Astell&Kern Launches Three New Products to Start 2023
May 15, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #181 of 199
@JasonNYC can the PA10 handle: 3.5mm (non balanced) output from DAC to its 4.4mm balanced INPUT via an adapter? I'd like to use the Mojo 2 with PA10 but also utilise its 4.4mm output as I need more power. I know for most of my desktop gear amplifiers, it's not problem using non balanced signal into their balanced inputs using say rca>xlr adapters, and I assume PA10 also shouldn't have an issue, but just though I should double check.

May 15, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #182 of 199
@JasonNYC can the PA10 handle: 3.5mm (non balanced) output from DAC to its 4.4mm balanced INPUT via an adapter? I'd like to use the Mojo 2 with PA10 but also utilise its 4.4mm output as I need more power. I know for most of my desktop gear amplifiers, it's not problem using non balanced signal into their balanced inputs using say rca>xlr adapters, and I assume PA10 also shouldn't have an issue, but just though I should double check.
I’m afraid you’re out of luck. I remember seeing a mention of this in the product page when it first came out. Just found it again now and it says:
“Output is available for the same size as the input terminal. (Ports cannot be mixed for use e.g., 3.5→4.4 / 4.4→3.5)”

May 15, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #183 of 199
I’m afraid you’re out of luck. I remember seeing a mention of this in the product page when it first came out. Just found it again now and it says:
“Output is available for the same size as the input terminal. (Ports cannot be mixed for use e.g., 3.5→4.4 / 4.4→3.5)”

I made I mistake with one of my adapters today - used a 3.5mm to 4.4mm (instead of the 2.5 to 4.4) for my dongle dac and it worked fine with the pa10’s 4.4 output, sounded great. Now if this can cause a problem if used long term I don’t know so I’m not going to keep doing it until I hear otherwise

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #184 of 199
Here’s a strange one. I got some Warwick Bravura headphones and I’ve been sending digital to the energizer from my iPhone 12 Pro Max and my SP3000. When playing the exact same Qobuz or Tidal tracks, the sound quality is noticeably better coming down the SP3000, using maximum quality settings on both apps. I would’ve thought each device would be sending an identical stream of 1’s and 0’s. The only thing I can think of is maybe the DAR is modifying the digital signal before sending it out the USB

May 17, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #185 of 199
Here’s a strange one. I got some Warwick Bravura headphones and I’ve been sending digital to the energizer from my iPhone 12 Pro Max and my SP3000. When playing the exact same Qobuz or Tidal tracks, the sound quality is noticeably better coming down the SP3000, using maximum quality settings on both apps. I would’ve thought each device would be sending an identical stream of 1’s and 0’s. The only thing I can think of is maybe the DAR is modifying the digital signal before sending it out the USB
Check USB decrapifiers - it's a big thing. reclocking/signal cleaning is very important. No doubt the DAP has good digital section, most I've tried give better digital signal compared to a phone

May 17, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #186 of 199
Check USB decrapifiers - it's a big thing. reclocking/signal cleaning is very important. No doubt the DAP has good digital section, most I've tried give better digital signal compared to a phone
Thanks, homeslice. The only advantage of using my iPhone is that I can somehow adjust the volume up and down on the digital signal it sends out, whereas the SP3000 is fixed at 150. It would be nice to have a finer level of volume control.

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #189 of 199
Jun 19, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #190 of 199
I posted some thoughts over in the usb-c dongle thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...s-find-the-best.908839/page-303#post-17453315
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...s-find-the-best.908839/page-300#post-17415106

In short it's great. Since writing the posts above I have actually sold it - since I bought the SR35 :wink:
Nice write up. You're probably the first in the world for HC3 impressions. Could you confirm if the AK HC3 is warmer than the AK HC2? As you have stated one of it is brighter, but it seems a little unclear which one. I'm looking for something with more bass than the PEE51 which is a bright sounding usb c dac. Am also looking for one with 3.5mm SE focus as most of my iems are SE (for convenience sake).

