Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #228 of 605
After a few weeks of usage happy to report that this little player ticks all the right boxes for my portable use. One thing I would like to know is how the BT performance is using LDAC ? With the SR25 (MK 1) LDAC caused some drop outs but this player has more recent BT. Asking as Sony has some new TWS releasing in the coming weeks..... Thanks in advance.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #229 of 605
After a few weeks of usage happy to report that this little player ticks all the right boxes for my portable use. One thing I would like to know is how the BT performance is using LDAC ? With the SR25 (MK 1) LDAC caused some drop outs but this player has more recent BT. Asking as Sony has some new TWS releasing in the coming weeks..... Thanks in advance.
Great. One question, on installed apps update is like Android or you do it manually?

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #231 of 605
Great. One question, on installed apps update is like Android or you do it manually?
Don't know (yet) as I'm only using Apple Music and the current beta on the player is still the most recent one available. I do think that the 'download' tab of the white listed apps always retrieves the most recent versions. Will keep an eye on it if one day I get a notification to update Apple Music.

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #232 of 605
Don't know (yet) as I'm only using Apple Music and the current beta on the player is still the most recent one available. I do think that the 'download' tab of the white listed apps always retrieves the most recent versions. Will keep an eye on it if one day I get a notification to update Apple Music.

The download tab points to app versions that are stored by A&K somewhere. I'm not sure how often they update the versions but they are not always the latest. For example the non-beta Apple Music 4.2.0 has been out for several weeks.

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #234 of 605
I've ordered mine to be delivered this Friday. If anyone has any requests let me know. I just went through the manual and it seems it does everything I need. What sold me was the amp, it's 6 vrm so should be able to power my HD6xx. Plus what I found exciting was that the amp uses the same tech used in the SP3000. In my opinion the amp section of the DAP is the most important since most "midfi" to "hifi" DAC chips sound differences are imperceptible to me.

According to their website "With this new technology, the SR35 contains the same amplifier design as the latest A&ultima and A&futura products, completely transforming into an amplifier design worthy of premium audio, from OPAMP selection to component placement and circuit design."

This is insane to me and I had to read it twice. The SR35 uses the same amp components and placement as their SP3000 line. Am I really going to be able to tell the SP3000 discrete DAC to AMP vs switching DAC to AMP? Probably not, especially given the price difference. For purists I can see why discrete would be sought after, but I'm a bit more practical. Additionally the outputs are nearly the same with the SP3000 being 6.3 vs 6 for the SR35.

Now if the user interface is fast enough, and the streaming is not dropping out all the time, then this will definitely be a keeper for me. In my honest opinion if you like the way A & K amps sound and the SR35 actually uses the same amp components and sounds like an SP3000, this is the deal of the century.

Jun 8, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #235 of 605
I've ordered mine to be delivered this Friday. If anyone has any requests let me know. I just went through the manual and it seems it does everything I need. What sold me was the amp, it's 6 vrm so should be able to power my HD6xx. Plus what I found exciting was that the amp uses the same tech used in the SP3000. In my opinion the amp section of the DAP is the most important since most "midfi" to "hifi" DAC chips sound differences are imperceptible to me.

According to their website "With this new technology, the SR35 contains the same amplifier design as the latest A&ultima and A&futura products, completely transforming into an amplifier design worthy of premium audio, from OPAMP selection to component placement and circuit design."

This is insane to me and I had to read it twice. The SR35 uses the same amp components and placement as their SP3000 line. Am I really going to be able to tell the SP3000 discrete DAC to AMP vs switching DAC to AMP? Probably not, especially given the price difference. For purists I can see why discrete would be sought after, but I'm a bit more practical. Additionally the outputs are nearly the same with the SP3000 being 6.3 vs 6 for the SR35.

Now if the user interface is fast enough, and the streaming is not dropping out all the time, then this will definitely be a keeper for me. In my honest opinion if you like the way A & K amps sound and the SR35 actually uses the same amp components and sounds like an SP3000, this is the deal of the century.
Nothing suggests, but for no reason in the pictures the new DAP A&K SR35 appears in the pictures with the latest class-A A&K PA10 portable balanced amplifier. Not only that, some people buy it as an addition to the already great SP3000.
I picked it up yesterday and posted my first impressions on the A&K PA10 thread. Listen SR35 is great equipment, and just for test, I repeat for test - go to the showroom/shop and try it with A&K PA10 - yes it sounds really qualitatively super crazy. A&K SR35 + PA10 - awesome kit and hardware sandwich.

Jun 8, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #236 of 605
Nothing suggests, but for no reason in the pictures the new DAP A&K SR35 appears in the pictures with the latest class-A A&K PA10 portable balanced amplifier. Not only that, some people buy it as an addition to the already great SP3000.
I picked it up yesterday and posted my first impressions on the A&K PA10 thread. Listen SR35 is great equipment, and just for test, I repeat for test - go to the showroom/shop and try it with A&K PA10 - yes it sounds really qualitatively super crazy. A&K SR35 + PA10 - awesome kit and hardware sandwich.
How much higher is the PA10 output from the SR35 6 vrms?

Jun 8, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #237 of 605
How much higher is the PA10 output from the SR35 6 vrms?
Catalog A&K is the ......same value
[High Gain] Unbalanced 3.1Vrms / Balanced 6.2Vrms (Condition No Load)

And in fact ???? is in my opinion the A&K PA10 is louder and this power is palpable from the beginning and not forced by successive GAIN stages.

I am not a supporter of arms races of audio equipment companies regarding the power in the DAP because most of us probably will not use it above a maximum of 75%.
Currently, power (and size) has become a determinant of DAP quality ???
Of course some high impedance and planary headphones need power.
The second and most important thing is the quality of the sound loud but is it good .... a wide topic.

