Astell&Kern launches two new player lines at the High End Show 2018 in Munich, Germany
Jun 12, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #121 of 143
Listened to the Astell&Kern SR15 and SE100 at the AK store in Taipei, initial impressions are pretty positive.

SaIEFYMm.jpg

First I listened to Sony’s XBA-A3 via unbalanced ports. The SR15 and SE100 shares the same characteristics: both are flat in tonality, have a very vivid imaging and have sharp transients. The SE100 might be a bit more natural sounding but from the XBA-A3, I couldn’t say there’s much of a difference. I also compared both to my iPhone+Mojo, while Mojo has a warmer & sweeter sound, I felt that the resolution is higher in both SR15 and SE100.

[Side note: I found out awhile ago that Mojo’s capability are largely being limited when being used as a portable DAC/AMP paired with smartphones. Mojo sounds dramatically worse when connected directly to the iPhone X, compared to connecting with a Mac or PC through Schiit Eitr.]

Next up I tried HD650 with their balanced ports. I tested HD650 balanced before with a lot of different DAPs: including Fiio X5iii, AK KANN, and Sony WM1A/Z balanced. None of them drive HD650 well enough. Sony’s WM1A/Z isn’t powerful enough to drive HD650 to play classical music, not even in balanced high gain mode. The X5iii and KANN while having enough power, sounds grainy and a bit distorted in high gain mode.

To my surprise, SR15 balanced out to HD650 sounds quite listenable. It’s powerful enough for quiet passages in classical music (never needed to exceed volume 140 out of 150) The sound is clean and distortion-free, nothing is missing from low to high. I feel that SR15 has more detail than iPhone+Mojo, but still lacks the easiness of Mojo.

G0s5Kjam.jpg

Then I switched to SE100 balanced out and found out that this is where SE100 really shines. The SE100 drives the HD650 effortlessly. I admit I was hoping for it but never really thought it would work with HD650s. The sound became full and detailed, depth is more pronounced and there’s more liveliness in the music. This might be the first DAP I tried which actually brought out good macro-dynamics from my HD650.

Near the end of my long listening session (About 1.5 hrs), switching back and forth between SE100 and SR15, the difference between the two became evident: SR15 had become a little fatiguing over the long listening session, but with the SE100, I’d still want to run through playlists and wanted to discover more about its character. I think the great clarity and enjoyable musicality in SE100 is almost on par with Eitr+Mojo, which is my current Office rig. They both work well with long listening sessions through HD650.

The only downside I find about SE100 is that the edges of its body is sharp, making it uncomfortable to grip. The SR15 is much better in this regard. And of course the price tag... I'd have to listen to it more to see if it justifies the cost, but unlike their previous offerings, which often attracted me first by their appearance yet soon made me disappointed by their lack-luster sound (Maybe excluding SP1000, for me it's too expensive to put into consideration), this one really does sound as good as it looks.

pXxFNsAm.jpg

Another thing is, the SE100 sample here doesn't seem to have SPDIF output, the option is not shown in the menu (SP1000 has a SPDIF option in the menu)
I'm seeing contradicting specs everywhere either with optical or without it, maybe this one's different from their final-production units.

but how can that be as the kann balanced is almost twice more powerful

Then you mention its sound is flat for SE100 how then can it make hd650 full sounding, I am bit confused

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #122 of 143
but how can that be as the kann balanced is almost twice more powerful

Then you mention its sound is flat for SE100 how then can it make hd650 full sounding, I am bit confused

It's true that KANN balanced is more powerful than SE100 balanced, meaning KANN could make HD650 sound louder than SE100 when both pushed to max volume.
In my usage, when listening to quiet passages of classical music, I won't need to turn up the volume more than 140 on SE100 so it's powerful enough for me.

The sound however is very different between SE100 and KANN when driving the HD650, there's a sense of unpleasant strain in KANN when driving HD650 in higher volume and listening fatigue kicks in quickly, forcing me to lower the volume, where the sound of SE100 stays smooth and enjoyable
all the way up to 140. To my ears, SE100 sounds fuller and larger than KANN at the same listening loudness. (Not the same volume setting, but the same perceivable loudness from headphones)

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #123 of 143
It's true that KANN balanced is more powerful than SE100 balanced, meaning KANN could make HD650 sound louder than SE100 when both pushed to max volume.
In my usage, when listening to quiet passages of classical music, I won't need to turn up the volume more than 140 on SE100 so it's powerful enough for me.

