Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Dec 6, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #466 of 605
Thanks for the input!

I was able to test today the Utopia with the s35 of a friend. Happy to say that they get loud enough at 95/150 in high gain mode.
Everything sounds beautiful and controlled.
The A&K PA10 is not needed imo and the Kann Max would definetely be an overkill for it.
Between sr35, mojo2, and WA tube mini
SR35 sounds lean to me.
Mojo2 sounds more authority to me. With EQ, it helps a lot.
With tube mini, I think this is all you need in life without the desktop SS or Tube Amp.....
Tube mini is cheapest but sounds definitely the best out of three.
I use SR35 connect to mojo2 because of the blackest background in place of Hiby R3Pro.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #467 of 605
@JasonNYC

Is this device abandoned already? There hasn't been any updates on firmware changes for the whitelist... That was something I was expecting to happen, to add Roon ARC and Apple Classical (at a minimum). Boy, I really dislike the whitelist... :wink:

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #468 of 605
@JasonNYC

Is this device abandoned already? There hasn't been any updates on firmware changes for the whitelist... That was something I was expecting to happen, to add Roon ARC and Apple Classical (at a minimum). Boy, I really dislike the whitelist... :wink:
Definitely not abandoned. Let me find out the latest update and get back to you.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 7, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #469 of 605
Can you white list the wavelet app?

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #470 of 605
Dec 7, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #471 of 605
Definitely not abandoned. Let me find out the latest update and get back to you.
Thanks!! I'm loving mine.

On the topic of whitelisting, I'd love to see the SirusXM app (yeah, I know, poor audio quality!) and Pocketcasts whitelisted as well. That --- especially Pocketcasts --- would totally eliminate the need for my cell phone when I'm out and about.

That said, I do get that the whitelisting process probably takes some time and effort on y'all's part to do the necessary testing and so forth.

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #472 of 605
Might be different but I was able to download Sirius/XM to my SR25. Just have not tried it yet on this unit.

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #475 of 605
I just gave it a go and got it first try. SiriusXM 6.7.0. Remember once you get it on the SR35 it still has to be installed. The only problem I had was remembering my password for SiriusXM to sign in.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #476 of 605
I just gave it a go and got it first try. SiriusXM 6.7.0. Remember once you get it on the SR35 it still has to be installed. The only problem I had was remembering my password for SiriusXM to sign in.
Well, color me stupid.

It helps to have WiFi on.

And be patient.

Thanks for letting me know so I'd give it another try!

Off to stream some Real Jazz while I make dinner!

Dec 16, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #477 of 605
Dec 18, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #478 of 605
I've had my player since Friday and the balanced cable for Senn 600/650 since noon. Absolutely loving it. Has anyone found a seller with an adapter that goes from dual 3.5mm balanced to single 4.4mm balanced. My searching so far has been fruitless. Thanks in advance.

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #479 of 605
OK, so update & happy customer here.

MTP is in fact slow.

But the real problem I had --- the media player quitting and restarting --- was due to a microSD formatted as exFAT, not FAT. I knew the difference, just pulled the card from my other device and popped it in expecting it to index the media library and just work. Oops! Jose at Moon Audio set me straight with a couple of quick emails, and what took me so long in posting back here was the delay in getting stuff on the card. A&K answered too, with the same info. Once I got the card loaded up and in the unit, it took a while to index, which people had warned me about and that's OK.

So some general comments on the unit now that I have it working.
0. The build quality is good. Really, really good. It has a nice heft in the hand, and it's a good size. I'm not about to drop it (if I can help it) or pound nails with it, but it definitely feels like it would survive both. It's something I'm happy just picking up and putting down.
1. Once the card is indexed the media player navigation is fine. Fast scrolling, good browsing, reasonable time loading album art. I don't feel like I'm waiting for anything when I go to pick my music. I like the navigation metaphors now that I'm finding my away around. I'm still a little slow getting to the top bar where you chose Artist/Album/Genre/whatever --- from a given list you click the v it's slow to load the menu. I'm not sure if the hit area is too small, or if it's doing something, or both.
2. I like the visual theme skin / red look. It's not a reason to pay this much for a DAP, but liking it Is good. :)
3. I've not done a whole bunch of listening yet, but so far it sounds great. Every bit as good as I hoped. I'm hoping to do some comparisons with the old Sony NW-A57 when I have time in the next few days.
4. Ditto on battery life --- so far it seems fine.
5. Having Tidal, Spotify, and Qobuz is definitely a nice step up from non-Android DAPs. I am looking forward to using that around the house.

Kudos to Jose at Moon Audio and the A&K folks for getting back to me so promptly, and I'm quite happy that my issues were me being an idiot and not anything else. When I'm thinking about headphones, I'll definitely give the Moon Audio folks a shot at my business, and A&K has ensured another happy customer.
I recently bought an sr35 ( late November). I took my exFat sandisk 1TB microsd from my Sony NWA55 and installed it into my SR35, turned on the SR35 and waited for it to build an index. It did so relatively quickly ( I dont remember how long it took) and then it worked. It is somewhat slow for some things but it works well. I was surprised to read that an exFat micro sd card would not work for you. I have not noticed any problems of songs starting and stopping. Interestingly enough, before I wrote the above I decided to check the formatting of the micro sd card. I used the AK eject the micro sd card feature, put the card in my Mac and found that is indeed formatted as exfat. When I put the card back into the sr35, the sr35 found it, but it had to rebuild the index. It took less then 2 hours to get most of the way through the files. I have 664 GB of files on the micro sd card. If the index doesn't get all the way through he files, I will let you know.

Dec 18, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #480 of 605
I recently bought an sr35 ( late November). I took my exFat sandisk 1TB microsd from my Sony NWA55 and installed it into my SR35, turned on the SR35 and waited for it to build an index. It did so relatively quickly ( I dont remember how long it took) and then it worked. It is somewhat slow for some things but it works well. I was surprised to read that an exFat micro sd card would not work for you. I have not noticed any problems of songs starting and stopping. Interestingly enough, before I wrote the above I decided to check the formatting of the micro sd card. I used the AK eject the micro sd card feature, put the card in my Mac and found that is indeed formatted as exfat. When I put the card back into the sr35, the sr35 found it, but it had to rebuild the index. It took less then 2 hours to get most of the way through the files. I have 664 GB of files on the micro sd card. If the index doesn't get all the way through he files, I will let you know.
Good Lord 2 hours!???
In Astell & Kern Kann Ultra original Samsung Pro Plus 512GB card
exFAT File System. (approx. 400GB of data)
Indexing time 2-3 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back