point. I thought it would set everything back to fresh out of the box state, but the fw did not go back to the factory setting but remained at 1.19. So, they are correct in saying that you cannot go back. Everything on the internal hard drive was erased, as expected and I had to download Tidal and Qobuz again which didn't take up too much time. So far, I am liking what I am hearing and am hopeful that fixed the deteriorating sq. Listening to the same tracks is also promising, sounding more clear, crisp, and dynamic... anything that reverberates and gives sense of the space in which recording took place is back on par. Someone here also said theirs sounded flat, which I agree with wholeheartedly, like an opened can of coke that has been sitting out all day. It is little too soon to tell and I will probably need about a week of listening to be sure, but I do not want to sell it off like I did before I did the factory reset. It might be worth trying if you are having the same problem.

I cannot explain or understand what is happening, but I think the effect is incremental and additive with many fw updates. In other words, the sq on your sp2000 might vary if you purchased it only a month or two ago having to update only one or two fw's compared to someone who's had 3-4 updates, etc. Just my guess by reading between the lines of the different reactions of the members on this thread. I had mine since the release and went through all of the updates. I think it is also possible that only someone like me are experiencing the deterioration, and equally possible that the amount of deterioration varies.

I hope this helps some of the owners here in despair.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #2,740 of 5,840
After listening throughout the day, I am pretty confident that factory data reset has fully restored the sound quality to the original.
Also happy to report the 30-45 second delay in starting Qobuz is fixed with the reset as well. It wasn't the new Qobuz version.

Feb 27, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,742 of 5,840
Something should be done regarding playlist files management, if the FW decrease the SQ and we shall do a factory reset all the times, it means rebuild manually all playlist files, while I have many with 999 files content for each.

Feb 27, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #2,743 of 5,840
Hi. So, it wasn't a sound quality issue with FW 1.19?
I don't think any of the FW updates actually deal with sound quality, despite what some people believe. AK, according to Jason, never changes the sound quality of any of their daps with FW. The change in sound quality I believe is unintentional and a byproduct of complicated bug fixes that delays, loops, and reroutes the data in the background. I think factory data reset sort of erased all the left over garbage from prior FWs and just run 1.19 purely by itself.
Something should be done regarding playlist files management, if the FW decrease the SQ and we shall do a factory reset all the times, it means rebuild manually all playlist files, while I have many with 999 files content for each.
Tell me about it, Sam. Royal pain in the rear! But, I figured if I don't do anything, all I have is a dap with bad sound quality which is basically a paper weight.
I hope Jason and AK can figure out how to do the FW updates properly in the future even at the cost of updates taking longer to install.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #2,744 of 5,840
How can I streaming from iphone’s bluetooth to Sp2000? As I know, Ak connect can use to stream only music from the phone or tidal in same wifi connection. I just moved from Sony and wm1a has this option which is very useful when I watch netflix in the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back