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #191 of 199
Nice write up. You're probably the first in the world for HC3 impressions. Could you confirm if the AK HC3 is warmer than the AK HC2? As you have stated one of it is brighter, but it seems a little unclear which one. I'm looking for something with more bass than the PEE51 which is a bright sounding usb c dac. Am also looking for one with 3.5mm SE focus as most of my iems are SE (for convenience sake).
My feeling was that the HC2 was probably the brighter of the two, but take that with a grain of salt as I never got to compare the HC2 and HC3 directly with the same headphones; I used the HC2 with the HD58X but had sold those headphones by the time I picked up the HC3.

I previously had the PEE51 some time ago, but didn't find it particularly bright? I think I've come to prefer 3.5mm dongles as well, just so handy for convenience sake and you know the 3.5mm output will have been implemented with all due focus, when some of the dual output models seem to prioritize the 4.4mm sound quality. The Violectric Chronos and A&K HC3 have certainly been my favorites in that regard, with the only real downside of the HC3 being the higher power draw.

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #192 of 199
Hi all,

I had a chance to audition the PA10 this weekend. What a wonderful device this is! The build quality and the output it has are just amazing. I just cannot understand how this is so cheap. One of my friends from Canada said that if Brise Tsuranagi is selling for $2700, PA10 has to sell for at least $1500-$1700. And I totally agree with this. With such amazing build quality, form factor and sound, A&K is just throwing it away for $700. The back face has been very thoughtfully made. In the second version of this device, A7K can just change the side switches, which are very delicate, and then sell it for at least double the price. I am sure the demand for this device is going to increase, which is why I just ordered one for myself. I hope A&K keeps releasing such amazing products in the future.

Last thing: A&K SP2KT was such a disappointment.

Cheers!

Jun 26, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #193 of 199
Hi all,

I had a chance to audition the PA10 this weekend. What a wonderful device this is! The build quality and the output it has are just amazing. I just cannot understand how this is so cheap. One of my friends from Canada said that if Brise Tsuranagi is selling for $2700, PA10 has to sell for at least $1500-$1700. And I totally agree with this. With such amazing build quality, form factor and sound, A&K is just throwing it away for $700. The back face has been very thoughtfully made. In the second version of this device, A7K can just change the side switches, which are very delicate, and then sell it for at least double the price. I am sure the demand for this device is going to increase, which is why I just ordered one for myself. I hope A&K keeps releasing such amazing products in the future.

Last thing: A&K SP2KT was such a disappointment.

Cheers!
Yes, I have and confirm A&K PA10 is a wonderful sound I am delighted. If the new Astell&Kern SE300 DAP, which also uses a class-A amplifier inside, sounds so great (unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to listen to it yet) Then the use of class-A amplifiers in DAPs sets a new direction.

It is difficult for me to say unequivocally whether this is a better solution than the "T" version with internal tubes (SP2000T, CA1OOOT) - this is a broader topic for comparison and testing.

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #194 of 199
Friends, last night was so disappointing. I bought a PA10, which was delivered yesterday. The battery has some issues. Out of the box, the battery was completely drained, which I thought could be possible. I put it on charge for 2-3 hours, and it did not even last 5 minutes. I have charged it multiple times, but the battery does not last for more than 5-7 minutes. The unit charges properly, switches on, etc., but the battery is surely faulty here.

Did any of the members here find a battery drain issue with PA10? Is there anything I should try before I send it back for a refund?

Jun 29, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #195 of 199
IMG_1727.jpeg
Friends, last night was so disappointing. I bought a PA10, which was delivered yesterday. The battery has some issues. Out of the box, the battery was completely drained, which I thought could be possible. I put it on charge for 2-3 hours, and it did not even last 5 minutes. I have charged it multiple times, but the battery does not last for more than 5-7 minutes. The unit charges properly, switches on, etc., but the battery is surely faulty here.

Did any of the members here find a battery drain issue with PA10? Is there anything I should try before I send it back for a refund?
Sadly, it sounds like you received a defective PA10 and should return it for a replacement or repair. I know that is disappointing and a big hassle.

I have had no issues using a 5v 2a charger and the battery life has been great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back