Astell&Kern Launches USB-C Dual DAC Cable
Jan 15, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #182 of 198
Using UAPP Pro with my pee51 (in bit perfect where possible) and I am finding the volume quite low (75-80% volume for normal listening with my iems) but only need 20-25% when using Poweramp for the same volume with the same iems . What am I doing wrong in UAPP for such a difference in gain between the two apps? I feel like I have tried everything.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #183 of 198
Using UAPP Pro with my pee51 (in bit perfect where possible) and I am finding the volume quite low (75-80% volume for normal listening with my iems) but only need 20-25% when using Poweramp for the same volume with the same iems . What am I doing wrong in UAPP for such a difference in gain between the two apps? I feel like I have tried everything.

It's the same for me. I generally listen on my V30 + PEE51 with UAPP around 70-ish percent. Anything above 80-ish percent is extremely loud with sensitive IEMs. I tried messing with the settings, even volume steps, but nothing changes the volume slider.

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #184 of 198
Hmmm, I have contacted UAPP through their email and they said
"Ah, I understand what you mean. You'd like to see a different curve for
the volume control. That is planned. I'll see if I can expedite it."
I was trying to explain in detail to them and hopefully they understood. I just do not have enough adjustment in the volume control when I connect the pee51. OR, my volume has been limited by android or UAPP. Except why does it not limit the volume in Poweramp or Hiby music?

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #186 of 198
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #189 of 198
So I've had some time with the PEE51 now and everything sounds good, but does anyone feel like somehow everything sounds a bit rushed compare to other dongles?

Like I wonder if it doesn't hold the note as long as other dongles so it always feels like it cut short, so in turn it feels like the singer is singing faster when he/she isn't?

Am I crazy?

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #190 of 198
So I've had some time with the PEE51 now and everything sounds good, but does anyone feel like somehow everything sounds a bit rushed compare to other dongles?

Like I wonder if it doesn't hold the note as long as other dongles so it always feels like it cut short, so in turn it feels like the singer is singing faster when he/she isn't?

Am I crazy?
It's your mental health.

Just did extensive comparison with Lotoo S1 using UM 3DT, Sony IER-Z1R, 64 Audio Duo and Fir VxV. Played on a MacAir M1 using iTunes/BirPerfect. Ran through a suite of six songs (Noughties EDM, classic 70's rock, 80s Alternative, 90's dance and some Ella). No rushing on the PEE51 cf the Lotoo - in fact I find the PEE51 more 'relaxed'. I find the differences between the two more relative to the timbre than PRAT or voicing. The PEE51 I feel captures acoustic instruments better, the Lotoo electronic better (due to its more propulsive nature on DSP settings like 'Dental'.
I like the PEE51 for its sound and form factor to the extent I don't use the DAC function on any of my daps.

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #191 of 198
It's your mental health.

Just did extensive comparison with Lotoo S1 using UM 3DT, Sony IER-Z1R, 64 Audio Duo and Fir VxV. Played on a MacAir M1 using iTunes/BirPerfect. Ran through a suite of six songs (Noughties EDM, classic 70's rock, 80s Alternative, 90's dance and some Ella). No rushing on the PEE51 cf the Lotoo - in fact I find the PEE51 more 'relaxed'. I find the differences between the two more relative to the timbre than PRAT or voicing. The PEE51 I feel captures acoustic instruments better, the Lotoo electronic better (due to its more propulsive nature on DSP settings like 'Dental'.
I like the PEE51 for its sound and form factor to the extent I don't use the DAC function on any of my daps.
I think it might be the case of "when compare to....?". I haven't heard Lotoo S1 so I can't comment on that. But I've compared PEE51 to Dragonfly Red, RU6 and W2-131 that I have at hand right now.

All other 3 felt more relaxed compared to PEE51. In fact W2-131 is probably the most relaxed / smooth out of all of them. After that it's RU6.

Though I agree PEE51 as you said sounded really good with acoustic instruments, especially guitar notes.

Feb 27, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #192 of 198
I tried my pee51 with my oppo pm3 and discovered it could not drive them to a decent volume which surprised me as the pm3 are a portable relatively easily driven headphone. The PEE51 works brilliantly with my meze 99 classics and my hd25 alu as well as my etymotics.

Obviously not enough current for planars though.

Mar 7, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #193 of 198
I tried my pee51 with my oppo pm3 and discovered it could not drive them to a decent volume which surprised me as the pm3 are a portable relatively easily driven headphone. The PEE51 works brilliantly with my meze 99 classics and my hd25 alu as well as my etymotics.

Obviously not enough current for planars though.
Are you using it out of a phone or a computer? It goes freakishly loud for me on my computer but taps out on my android phone. I believe it can only do 2V on a phone but 4V output on the computer?

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #194 of 198
Are you using it out of a phone or a computer? It goes freakishly loud for me on my computer but taps out on my android phone. I believe it can only do 2V on a phone but 4V output on the computer?
Interesting i am using it out of a levono t430 (with win10 latest version) laptop, with musicbee, fidelizer free and eq courtesy of peace/epo for oppo so i must be doing something wrong - setup works well with meze99/hd25.

May 12, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #195 of 198
As mentioned in the announcement tonight for the new HC2 USB-C DAC Cable being released in June, a companion Android app will be released that supports both the HC2 and PEE51. The PEE51 will get a firmware update sometime in the next few weeks to add app support. No information is currently available on an iOS version of the app.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...-new-products-at-high-end-munich-2022.963348/

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back