Don't fixate that when you buy A&K SR35 you have to buy PA10 now.
A&K SR35 is the new first DAP model in years that is finally REALLY portable, light, handy and lasts a long time on the battery.
And I don't think its sound is bad - at this price it sounds very good!
If you read my post in the section about PA10 or FIIO M11 Plus Ltd - I had a different situation because I already had a 2-year-old DAP and I wanted to enrich it.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #238 of 605
Catalog A&K is the ......same value
[High Gain] Unbalanced 3.1Vrms / Balanced 6.2Vrms (Condition No Load)

And in fact ???? is in my opinion the A&K PA10 is louder and this power is palpable from the beginning and not forced by successive GAIN stages.

I am not a supporter of arms races of audio equipment companies regarding the power in the DAP because most of us probably will not use it above a maximum of 75%.
Currently, power (and size) has become a determinant of DAP quality ???
Of course some high impedance and planary headphones need power.
The second and most important thing is the quality of the sound loud but is it good .... a wide topic.

Don't fixate that when you buy A&K SR35 you have to buy PA10 now.
A&K SR35 is the new first DAP model in years that is finally REALLY portable, light, handy and lasts a long time on the battery.
And I don't think its sound is bad - at this price it sounds very good!
If you read my post in the section about PA10 or FIIO M11 Plus Ltd - I had a different situation because I already had a 2-year-old DAP and I wanted to enrich it.
Though I understand how gain staging works on audio interfaces for recording, I'm not sure how gain staging works on daps. If the gain staging is from the DAC to the AMP, I don't think I need to be that concerned. The s/n, if it's to be believed for the SR35 is a crazy 130db, the same as the SP3000. I'm assuming this is at the low gain setting. With the higher gain stage that would likely shrink but 130 dbs gives you quite a bit of room. Now, what's interesting is the s/n is the best at the highest volume level for an amp. If the SR35 can power my HD6xx comfortably nearer the highest output on the low gain setting, I'll be maximizing the s/n, getting closer to the 130 s/n. Even if I do need to use the higher gain, the noise should be imperceptible. I'm hoping the sound on the SR35 will be close to the SP3000. I am very curious though about how the SP3000 sounds with the new AK chips and discrete architecture, given that Astell & Kern worked with AK on designing the AK4499EX. I'm wondering if the new discrete pathway of completely separating the digital signal from the analog signal processing will make that huge of a difference as well.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #239 of 605
Though I understand how gain staging works on audio interfaces for recording, I'm not sure how gain staging works on daps. If the gain staging is from the DAC to the AMP, I don't think I need to be that concerned. The s/n, if it's to be believed for the SR35 is a crazy 130db, the same as the SP3000. I'm assuming this is at the low gain setting. With the higher gain stage that would likely shrink but 130 dbs gives you quite a bit of room. Now, what's interesting is the s/n is the best at the highest volume level for an amp. If the SR35 can power my HD6xx comfortably nearer the highest output on the low gain setting, I'll be maximizing the s/n, getting closer to the 130 s/n. Even if I do need to use the higher gain, the noise should be imperceptible. I'm hoping the sound on the SR35 will be close to the SP3000. I am very curious though about how the SP3000 sounds with the new AK chips and discrete architecture, given that Astell & Kern worked with AK on designing the AK4499EX. I'm wondering if the new discrete pathway of completely separating the digital signal from the analog signal processing will make that huge of a difference as well.
I get the feeling you'd like the SR35 to sound like the SP3000.
hmmm.
I had the opportunity to listen to both models in the store at the same time and place on the same tracks and the same headphones.
These DAPs are two different devices and very different sounds.
The entire internal design of the equipment is different - yes, and this affects the sound, not just the chip used.
The HiBy R6 Pro II (Gen 2) has a similar setup but it doesn't sound like the SP3000
Astell&Kern SP3000 is the real flagship of A&K - only this price ..

Best idea if you ask this question on the A&K SP3000 thread , where regular users and owners SP3000 can tell more about the comparison to the SR35.

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #240 of 605
I get the feeling you'd like the SR35 to sound like the SP3000.
hmmm.
I had the opportunity to listen to both models in the store at the same time and place on the same tracks and the same headphones.
These DAPs are two different devices and very different sounds.
The entire internal design of the equipment is different - yes, and this affects the sound, not just the chip used.
The HiBy R6 Pro II (Gen 2) has a similar setup but it doesn't sound like the SP3000
Astell&Kern SP3000 is the real flagship of A&K - only this price ..

Best idea if you ask this question on the A&K SP3000 thread , where regular users and owners SP3000 can tell more about the comparison to the SR35.
I just want the SR35 to sound good, however if it does sound like the SP3000, that would be pretty amazing. The entire dac section is different between the two, but the amp section and the TERATON ALPHA, may be the same. As I stated in my previous post, the archetecture, op amps and components on the SR35 is supposed to be the same as the SP3000 according to A & K's website. In other words, everything past the DAC and FILTER section may be the same on the SR35 vs. the SP3000. The build of course on the SP3000 is completely different, in terms of it using 409L stainless steel,

If you think that modern quality hi fi and mid fi dacs have some sort of audible difference, then you must have some very good ears that I wished I possessed. In my honest opinion, modern day mid fi and hi fi dacs are nearly indistinguishable when run on the same amps. Some may have bettern SiNAD and lower distortion, but these are all inaudible if run on a clean amp. Amps are generally what add warm and flavor to your audio devices, such as tube amps. I believe the amp section is the most important thing now to consider when looking at a DAP with a quality DAC. Given that the SR35 has a quality DAC and the AMP section may be the same as the SP3000, it may sound nearly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back