Astell&Kern Launches USB-C Dual DAC Cable
May 25, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #92 of 198
If anyone in the USA is looking for one, I am about to post my sealed unit to the classifieds. I just don't need it at this time. I didn't realize it was going to be an extended delivery when ordered.

May 25, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #93 of 198
My A&K USB C DAC arrived yesterday. If it helps anyone decide, the device does work with my iPad Pro - I think because the Pro's port is USB C, not Lightning.

I tried it with my iPhone and a DD TC28i, but it didn’t work. Acted like nothing was plugged in. Trying it with the Apple Camera Kit dongle gave a message to the effect of “this device uses too much power”. But I got this to use with my iPad, so for me it’s all good.

The device itself is physically awesome. Feels really good in the hand - some kind of cool treatment of the metal. Also pleasantly heavy in a high-quality way - but not burdensome. Definitely a Trojan horse for A&K - it makes the few other dongle DACs I have - from Shanling and Hidizs - seem like something you’d get for your kid to use. Sounds good to me but frankly my ears aren’t that great. I can hear very small differences between IEMs, but not between DACs or amps.

May 27, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #94 of 198
Quick question, if I put high res albums I own from hd tracks on my note 20 ultra, can I use this thing to play them? The device was delivered today so I guess I'll find out tonight, probably should have asked before I brought it but I got it from Amazon just in case I want to return it.

May 27, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #96 of 198
Quick question, if I put high res albums I own from hd tracks on my note 20 ultra, can I use this thing to play them? The device was delivered today so I guess I'll find out tonight, probably should have asked before I brought it but I got it from Amazon just in case I want to return it.
You'll need to use uapp or hiby to bypass android's music limitations and get the best out of the dac.

May 27, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #97 of 198
I few more thoughts on the A&K dongle DAC ... they have multiple warnings about checking for high volume. The first time I connected it to my MacBook Air, it did indeed automatically set the volume level to max. I reduced the level to something more reasonable for my listening, and the next time I connected the dongle to that Mac it remembered the reduced volume setting.

The dongle worked fine on my HiBy R3 Pro, after I set its USB mode to "Dock". The volume did not get set to max, but the music did seem louder at a given volume setting than it was through the built-in 3.5mm jack. Your mileage may vary, as they say, so I recommend you check the volume setting before listening, to protect your ears and your IEMs too.

The dongle also worked fine for me as a Roon endpoint, connected to a Raspberry Pi running ropieee. Roon recognizes the device, and shows a little drawing of the dongle in the UI. Seems like a shame to have such a beautiful piece of hardware tucked behind a speaker out of sight, though!

May 28, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #98 of 198
With this A&K dongle, which was well advertised in Japanese media, we are now only waiting for Sony to put out a S-Master dongle. Shanling have their UA1/2, other companies are putting out similar ESS or CS chip devices. It is really powerful to state that these dongles carry the 'house sound signature' - the fact that CS43198 is used rather than the overused CS43131, and uses a separate amplifier is a strong sellling point so existing users of CS43131 devices still have an incentive to buy more dongles. When IBasso released DC03, they stated that hundreds of tweaks of the sound signature were made. But CS43131 doesn't really leave a lot of wriggle room.

I heavily support the Apple dongle, Meizu Hifi, and Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, being the three cheapest and most satisfying devices ever created and a part of the first generation of dongles I enjoyed testing during lockdown last year. The fact that Meizu Hifi was discontinued without replacement is saddening, but I also anticipate changes (unlikely) to the Apple dongle for higher format support etc. If you could only choose one dongle DAC, it would be Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, except it isn't exactly portable, being more suitable for desktop use. That was why Meizu Hifi had great appeal. It is clear however that designs are growing more sophisticated, and the bare minimum is not enough. LED lights, better volume controls, tougher cables and so on are emerging but hopefully, there will always be a budget segment carrying on the tradition set down by Meizu Hifi, and Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.

Jun 2, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #101 of 198
It will work with the iPad Pro with USB-C without issue. According to the AK engineering team, the problem is the lightning connector does not provide enough power to drive the dual-DACs correctly. So it is not an iOS issue as it is a connector issue.

I know the L&P W2 does do lightning. I am not sure what the difference is and how they can do it with a dual-DAC. I asked the engineering team.
Hi how is it working with ipad pro?
mine doesnt even turn on the light
Thanks

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #102 of 198
Initial thoughts on A&K's usb dac are positive. It's certainly competitive in its price range - a more pleasing, warmer, darker and fuller sound that the dry analytic precision of the Zorloo Ztella (though the form factor of the ZZ is hard to beat). The A&K has a similar signature to the Luxury and Precision W2, which uses the same paired CS43198 chips. The A&K doesn't have the polish and finesse of the W2, or the tweakability, but then the W2 is twice the price! Only downside of the A&K (and same for W2) is it's not light on battery. The ZZ, for example, is around a 20-25% more efficient with my set up (S20 to W60s). I guess this explains why iPhones won't support it. Still, very happy with the A&K at that price.

Jun 2, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #103 of 198
Hi how is it working with ipad pro?
mine doesnt even turn on the light
Thanks
I assume you have an 11” iPad Pro or a recent 12” one, with the USB-C port. I’ve got the 11. I plug the A&K DAC in, it’s LED lights up. In the Control Center, the volume slider changes to indicate headphones are connected. (It actually shows that even if no headphones are plugged in to the DAC!) playing music from any app - Roon, Qobuz, HiBy Music, YouTube, Netflix … - comes through the headphones. That’s it.

Attachments

• 738E5313-9039-48D4-866D-57625FC59AD2.jpeg
    738E5313-9039-48D4-866D-57625FC59AD2.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 2, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #105 of 198
I assume you have an 11” iPad Pro or a recent 12” one, with the USB-C port. I’ve got the 11. I plug the A&K DAC in, it’s LED lights up. In the Control Center, the volume slider changes to indicate headphones are connected. (It actually shows that even if no headphones are plugged in to the DAC!) playing music from any app - Roon, Qobuz, HiBy Music, YouTube, Netflix … - comes through the headphones. That’s it.
It didnt work. Its not even showing the headphone control .
I tried tidal, qobuz, roon and a regular hd file.
So strange! And i bought it mainly for the ipad.
its a 12 pro.
58F8E261-CEDD-4659-A7A6-A199658FE99E.jpeg
E1BE4129-A4FC-4E56-AD2F-BAD6A627DBA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 8467ED02-E45E-410A-8841-0574CC77197F.jpeg
    8467ED02-E45E-410A-8841-0574CC77197F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0B834033-5217-49C8-97E4-99B7C56E368F.jpeg
    0B834033-5217-49C8-97E4-99B7C56E368F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back