Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Nov 6, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #436 of 605
I'm just trying to collect info before buying it !
Some reviews were a bit scaring but it's very good to have your input.
Thanks !
I have one too. Got a 512 GB SD card on it with som 100 DSD. While it is a little slow it has never bothered me. But don't expect flagship phone speed. Relax, take a sip of sake and enjoy the 🎶. :)

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #437 of 605
Thank you so much for your info.
I'm planning to buy one, but the slow UI reported by some users has made me cautious (considering that I have a 1TB microSD full of DSD files...)

Mine has a 1 TB card that's about half full, mostly flac but some DSD as well.

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #438 of 605
I have used 256MB, 512MB, and now 1TB sdcards in both my SR15 and SR35. The larger the sdcard, the longer it takes after boot for the OS to make it available. The SR15 sometimes just flat out refuses to ever mount the 1TB sdcard, requiring a reboot. the SR35 always succeeds, and does so quite a bit faster, but I'd estimate it still takes at *least* 2-3 minutes to become available. Navigating to the sdcard folder any sooner sometimes triggers a death spiral of [whatever it's doing] that results in the sdcard never becoming available, requiring a reboot. The SR35 is much improved in this respect, but still a bit slow off the starting block.

My sdcards are generally almost entirely filled up with flac, m4a, and mp3 (mostly flac). Not sure how many individual files, but there are a lot. I don't use playlists or any of the indexing features (which makes it pretty annoying that this can't be disabled), I just put albums inside folders, navigate to the folder, and play the files.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #439 of 605
Would be interesting to know the distribution of users regarding the leather case: use it or just keep it "naked" ?
Someone reported that the use of the case is not very friendly when operating the "upper options menu"

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #440 of 605
Would be interesting to know the distribution of users regarding the leather case: use it or just keep it "naked" ?
Someone reported that the use of the case is not very friendly when operating the "upper options menu"
Wearing protections and using covers is a wise move, but unfortunately, some will only realize it after the fact.
There are two teams - those who consistently care about their health and safety, by putting protections on their electronic portable devices, such as smartphones or DAPs, and the other team, which may regret not taking this step earlier.

Both of these groups experience some inconveniences related to the comfort of using protections and covers, but what's important is that they prioritize their health and safeguarding their valuable possessions. Don't be in the regretful group, join those who make wise decisions and protect what's important

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #441 of 605

Took drastic actions. Feed up of pressing back instead of screen on/off :angry:

Attachments

• IMG_4661.JPG
    IMG_4661.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #444 of 605
That's a huge difference from what other users are reporting (10 to 30 seconds). May we know what sdcard are you using ?

SanDisk 1TB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I. The SR35's UI itself is fine-ish, but mounting the sdcard after boot, and sometimes moving between folders on the sdcard, can lag considerably. I want to stress that this was *much* worse on the SR15. The SR35 is definitely better, but it's still at least a 2-3 minute wait *after* boot for the sdcard to become available in the Folders menu. I have occasionally seen it appear more or less immediately, but my experience with both devices has been that if you try to access the folders before the card becomes available, it confuses the OS. On the SR15 this would result in it permanently ignoring the sdcard until reboot. The SR35 just seems to start over trying to mount it, and it always eventually makes the sdcard available after another couple of minutes.

Just for reference, my FAT32 formatted sdcard has 440 top-level directories named for artists, with directories named for albums nested inside them. The actual audio files are located inside those album directories.

This consistent problem is really the only thing I didn't like about the SR15. As I say, it's much improved on the SR35, but still a bit annoying.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #446 of 605
agreed. Expecting firmware updates for most players to be pushed out by the end of the month, but still have not received confirmation on Apple Classical on all players or Roon Arc support. I do know Apple Classical launch in Korea was pushed back, so it is still not available for testing there, which is part of the delay in support.

????

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #447 of 605
Got a 1.5TB SanDisk Ultra microSD into SR35.
It tooks a long while for the first time to scan the files, but one can play thru. folder without waiting for the scan to complete.

The scan itself was completed overnight.

I guess the unit will check to see if there is new files each time it powers up, but it will do it in the background and takes just a minute or two.
Does the s35 recognize an sdcard of 1.5TB or larger? If so, then I will probably by a 1.5TB card for the Sp3000.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #448 of 605
The SR35 will be Roon Ready upon release. Support for Roon ARC will not be available out of the box, but may come in a future firmware update.

Not sure. I asked the hardware team, but did not receive a response.

I'm pretty sure it is actually running Android 9, not 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back