The sound however is very different between SE100 and KANN when driving the HD650, there's a sense of unpleasant strain in KANN when driving HD650 in higher volume and listening fatigue kicks in quickly, forcing me to lower the volume, where the sound of SE100 stays smooth and enjoyable
all the way up to 140. To my ears, SE100 sounds fuller and larger than KANN at the same listening loudness. (Not the same volume setting, but the same perceivable loudness from headphones)

wow that is a huge say, as I understand that getting things sounding loud does not mean u nailed it, as that is always my concern, as to me with all daps I have or had I always felt non can drive full size headphones, yes they can get them to sound loud but not optimal

i wonder if you can confirm that se100 does not sound clinical due to sabre dac

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #124 of 143
wow that is a huge say, as I understand that getting things sounding loud does not mean u nailed it, as that is always my concern, as to me with all daps I have or had I always felt non can drive full size headphones, yes they can get them to sound loud but not optimal

i wonder if you can confirm that se100 does not sound clinical due to sabre dac

I still think portable devices are not able to drive full size cans to their fullest. I'm using Gumby gen5 and Jotunheim at home and I would call the sound of HD650 from those optimal. However, for portable use or maybe using in the office, I find the sound of HD650 from the Mojo to be enjoyable enough for long listening sessions. A lot of DAPs I tried with HD650 are either underpowered or just not enjoyable (leads to listening fatigue easily). I'd say the SE100+HD650 is comparable to the exprience I had with Eitr+Mojo+HD650, it sounds right and makes you want to listen to more music.

I'm afraid I can't confirm whether it's too clinical or not, I only tried SE100 with hybrid IEMs (XBA-A3) and HD650 and these phones are tonally warmer than most headphones in the first place. I can only say that compared to the iPhone+Mojo, the SE100 is more detailed and vivid, the low and high extends further, but I haven't noticed any digital glare.

Beware though, I've seen polarizing reviews on Japanese & Chinese forums about SE100's sound signature, so I guess it depends heavily on which headphones you match it with.

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #125 of 143
I still think portable devices are not able to drive full size cans to their fullest. I'm using Gumby gen5 and Jotunheim at home and I would call the sound of HD650 from those optimal. However, for portable use or maybe using in the office, I find the sound of HD650 from the Mojo to be enjoyable enough for long listening sessions. A lot of DAPs I tried with HD650 are either underpowered or just not enjoyable (leads to listening fatigue easily). I'd say the SE100+HD650 is comparable to the exprience I had with Eitr+Mojo+HD650, it sounds right and makes you want to listen to more music.

I'm afraid I can't confirm whether it's too clinical or not, I only tried SE100 with hybrid IEMs (XBA-A3) and HD650 and these phones are tonally warmer than most headphones in the first place. I can only say that compared to the iPhone+Mojo, the SE100 is more detailed and vivid, the low and high extends further, but I haven't noticed any digital glare.

Beware though, I've seen polarizing reviews on Japanese & Chinese forums about SE100's sound signature, so I guess it depends heavily on which headphones you match it with.

i have cowon plenue s and had ak380 with amp and kaan, and i would never dare say any can drive any full size headphone planar or hd650 optimally

so your saying is making me very intrigued

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #129 of 143
i will get mine after 5 days, i hope it sounds as good as my cowon plenue s,, i bought the se100 cause it has tidal and its specs look interesting , so i hope that it will be sounding as great as my plenue s

all my previous Ak daps, ak380, Kann, ak100ii non sounded better than cowon plenue s

But I have high hopes for se100 so lets wait and see

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #130 of 143
i will get mine after 5 days, i hope it sounds as good as my cowon plenue s,, i bought the se100 cause it has tidal and its specs look interesting , so i hope that it will be sounding as great as my plenue s

all my previous Ak daps, ak380, Kann, ak100ii non sounded better than cowon plenue s

But I have high hopes for se100 so lets wait and see
To be honest I have been waiting for the AK since it was announced but got fed up. I was waiting because I liked ( not loved) my AK70. Then they announced the Cowon Plenue mk2 with 256gb internal memory and I bought that. No Tidal etc, as you know just a pure music player. Should have been £1250 but got it with 15% off, so I thought it might be a bit of a bargain and I do love it!!
I really dont miss the really, really crappy AK file transfer, that used to drive me to distraction. Also I now have a brilliant equaliser that I can actually use! Having said that I hope the new AK satisfies you...regards.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #131 of 143
To be honest I have been waiting for the AK since it was announced but got fed up. I was waiting because I liked ( not loved) my AK70. Then they announced the Cowon Plenue mk2 with 256gb internal memory and I bought that. No Tidal etc, as you know just a pure music player. Should have been £1250 but got it with 15% off, so I thought it might be a bit of a bargain and I do love it!!
I really dont miss the really, really crappy AK file transfer, that used to drive me to distraction. Also I now have a brilliant equaliser that I can actually use! Having said that I hope the new AK satisfies you...regards.

no doubt cowon players are amazing, if cowon adds tidal in their next flagship I will be simply fantastic

At the same time I love AK daps and I have high hopes for SE100

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #132 of 143
no doubt cowon players are amazing, if cowon adds tidal in their next flagship I will all be in as cowon plenue s is simply fantastic

At the same time I love AK dapps and I have high hopes for SE100
I look forward to your impressions with interest.
Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back