Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 7, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #2,446 of 5,840
Those of you with the copper version what are you noticing with the FW upgrade?
Nothing. Maybe my ears are too old and not sensitive enough...

Feb 7, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #2,447 of 5,840
Those of you with the copper version what are you noticing with the FW upgrade?
I'm getting used to the new firmware with no luck. My initial emotions haven't changed.
Before, I had lots of engagement, and sound listening was a pleasant thing so far. Now it's more like "background music" listening.

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #2,450 of 5,840
About sound Quality, There is no change to my ears with the new firmware. I don't want the downgrade option, and to me there is no need that AK implement that possibility.

Several years now I'm requesting for a better playlist management and no one support me on my request.
@JasonNYC if AK does not do something to improve playlist management, may be I'm going to sell all my AK DAPs and move definitively for Sony, which IMO is great!
i have ordered most of daps since AK120, AK120II, AK120 Titan, AK380cu and SS, AK1000ss, and now the last, every time with amps. I consider that taking my request in consideration is the minimum.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #2,451 of 5,840
Surely they could fix this if they allowed backwoods compatible. Down load previous firmware from AK web site maybe.
Just a thought

It would also mean that you could be stuck with an annoying bug in an older version, because you happen to like the sound of it better than the newer firmware. That would be undesirable in my opinion.

Not to mention that if they choose to support a new app, they would have to test it in multiple firmware versions, which would take a lot more time.

It would only end up holding back firmware development, as any company has limited resources they can spend on different things.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2,452 of 5,840
It would also mean that you could be stuck with an annoying bug in an older version, because you happen to like the sound of it better than the newer firmware. That would be undesirable in my opinion.

Not to mention that if they choose to support a new app, they would have to test it in multiple firmware versions, which would take a lot more time.

It would only end up holding back firmware development, as any company has limited resources they can spend on different things.

...but then it's my choice to live with a bug or live with the sound I prefer. Again: on the AK380 it was possible to restore the firmware to an older version. I have invested a lot of money in this product and I want to get the best possible result out of it and if the manufacturer doesn't pay attention to this, I will look for another product.

Should I now have to fear with every update that the sound will be negatively affected because the developers are not doing their job properly ? Should I be afraid that my car will slow down after I have taken it to the service ?

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #2,453 of 5,840
Sure. But it seems that bug wasn’t annoying for many. I never saw any notification of its existence among plenty of sugar reviews.
New firmware struggled that drawback well, but overall sonic performance decreased drastically.

Feb 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #2,454 of 5,840
Sure. But it seems that bug wasn’t annoying for many. I never saw any notification of its existence among plenty of sugar reviews.
New firmware struggled that drawback well, but overall sonic performance decreased drastically.
I agree, but is AK listening ? It would be nice for them to chip in. I did not believe any change in sound until this latest fw. The highs are shrill and muddled wish I kept around 1.16 I did not notice any bugs that bothered me and I don't bother to stream anyway.

Feb 7, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #2,455 of 5,840
BTW, I think that Astell&Kern have to allow return to earlier versions of firmware. Especially in so expensive model as SP2000.

The problem with returning back to previous fw versions is that every new release fixes bugs and optimizes the performance, so rolling back will mean re-introducing old problems and people complaining again about it :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2,456 of 5,840
SP2000CU plus Toneking to 600,pure heaven IMG_20200207_205704.jpg

Feb 7, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #2,457 of 5,840
I agree, but is AK listening ? It would be nice for them to chip in. I did not believe any change in sound until this latest fw. The highs are shrill and muddled wish I kept around 1.16 I did not notice any bugs that bothered me and I don't bother to stream anyway.
Well I have this discussion over the Sony 1A/1Z thread. One user suggested that the reason why Sony's fw can be rolled back whereas many other daps cannot is because Sony is using an in house developed operating system which made it easier to roll back. With other system including AK, they are using a version of Android and it is not easy to do roll back with Android. With regard to your concern regarding whether AK is listening, go and try the Sony thread over 2104 pages and there is not a Sony rep answering anyone's question. I appreciate Jason comments here, he may not answer to everyone satisfaction, but I really cannot say AK is not responsive to the users concern.

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2,458 of 5,840
Well I have this discussion over the Sony 1A/1Z thread. One user suggested that the reason why Sony's fw can be rolled back whereas many other daps cannot is because Sony is using an in house developed operating system which made it easier to roll back. With other system including AK, they are using a version of Android and it is not easy to do roll back with Android. With regard to your concern regarding whether AK is listening, go and try the Sony thread over 2104 pages and there is not a Sony rep answering anyone's question. I appreciate Jason comments here, he may not answer to everyone satisfaction, but I really cannot say AK is not responsive to the users concern.
in my case I can say that I don't get any feedback from AK on my suggestions / request (playlist). if only I was asking for roon implementation, I would get response. may be roon implementation is more important than the elementary functions on DAPs like the improvement of playlist management.
but in all case, I appreciate that he is here on the forum, doing his best to help.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,459 of 5,840
The problem with returning back to previous fw versions is that every new release fixes bugs and optimizes the performance, so rolling back will mean re-introducing old problems and people complaining again about it :frowning2:

Twister6, I believe you’ve had and reviewed both the copper and SS versions of the SP2000. My question to you is have you noticed any sound changes between this latest FW upgrade and the previous one?

This may have been a leading question because you may not have either units in your possession now.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #2,460 of 5,840
The onyx sounding like SS more than cooper.
But with less bright.
2k SS used for long time 1.10 fw
2k onyx black new 1.16 fw
1581013222042.png
who terminated the Hemdall for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back