Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #2,103 of 5,840
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #2,106 of 5,840
What is the VERY VERY BEST IEM That you can recommend for the SP1000+SP Amp or for SP2000 ?

Indeed, I get fed-up carying and charging my Shure KSE in addition to my DAP.

I understood that now there are even some IEM with some electrostatic drivers inside, which do not need special amp.

IMHO, it's like asking what are the best speakers for a McIntosh receiver. Both the SP1000/amp and SP2000 are so good, and have so much power, you should be free to choose the IEM's that you prefer. They should drive any IEMs with gobs of clean power. If that makes sense?

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #2,110 of 5,840
What is the VERY VERY BEST IEM That you can recommend for the SP1000+SP Amp or for SP2000 ?

Indeed, I get fed-up carying and charging my Shure KSE in addition to my DAP.

I understood that now there are even some IEM with some electrostatic drivers inside, which do not need special amp.
I knew you had a KSE. Like you, I don't use mine as much as I should on account of the amp :frowning2:
The Shozy Pola and other e-stat super-tweeter models haven't impressed me so far.

Have you heard the Xelentos? They're the 2nd-best IEM after the KSE, IMHO. (They actually have much lower levels of THD than the KSE!) Just be very, very careful on account of the huge number of fairly (but not perfectly) high-quality fakes out there. A Google search will easily show you "Xelentos" for around $100. They're not real, but they're such good copies that you'd be duped if you'd never heard authentic Xelentos. There's a disappointingly-large number of fakes on the 2nd-hand market, some even showing up here on the for-sale forums. Be careful where you buy them from.

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2,111 of 5,840
Jan 10, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #2,112 of 5,840
.... Have you heard the Xelentos? They're the 2nd-best IEM after the KSE, IMHO. (They actually have much lower levels of THD than KSE)....

If the Xelentos is as good as the very best TOL IEMs ( costing + $ 3000), then at « only » $ 1000, the Xelentos is a « bargain » :)

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,113 of 5,840
I knew you had a KSE. Like you, I don't use mine as much as I should on account of the amp :frowning2:
The Shozy Pola and other e-stat super-tweeter models haven't impressed me so far.

Have you heard the Xelentos? They're the 2nd-best IEM after the KSE, IMHO. (They actually have much lower levels of THD than the KSE!) Just be very, very careful on account of the huge number of fairly (but not perfectly) high-quality fakes out there. A Google search will easily show you "Xelentos" for around $100. They're not real, but they're such good copies that you'd be duped if you'd never heard authentic Xelentos. There's a disappointingly-large number of fakes on the 2nd-hand market, some even showing up here on the for-sale forums. Be careful where you buy them from.
After the CL2, all I heard from my Xelentos was distortion. They have nice sub bass rumble but I would vehemently disagree they are the best of anything.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #2,114 of 5,840
If the Xelentos is as good as the very best TOL IEMs ( costing + $ 3000), then at « only » $ 1000, the Xelentos is a « bargain » :)
In my experience, price doesn't correlate well with anything other than the weight of your wallet. Just for poops and giggles, check out @crinacle's recent review of the King Arthur: https://crinacle.com/2020/01/03/cliffnotes-effect-audio-symphony-king-arthur-branching-out/

After the CL2, all I heard from my Xelentos was distortion.
Xelentos have the lowest levels of distortion I've ever measured in an IEM (including the CL2). But I'm always interested to learn if there are measurements elsewhere that show something different? Bear in mind, you only ever owned one (second-hand) pair of Xelentos. There are a lot of fake Xelentos out there, especially on the second-hand market, some of which sound ok-ish, and some are really bad.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #2,115 of 5,840
In my experience, price doesn't correlate well with anything other than the weight of your wallet. Just for poops and giggles, check out @crinacle's recent review of the King Arthur: https://crinacle.com/2020/01/03/cliffnotes-effect-audio-symphony-king-arthur-branching-out/

Xelentos have the lowest levels of distortion I've ever measured in an IEM (including the CL2). But I'm always interested to learn if there are measurements elsewhere that show something different? Bear in mind, you only ever owned one (second-hand) pair of Xelentos. There are a lot of fake Xelentos out there, especially on the second-hand market, some of which sound ok-ish, and some are really bad.

P.S. I know something of the story behind the King Arthur and why the company behind the build didn't want their name attached to it once they found out how much EA were going to charge. Daylight robbery is an apt description here, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back