Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
May 24, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #196 of 592
Any firsthand info on use hours per battery charge, eg two vs four dac, hi and low gain?
I should’ve wrote in-hand

Today during my 1 hour lunch break I listened to the SR35 on High Gain, Four DAC, Balanced Output, mixture of 16bit and 24bit in a playlist, just left the screen off and let my playlist play, the battery went down 8%. At that rate, you'd get about a total of 12.5hours of total playback on a full charge.

May 24, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #197 of 592
Had my unit up for sale in the Classifieds, but withdrawn it as the sound of this little player has been growing on me. Add the ISN EST50 and the Penon Vocal cable into the equation and that’s all I ask to commute or business travel from a sound quality perspective. Natural, balanced and not fatiguing. The SR35’s purpose is fulfilled in my book.

The UI is not the snappiest, but it’s not a dealbreaker at all. It works just fine. We might not forget how solidly built the device is and that the battery life is outstanding.

Yes, there most likely will be a SR35 MK2 and later a SR45, etc… I don’t see why this should prevent anyone to get the SR35, if it suits one‘s needs.

IMG_4769.jpeg

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #198 of 592
I am curious about your statement that overall tuning and timbre are quite consistent between the SR35 and HC3. Am I wrong if I read it as HC3 is also non-fatiguing, slightly warm with clear tone definition?
If it is true, then I am a bit surprised because HC3 uses ESS ES9219MQ DAC while SR35 has Cirrus Logic CS43198 DAC. ESS DACs are somehow known for slightly harsher higher frequencies (I can confirm this from SoundBlaster AE-5 Plus with ES9016K2M DAC). If HC3 proves the opposite, that ESS DACs could sound at least a bit warm with non-fatiguing sound signature, then it confirms a huge importance of DAC implementation, not just the DAC chip itself.
Yes I was quite surprised that their overall tonality has ended up so similar despite different form factors and DAC chips. As I said earlier the detail and soundstage aren't on the same level as the SR35, but I find the basic sound signature is much the same.

May 26, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #202 of 592
It starts out like this:
IMG_1063.jpeg

Then when you scroll down the top menu text disappears:

IMG_1064.jpeg

Very good selection of music do you have there…👍
do SR35 give them all the punch it needs? 🤘🏼

May 27, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #204 of 592
It’s getting better and better. A warmish single DD set, even if not very easy to drive, pairs marvelously with the AK SR35.

IMG_4772.jpeg

…and it plays Electronics with aplomb

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #206 of 592
Thanks. Is there an album list option? Like albums in single line horizontal list? Not sure how else to put it. I do recall album art thumbnails were not available for it.
Also, does this player have amp class AB/A functionality?
Cheers
You can switch the album list to be like this:
IMG_1069.jpeg

For the amp there’s two gain levels but I presume they’re both AB. I think the new SE300 and PA10 are the only A&K products with class A?

May 28, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #207 of 592
Astell & Kern has brought the matter back to life with class-A amplifiers in portable devices.
There have already been such attempts by several class-A companies, the most famous being the Cayin C9.
It's a bull's-eye and allows you to use class-A in new equipment as well as gives you the ability to connect to your current one.
Whether to buy class-A I am convinced, I hesitate only if:
Astell & Kern SR 35 aprox - 800$
Astell & Kern SE 300 aprox -1900$
Astell & Kern PA10 aprox - 550$

Combo AKSR35 + PA10 -1350$ - seems attractive to try class-A

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #208 of 592
Astell & Kern has brought the matter back to life with class-A amplifiers in portable devices.
There have already been such attempts by several class-A companies, the most famous being the Cayin C9.
It's a bull's-eye and allows you to use class-A in new equipment as well as gives you the ability to connect to your current one.
Whether to buy class-A I am convinced, I hesitate only if:
Astell & Kern SR 35 aprox - 800$
Astell & Kern SE 300 aprox -1900$
Astell & Kern PA10 aprox - 550$

Combo AKSR35 + PA10 -1350$ - seems attractive to try class-A
You could buy the PA10 first and use it with any of the dongles on the market from your phone,iPad or computer.
This way you could have a few different sound signature feeding the amp and still be Less than the SR35.

I use various dongles and a Chord Mojo 2 feeding a Vorzuge Pure ii+ portable amp as it gives me the opportunity to change the sound rather than be stuck with one dap.

Saying that I would still like to try the SR35 one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back