Astell&Kern Launches USB-C Dual DAC Cable
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #154 of 198
I have to say this little thing really does sound excellent. The only A&K product I've owned before was the SR15, and I wasn't much of a fan. This makes me wonder about trying another A&K dap.

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #156 of 198
Good afternoon, I have a question about the dap, someone has the following problem: sometimes when I connect the pee51 dongle when I open the tidal or qobuz application I can only hear me from one side of the headset, I have to go to system-sound preferences -and I see the balance when connecting the dongle has moved to the left side.
Has someone else this happens.
Anyway, it is an excellent dongle, I am using it with some denon adh 9200 earmuffs with very good results

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #157 of 198
Quick question, has anyone compared the PEE51 to the Chord Mojo, love my Mojo, but it's a bit big and needs to be charged, etc, I hardly ever use it.

I've ordered a PEE51 as Im more likely to plug it into my Macbook more often to get good sound, but if there's not too much difference I might sell Mojo, yes ill do my own sound tests when I get it, but be good to know if anyone here has any thoughts. I use SE846's and Sennheiser Momentum 3s

thanks

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #158 of 198
Quick question, has anyone compared the PEE51 to the Chord Mojo, love my Mojo, but it's a bit big and needs to be charged, etc, I hardly ever use it.

I've ordered a PEE51 as Im more likely to plug it into my Macbook more often to get good sound, but if there's not too much difference I might sell Mojo, yes ill do my own sound tests when I get it, but be good to know if anyone here has any thoughts. I use SE846's and Sennheiser Momentum 3s

thanks
I actually just made the same switch and sold my Mojo and bought the PEE51. I only used Mojo for desktop use and needing two USB ports would be a bit of a problem sometimes.

Sheer resolution and articulation on Mojo is hard to beat, but it does have that thick lower mids/smooth presentation that I would both love but sometimes want a break from. I’m really liking the PEE51 so far. Great detail and a good full sound without feeling too harsh or bright. It also has a good sense of space and positioning of instruments. One downside is the independent volume control on Mojo is handier for fine tuning volume level. But overall it’s a good device and I got mine cheaper than I sold the Mojo for.

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #159 of 198
I actually just made the same switch and sold my Mojo and bought the PEE51. I only used Mojo for desktop use and needing two USB ports would be a bit of a problem sometimes.

Sheer resolution and articulation on Mojo is hard to beat, but it does have that thick lower mids/smooth presentation that I would both love but sometimes want a break from. I’m really liking the PEE51 so far. Great detail and a good full sound without feeling too harsh or bright. It also has a good sense of space and positioning of instruments. One downside is the independent volume control on Mojo is handier for fine tuning volume level. But overall it’s a good device and I got mine cheaper than I sold the Mojo for.
this is great info!

Look forward to getting it and trying it out, I listen to a lot of old music, so sometimes the extra detail can pick up flaws in the recording

Bit worried about it not being as smooth/low end. then again as long as it's better than built-in DAC, Ill be happy, and the Macbooks have quite a good DAC in! surprisingly good

I was doing some tests this morning with my Momentum 3s, they use their build-in DAC when on, or using USB-C cable, I was shocked when I turned them off to use in passive mode that the Macbook drove them better and had a lot more detail. no Sennheiser EQ being added I guess. for movies, they work perfectly.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #160 of 198
Hello guys,

I currently have Dragonfly Red and having a really hard time upgrading from it. Reason is that I realize I actually don't like neutral sound, Dragonfly Red is actually coloured sound but it fits my preference. Basically it has boosted bass and also boosted mids and female vocal.

I tried a bunch of dongle dacs and none of them have forward female vocal like this.

Dongle dac I've tried:

Dragonfly Red (Current, technically not as superior as other but I really like the tuning, forward female vocal)
Dragonfly Cobalt (more detailed, but sound a bit lean)
Zorloo Ztella (similar to to Cobalt, but has this slight veiled vocal that I did not like, very slight though)
EarStudio Radsone HUD100 (TOO neutral, found it really boring)
Hidizs Sonata HD II (really liked it before I got Dragonfly Red, but now looking back it's lacking mids, but sub bass reach low, and very airy)
xDuoo Link (lacking bass)
Pixel 3 Dongle (they went batter saving at the cost of sound, worse than Pixel 2 Dongle)
Pixel 2 Dongle (sounded pretty good for what it is, used it for a while before I got Hidizs Sonata HD II)
Apple Dongle (sounds really good for the price but not as magical as people make it out to be, has volume issue on Android but no problem on PC)

So I've been thinking to try Astell and Kern dongle dac partially due to curiosity partially because I'm bored LOL.

But does this one have forward female vocal? Or am I setting up for disappointment?

Pretty sure this will perform better technically just wondering about tuning preference.

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #161 of 198
Hello guys,

I currently have Dragonfly Red and having a really hard time upgrading from it. Reason is that I realize I actually don't like neutral sound, Dragonfly Red is actually coloured sound but it fits my preference. Basically it has boosted bass and also boosted mids and female vocal.

I tried a bunch of dongle dacs and none of them have forward female vocal like this.

Dongle dac I've tried:

Dragonfly Red (Current, technically not as superior as other but I really like the tuning, forward female vocal)
Zorloo Ztella (similar to to Cobalt, but has this slight veiled vocal that I did not like, very slight though)
Hidizs Sonata HD II (really liked it before I got Dragonfly Red, but now looking back it's lacking mids, but sub bass reach low, and very airy)
Pixel 3 Dongle (they went batter saving at the cost of sound, worse than Pixel 2 Dongle)
Pixel 2 Dongle (sounded pretty good for what it is, used it for a while before I got Hidizs Sonata HD II)
Apple Dongle (sounds really good for the price but not as magical as people make it out to be, has volume issue on Android but no problem on PC)

So I've been thinking to try Astell and Kern dongle dac partially due to curiosity partially because I'm bored LOL.

But does this one have forward female vocal? Or am I setting up for disappointment?

Pretty sure this will perform better technically just wondering about tuning preference.

Thanks!
The inevitable question. What are your items or headphones?

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #162 of 198
The inevitable question. What are your items or headphones?
LOL sorry I guess I should've address it first. I started from D2000 now using D5200, currently have a pending sale of D9200 from a fellow head-fi member.

I'll mainly use it on my desktop PC. Though I've previously tried other desktop units (Schiit Multibit, Vali 2+, Asgard 3, Project Polaris.....etc), but I find Denon are fairly easy to drive so there wasn't that huge of a difference and it mostly comes down to tonal preference.

Also I mostly enjoy having volume up/down mapped to keyboard shortcut (as oppose to physical knob) sort of why I'm going back to dongle dac route again (LOL weird reason I know).

My music genre has a lot of acoustic songs with female singer. Hence why I'm looking for one that has forward female vocal.

LOL sorry I think I have very specific preference.

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #163 of 198
As we wait for the Colibri you might also want to look into the Lotoo S1 and L&P W2, among others.

Hello guys,

Dongle dac I've tried:

Thanks!

I think the PEE51 would suit you.
Best one of three in my opinion.
It just works and sounds lovely.

Attachments

• 991EE7AC-384B-40B4-8EF0-151DCFD26150.jpeg
    991EE7AC-384B-40B4-8EF0-151DCFD26150.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back