Astell&Kern Launches Three New Products to Start 2023
Feb 10, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #76 of 199
So, it's finally here!

The bad news: I no longer have the ADI 2/4 Pro SE to compare, unfortunately. The expectations were quite high, but I did not expect such a big sound improvement. However, I have the impression that a sound improvement is actually very noticeable. I didn't really remember the HD800S being so holographic and airy on the ADI. On the contrary, I have always criticized these two points in particular. But now I somehow don't feel that anymore. The resolution is also much better in my opinion. I noticed details that I had somehow never noticed before. I really don't want to go into details, but I would say that so far I'm pretty impressed and satisfied. The difference between AMP-OP and AMP-Tube is also very clear and I like with the HD800S AMP-Tube. I will keep testing and try to get an ADI and compare with it.

For hardcore gamers: the latency/delay is excellent, actually non-existent for me.

I am open for questions.

Very nice! I'm glad you finally got yours, there are vendors in Europe that have it in stock at the moment but they are not allowed to ship to the US region at this time.

I'm glad you can hear the difference in the SQ right away.

Are you able to somehow find out if it has USB 1.0 support?

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #77 of 199
Very nice! I'm glad you finally got yours, there are vendors in Europe that have it in stock at the moment but they are not allowed to ship to the US region at this time.

I'm glad you can hear the difference in the SQ right away.

Are you able to somehow find out if it has USB 1.0 support?
Oh yes, I had forgotten about that. I'll connect it to the PS5 right away and let you know if it works. EDIT: What a pity, the CA1000T is not recognized by the PS5.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #78 of 199
Oh yes, I had forgotten about that. I'll connect it to the PS5 right away and let you know if it works. EDIT: What a shame, the CA1000T is not recognized by the PS5.

As I expected. No problem though, I will use my NEW FiiO K3 DAC/AMP as a 1.0 passthrough with the CA1000T when I get it.
There might be some distortion this way but it's whatever.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #79 of 199
@JasonNYC

Moon Audio which is a US A&K vendor is showing the CA1000T with an updated release date of Feb 17.

Did you by any chance get any word if the release date has officially been updated?
Expected ship date to North American dealers from our US warehouse is February 17th. On sale date is still February 27th.

Also, did you happen to get a reply back from the development team on whether the new CA1000T has USB Audio Class 1 (UAC1) support?
I did not. I was told by two people that they were pretty sure it did not have UAC1 support, but I haven't received confirmation yet.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #81 of 199
@JasonNYC

Sorry, but I find it pretty weak from AK that no power supply is included with the CA1000T after paying so much money. Not even Apple dares to do something like that with the iPad!

Now, it is recommended in the manual not to charge the device via the PC. I have here only the USB power adapters from the iPhone and iPad. But these unfortunately do not meet the raccomanded specifications. The iPhone power supply is 5W 5V 1A and the iPad power supply is 20W 9V 2.22A (or 5V 3A??). Recommended in the manual is 9V 3A or apparently 5V 2A. My question is: Can I still use the power supply from the iPhone or iPad? Would that be safe? Any tips on what power supply 9A 3V (or 5A 2V?) I could buy on Amazon? What about that power supply with multi voltage as in the attached file?

Can anyone else help me with this question?

EDIT:
Now it gets even better: The manual says not to use any other cable than the one supplied. My question: Why? I didn't even know there were differences between the cables. Next question to A&K: Why the hell is there neither the option to buy a replacement cable (e.g. 1x for the PC and 1x for charging) nor a specific power supply? I'm going insane right now because I don't know what to do. It annoys me that I should deal with such questions.

I expected much more professionalism, consistency and transparency from A&K. This is really a weak performance for such a premium company and a premium product!

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 07.26.38.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 07.26.38.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 07.26.32.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 07.26.32.png
    207.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 07.28.47.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 07.28.47.png
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • 712dL+pI7OL.jpg
    712dL+pI7OL.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-02-11 161950.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-11 161950.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #83 of 199
I hope I’m not steering you wrong, but I’ve been charging my SP3000 with a 2 amp wall charger -> USB-A -> USB-C. I’ve also used a PD 3.0 USB-C -> USB-C with no issues whatsoever
2 amp is ok, don't worry since you can use according the manual of the SP3000 9V 1,67A or 5V 2A. The voltage is important but not the ampere: the device takes the power it needs, even if the power supply should be stronger.

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #84 of 199

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-12 um 08.44.47.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-12 um 08.44.47.png
    517.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #85 of 199
Some updates:

First of all, THANK YOU A&K for the unprofessionalism regarding the ambiguity about the power adapter and cable and the lack of response to my (urgent) questions!

I took matters into my own hands and purchased the Belkin 108W GaN USB, Belkin 30W as well as Belkin BoostCharge Pro Flex. Both power adapters are compatible with 9V 3A, among other things, and this matches the specs from the CA1000T. The cable also has some special certifications. I bought a cable for charging and a cable for connection to the PC. So far nothing has burned, so I hope it continues to do so.

