Astell&Kern Launches USB-C Dual DAC Cable
Mar 25, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #61 of 198
You should try the Lotoo PAW S1. To my ear, it is significantly better than my BTR5. So much so that I rarely use the BTR5 anymore. I ordered a L&P W2 and my understanding is that it might be better than the S1. I'll know next weekend.
A comparison between L&P W2 and S1 would be nice, thanks in advance.

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #62 of 198
How does the sound compare to lg v series?

It won't be a popular opinion, but It seems like right now LG V series phones are a bit overrated in the audiophile community :) If you have it and are happy with it, that's good. But if you are thinking about buying a smartphone from V series before better models due to higher sound quality, it is not a good idea.

Overall AK PEE51 provides better sound quality that any V series model I tested. Better resolution and dynamic, clearer background, more impactful lows, more natural sound with better definition of mids and highs.

A comparison between L&P W2 and S1 would be nice, thanks in advance.

I don't have W2 so it will be hard to compare them for now. Maybe in the future in one of their threads.

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #66 of 198
It won't be a popular opinion, but It seems like right now LG V series phones are a bit overrated in the audiophile community :) If you have it and are happy with it, that's good. But if you are thinking about buying a smartphone from V series before better models due to higher sound quality, it is not a good idea.

Overall AK PEE51 provides better sound quality that any V series model I tested. Better resolution and dynamic, clearer background, more impactful lows, more natural sound with better definition of mids and highs.

I don't have W2 so it will be hard to compare them for now. Maybe in the future in one of their threads.
What phone has better audio than lg v series?

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #67 of 198
I believe i have finally narrowed down my research to AK PEE51 and THX Onyx, so a comparison between them will help me decide which one to purchase...I am really tired looking for the right one :) Made an instinct decision once with the iBasso DC03 which broke down after a month (buzz in the right can, tested with more than one pair of headphones and on many devices).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #69 of 198
I believe i have finally narrowed down my research to AK PEE51 and THX Onyx, so a comparison between them will help me decide which one to purchase...I am really tired looking for the right one :) Made an instinct decision once with the iBasso DC03 which broke down after a month (buzz in the right can, tested with more than one pair of headphones and on many devices).
how about lotto s1?

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #71 of 198
I decided to go with the Onyx instead and just got this bad boy. The delivery was amazingly fast, just 3 days with DHL and it has been shipped from Hong Kong to London-UK. Will test it later today with my V-Moda and see if I took the right decision.

THX Onyx.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #72 of 198
I decided to go with the Onyx instead and just got this bad boy. The delivery was amazingly fast, just 3 days with DHL and it has been shipped from Hong Kong to London-UK. Will test it later today with my V-Moda and see if I took the right decision.

THX Onyx.jpeg
Listened to it only for a few hours but it sounds AMAZING with both my laptop and the Samsung phone. Some EQ need it to enhance the low frequencies but still very clear and satisfying. For whoever is interested to buy it in UK and is a student ( I am not, but I got friends :)) Razer is offering 15% discount on Studenbeans.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #73 of 198
Listened to it only for a few hours but it sounds AMAZING with both my laptop and the Samsung phone. Some EQ need it to enhance the low frequencies but still very clear and satisfying. For whoever is interested to buy it in UK and is a student ( I am not, but I got friends :)) Razer is offering 15% discount on Studenbeans.
Nice. Any comparisons with the competition?

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #74 of 198
A&K probably shouldn’t bother trying to make stuff in this price range—wait, forget “probably.” I just noticed that there’s no 2.5mm jack on this thing. A&K should never release a product without their own jack format represented. They would have been better off going higher in price, and having both.

Unlike with a DAP, there’s no room for A&K to really show off their traditional elegance in design and materials. So unlike the DAP market, where they have a competitive-sounding product in a compellingly-designed box, they’re left competing purely on performance in the inline DAC market, which is a tough spot, considering how good some of the Chinese companies have gotten at mass producing ultra-quiet, ultra-cheap devices using ESS chips. Maybe I’m wrong; maybe people will luuuv the faceted shape of this dongle enough to justify a big price tag, just the way they do with A&K’s DAPs. But I doubt it.
At least I won't say L&P W2 (2 CS43198) is cheap. Even W1 (1 CS43198) is tagged $50 more. But I can't understand the idea of using 2 CS43198 for less powerful and single ended output. Bubut since it's not widely available, at least not in US, I don't see many reviews. I'd not judge the sound quality based on printed parameters.

May 3, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #75 of 198

Users who are viewing this thread

Back