Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 6, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2,431 of 5,840
In my opinion, the firmware 1.19 is the right direction in terms of sound:ok_hand::thumbsup:
Could you give your opinion :) more detail

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #2,432 of 5,840
I feel like I maybe hear a difference between 1.18 and 1.19 on my onyx? (perhaps in the treble - cymbals seem more splashier maybe?)

But honestly I feel like it's too hard to say, without having two units side by side for an A/B comparison. It takes a couple of minutes for the firmware upgrade, during which time it's easy to forget subtle differences.

I always took these comments on sound difference with a pinch of salt. However I've joined the club 1.19 where did all this treble come from ? SS2K.

Message to AK careful !!

There are other Daps out there. You only command a premium based on quality of sound, build and innovation, looks like you are losing it.

From 120 all the way through to 2K I've had them all. Each time it has been a positive progression, until now.

There must be some way that AK could allow us to re-install previous firmware if we want 1.19 is crap.

Feb 7, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #2,434 of 5,840
Wow you have 2 2k. Thank you for reply. Is the bright involve fw update ? if they are in the same fw, they might be the same ?
It is the myth :) as the traditional of AK series
The new one lacking of dynamic explosion and micro-detail retrieval then I have to wait for giving more impression to you.

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #2,437 of 5,840
There are more air in sound now and the sound seems to be bigger (scale) compare to 1.18 version of firmware.
How about comparison with 1.10 and 1.16

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #2,438 of 5,840
How about comparison with 1.10 and 1.16
To meaningful compare (1.16 do 1.19) I have to have the two devices of SP2000SS (one on the 1.16 firmware and second on the 1.19 firmware).
I can relate only to 1.18 version of firmware.
The version of 1.10 I don't know, because when I bought SP2000SS I had the 1.13 version of firmware.

BTW, I think that Astell&Kern have to allow return to earlier versions of firmware. Especially in so expensive model as SP2000.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #2,439 of 5,840
To meaningful compare (1.16 do 1.19) I have to have the two devices of SP2000SS (one on the 1.16 firmware and second on the 1.19 firmware).
I can relate only to 1.18 version of firmware.
The version of 1.10 I don't know, because when I bought SP2000SS I had the 1.13 version of firmware.

BTW, I think that Astell&Kern have to allow return to earlier versions of firmware. Especially in so expensive model as SP2000.
Mine may be the first batch @@

Feb 7, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #2,440 of 5,840
I wonder what could possibly be causing this and if it is truly something within AK's control or a consequence of other changes. I'm inclined to believe what Jason says.
I can't imagine that they would be intentionally changing the sound, what is the incentive to do so on a new product?

Feb 7, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #2,443 of 5,840
I'm inclined to believe what Jason says.
And you think that all people who hear these changes are deceiving themselves?
I can't imagine that they would be intentionally changing the sound, what is the incentive to do so on a new product?
we are also at a loss, but this is so and it is sad! They do not want to answer us.

Feb 7, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #2,444 of 5,840
Just completed the upgrade to the latest firmware. I was skeptical about the comments indicating there was a sound change but I too noted a sound change.

For me the low end became more pronounced. I have the coper version with silver dragon cables to Layla’s. to get player back to my sweet spot. I had to adjust the cable base module down by about 10 minutes (if you think of the base dial as a clock face , I made an adjustment = to 10 minutes – that is a big adjustment). I do not have the EQ turned on

Could not see firmware changing sound but it could be a power or processer issue that is causing the sound impact. I would assume the power management / processer in the 2000 preferences the software that runs the unit over the DAC. This would make sense or you might have an unstable device otherwise. If the processor demand is exceeding the what the DAC needs the DAC will not behave well. Some users will get more highs others may get more lows. Could also be that the power supply can not keep up with the demand of the software and DAC. Unfortunately this is a hardware issue. The only comprise is to decrease the demand of the software which would be removing features.

I am not an electrical engineer. I do however own an engineering company and I have seen power vs processor vs outputs impacted in the devices we design.

Just my wild ass theory – probably not right, but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back