I also had the opportunity today to compare the CA1000T with an ADI-2 DAC, which in turn has the same sound quality as the brand new ADI 2/4 Pro SE. What can I say, the improvement with the CA1000T was just generally noticeable, it struck me immediately. By the way, I didn't immediately notice such a clear positive difference when I compared, say, the HUGO 2 or Hugo TT2 with the ADI. So I was right when I said in an earlier post that I didn't remember the HD800S sounding that good. CA1000T matchs for me quite well also to the Trifecta (better than the SP3000), because the sound is uncolored.

All in all, I am extremely satisfied with the CA1000T.

FYI, sometimes it hangs when I turn it on, so I have to hold the power button down for 7 seconds. This happens occasionally and I'm sure it's a bug that can be fixed with a firmware update.

Feb 14, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #86 of 199
Some updates:

First of all, THANK YOU A&K for the unprofessionalism regarding the ambiguity about the power adapter and cable and the lack of response to my (urgent) questions!

I took matters into my own hands and purchased the Belkin 108W GaN USB, Belkin 30W as well as Belkin BoostCharge Pro Flex. Both power adapters are compatible with 9V 3A, among other things, and this matches the specs from the CA1000T. The cable also has some special certifications. I bought a cable for charging and a cable for connection to the PC. So far nothing has burned, so I hope it continues to do so.

I also had the opportunity today to compare the CA1000T with an ADI-2 DAC, which in turn has the same sound quality as the brand new ADI 2/4 Pro SE. What can I say, the improvement with the CA1000T was just generally noticeable, it struck me immediately. By the way, I didn't immediately notice such a clear positive difference when I compared, say, the HUGO 2 or Hugo TT2 with the ADI. So I was right when I said in an earlier post that I didn't remember the HD800S sounding that good. CA1000T matchs for me quite well also to the Trifecta (better than the SP3000), because the sound is uncolored.

FYI, sometimes it hangs when I turn it on, so I have to hold the power button down for 7 seconds. This happens occasionally and I'm sure it's a bug that can be fixed with a firmware update.
Apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I never got a notification about your post and it was sent over the weekend here. I try to spend time with the family on the weekends instead of working all week and all weekend. If anything is urgent, please PM me if I don't respond right away. I will go back and read your posts and respond.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 14, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #87 of 199
Some updates:

I'm glad you are pleased with your unit!

I hope there will be more case options, the brown faux leather MITER case seems to be the only option at the moment. A TPU case shouldn't be too difficult to mold.

Feb 14, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #88 of 199
Apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I never got a notification about your post and it was sent over the weekend here. I try to spend time with the family on the weekends instead of working all week and all weekend. If anything is urgent, please PM me if I don't respond right away. I will go back and read your posts and respond.
Please excuse me (!), I just didn't think about the fact that we had a weekend and that you might just want to have your rest without work. I was really just wondering about that. If you have time and feel like it, feel free to read my last 2-3 posts and give me a response, just to be safe. Otherwise, I think I've solved the problem. Only I don't know anything about the subject, that's why I had asked the questions. It was about:

1. the right power adapter,
2. the right cable for charging and connecting to the PC,
3. now this bug when turning on the device.

Anyway, the CA1000T is just awesome, it's the device I've been waiting for for a very long time!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #89 of 199
Sorry, but I find it pretty weak from AK that no power supply is included with the CA1000T after paying so much money. Not even Apple dares to do something like that with the iPad!
I agree 100% on chargers. Unfortunately, these are pretty niche products and to include country/region specific chargers is difficult, especially if something is not selling as well in one region and selling more in another region. It is easy to shuffle inventory to meet demand. If AK were a billion dollar company like Apple, it would be easier.

Now, it is recommended in the manual not to charge the device via the PC
Power delivery via UBB port varies by computer and even from port to port, the power output may not be consistant, which is why it is not recommended. You can certainly do so and not harm the device.

The iPhone power supply is 5W 5V 1A and the iPad power supply is 20W 9V 2.22A (or 5V 3A??). Recommended in the manual is 9V 3A or apparently 5V 2A. My question is: Can I still use the power supply from the iPhone or iPad? Would that be safe?
Perfectly safe as those are in the range of acceptable power output. As the CA1000T supports PD 2.0, any PD 2.0 rated charger would be supported. I also recommend any Qualcomm 2.0 or 3.0 certified charger as they would work without issue.

The manual says not to use any other cable than the one supplied.
The North America team usually edits the manuals for English as sometimes the translation from Korean is good, but could be misleading. We did not do the CA1000T for some reason, I believe the UK team did. What should be said was that the cable is not proprietary and any quality USB cable could be used. You may experience issues using a lower quality, cheap cable as they may not be up to USB spec. I personally am a fan of the Anker USB cables and use them with all my AK products. Anything that is over a few dollars should be good to use and not cause any issues.

No issues with any of these being used with the CA1000T

Again, apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Feel free in the future to PM me if it is urgent and you have not received a response in 24 hours.

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #90 of 199
Got my CA1000T today and haven’t stopped listening to it since! I loved my CA1000 but couldn’t resist the temptation to get the new model. Boy, I am so glad I did! This thing is just wonderful. I did a brief comparison between the two by grouping them in Roon. At first I wasn’t sure the differences I could hear were improvements, but the more I listened the wider the gap between the two became. One very happy new owner here 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back