Astell&Kern Launches USB-C Dual DAC Cable
Jun 24, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #121 of 198
I wonder how this compares to the THX Onyx
Here's mine. (Some electrical tape over the CAMERA kit cable / usbc join)
322A8F56-6215-4E98-8434-7E18C9EF9B4A.jpeg

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #122 of 198
Got one today from my local drug dealer (Charles at Headphoneshop in Toronto). Not going to get into sound impressions, but this really solved an issue I had with my Andromeda S...which was hissing like crazy out of most things. XB10 hissed like crazy. The Schiit Fulla 4 not only hissed, but had severe channel imbalance within the useable range. The Jotunheim didn't have much hiss, but didn't pair so good with these. My trusty ol' AK320 was great but had audio lag connected via micro-USB with almost every source. So this fits the bill as a DAC/AMP for my iPad Pro 11" and my RB15. It's dead quiet and sounds great. Also looks and feels great too. Since we are opening up and working in an office is a thing again, this is going to be my portable DAC/AMP.

Going to try to get the DD Hifi adapter for my XR as well. Is it even possible that the lightning protocol is different from phone to phone?

Confirmed. The DD Hifi green adapter works with this on iPhone XR.

I've tried the DD Hifi Adapter with the AK Dongle on 4 other iPhones and so far they're working flawlessly.

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #123 of 198
The DD Hifi adapter works but I think power is quite low. Volume has to go up quite high compared to plugging direct from a usb c jack.

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #124 of 198
The DD Hifi adapter works but I think power is quite low. Volume has to go up quite high compared to plugging direct from a usb c jack.
Will have to play around with it. I noticed that when plugged into my desktop PC, the AK USBC DAC volume has to be set to 3-4 (?!) or else blow my ears out over the Andromeda S. This wasn't the case on the iPad Pro.

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #125 of 198
Will have to play around with it. I noticed that when plugged into my desktop PC, the AK USBC DAC volume has to be set to 3-4 (?!) or else blow my ears out over the Andromeda S. This wasn't the case on the iPad Pro.
Yes, for Andromeda it might be too loud.

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #126 of 198
I believe i have finally narrowed down my research to AK PEE51 and THX Onyx, so a comparison between them will help me decide which one to purchase...I am really tired looking for the right one :) Made an instinct decision once with the iBasso DC03 which broke down after a month (buzz in the right can, tested with more than one pair of headphones and on many devices).
If your ibasso dc03 didn't broke, would you say you like the sound quality of this one? Or are you still not satisfied?

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #127 of 198
I just ordered the PEE51 based on @OspreyAndy recommendation. I don’t think I’ll ever pony up for an A&K player (many of which I’ve read about and lusted over the years). I’m hoping that this dongle will be my mainstay for either of my laptops and I’m crossing my fingers that this will work with my iPad Pro (3rd Gen - USB C). But if it doesn’t and it ends up sounding fantastic with my laptops then I’ll probably keep it. I only have one iem with a balanced cable and the rest are standard.

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #128 of 198
I just ordered the PEE51 based on @OspreyAndy recommendation. I don’t think I’ll ever pony up for an A&K player (many of which I’ve read about and lusted over the years). I’m hoping that this dongle will be my mainstay for either of my laptops and I’m crossing my fingers that this will work with my iPad Pro (3rd Gen - USB C). But if it doesn’t and it ends up sounding fantastic with my laptops then I’ll probably keep it. I only have one iem with a balanced cable and the rest are standard.
So the 51 arrived. I'm kinda floored by the sound honestly. Just in awe, really. I plugged in my modded KZ DQ6 since they were the nearest IEM to me when I unboxed it and I just don't want to take these out of my ears or turn off the music right now.

One small thing: I knew that it didn't have hardware volume adjustment going in but I do miss that based on the other usb dac/amps I own.

I also just wanted to say it works with my iPad Pro Gen 3 model, either plugged in directly to the USB C or via a hub that I have.

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #131 of 198
I have only tested it against a Luxury Precision W2 dongle. After an hour evaluating them (by rapid a/b swapping) I prefered the sound of the Onyx.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #132 of 198
I am interested in the A&K dongle to see if I like their sound signature for potentially purchasing a DAP. That is its real purpose.

I am in a similar situation.

Although I am a detailhead, I've also found that many (though not all) ESS implementations are brighter and more aggressive than I would typically prefer. Consequently, I've tended to prefer AKM-based designs, which tend to hit a sweet spot between detail and refinement for me. And because of that, I've enjoyed A&K daps over the years.

However, due to the fire, and the fact that tooling/re-tooling up semi-fab is difficult, under the best of circumstances, I've begun to prepare for the possibility that we may not be seeing anything from AKM for quite some time... if ever again.

So, one of my goals in checking out the PEE51 is to see what A&K have been able to accomplish with Cirrus/Wolfson parts, and whether those designs can approximate the A&K house sound that I've grown accustomed to. If it seems like they can, then I can wait comfortably for their next flagship. If not, I may have to bite a bullet and get an SP2000 now before it's discontinued.

hi any comparison between this and Questyle M12?

I haven't compared them yet, but I just happen to have both the PEE51 and M12 here for evaluation at the moment. Is there a particular track you'd like me to A/B with? :relaxed: I subscribe to TIDAL, Qobuz, and Apple Music, so something that can be found on one those services would be easiest.

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #133 of 198
I think I am done with DAPs
1) They are too heavy.
2) The sonic gain from streaming Qobuz with a DAC dongle vs a DAP is minimal
3) My iPhone “interface” is a) familiar b) large screened c) the latest OS (not some far behind Android) d) always with me as an “all in one” solution.
4) I have no hi res file library/ collection

Jul 25, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #134 of 198
Jul 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #135 of 198
I think I am done with DAPs
1) They are too heavy.
2) The sonic gain from streaming Qobuz with a DAC dongle vs a DAP is minimal
3) My iPhone “interface” is a) familiar b) large screened c) the latest OS (not some far behind Android) d) always with me as an “all in one” solution.
4) I have no hi res file library/ collection
Everything should be compatible with the rest of your equipment and your aspirations
So i guess you are right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back