Astell&Kern Launches New flagship DAP and an IEM Collaboration with Empire Ears
Jan 14, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #361 of 395
IMHO if you have a chance, try Hiby RS8, I have also the Sp3000 and I slightly prefer the RS8… besides of the sound, it has less software bugs
Sure.
Read about RS8 and I knew it has a R2R dac. The other side, I will not looking for an AK again ( bcs of my sp1k is not as solid as for the cost of 3k

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #362 of 395
thanks for the reply! Does it play dsd natively? Any issues?
[This post is about SP1k]
Native dsd and ok for dsd tracks.
Issue is when you want to play flac in dsd format (yes, neutron or Onkyo hf player do that), hw is lack of power to do handle the job (real time flac to dsd conversion) ->flick may happen eventually and less if turn scr off.
And android on AK really limited. I want Android9 to install wavelet but it just 6.0

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #363 of 395
Native dsd and ok for dsd tracks.
Issue is when you want to play flac in dsd format (yes, neutron or Onkyo hf player do that), hw is lack of power to do handle the job (real time flac to dsd conversion) ->flick may happen eventually and less if turn scr off.
And android on AK really limited. I want Android9 to install wavelet but it just 6.0
It’s 11 or 12 on the SP3000 though - I don’t recall but they have stated that somewhere

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #365 of 395
@TYATYA

You should probably mention that you have to be rooted (or roll back firmware) to install Neutron and other non white-listed apks on SP1K. I don't know if anyone has rooted the SP3000.

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #366 of 395
Just spoke to Jack at Empire Ears. This was his response when asked about Odyssey compared to Odin and EVO - "As far as comparisons go the Odyssey is the best thing we've tuned to date. It takes the best of what the Odin and EVO had to offer and cranks it up to an 11. Wider soundstage, better detail retrieval/imaging, more extended treble and a smoother upper mid-range for easy listening."
@JasonNYC was the Odyssey only intended to be a limited edition? Or can one hope that these will have another batch released for general availability?

Feb 2, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #367 of 395
Maybe EE is planning an own model to be released going for a similar tuning 😉

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #370 of 395
Maybe EE is planning an own model to be released going for a similar tuning 😉
One can only hope. After auditioning the Legend Evo for the last 2 days and owning some prior Astell & Kern headphone/IEM collaborations... I definitely want a pair of the Odyssey or something very similar from Empire Ears.

It's a shame the Odyssey was treated like trying to win the lottery on the Nike SNKRS app. I think that the Odyssey is something everyone who really wanted one should have been able to purchase or made to order. I regret not listening to them @ CanJam SoCal 2022 and being late to Empire Ears recent offerings.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #371 of 395
One can only hope. After auditioning the Legend Evo for the last 2 days and owning some prior Astell & Kern headphone/IEM collaborations... I definitely want a pair of the Odyssey or something very similar from Empire Ears.

It's a shame the Odyssey was treated like trying to win the lottery on the Nike SNKRS app. I think that the Odyssey is something everyone who really wanted one should have been able to purchase or made to order. I regret not listening to them @ CanJam SoCal 2022 and being late to Empire Ears recent offerings.

you mean it is hard to buy or it is hard to buy a nice face plate?

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #372 of 395
you mean it is hard to buy or it is hard to buy a nice face plate?
It's sold out pretty much everywhere in the US. I also didn't want to purchase it as an open box or second hand.

So I'm really hoping this gets a re-release or Astell & Kern and/or Empire Ears makes something similar. I have yet to own or demo an Astell & Kern product that I didn't love.

I respect their R&D, Engineering prowess, and "house sound" as it resonates with the way I like my music presented to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back