Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Jun 29, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #286 of 605
I am up-to-date on firmware on my sr35. It does pop up but you have to give the volume wheel a spin.

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #287 of 605
I just noticed the pop up does not appear on any of the new UI players - SR35, SE300 or SP3000. I believe it is a bug. I sent a message to the dev team along with images. Will update once I hear back.
Hi Jason, I'm a bit confused about the lineout. Is the lineout on the SR35 a true lineout bypassing the internal amp or is it still running through the amp section of the SR35. If still running through the amp, is the different settings for line out just to keep it under 4 volts to protect line in equipment? When researching this years ago for line level, phono level, modular level and mic level sources I read on a website that headphone level outputs should be fine as line level as long as it's 4 volts and under. Keep in mind in balanced mode, the SR35 goes up to 6 volts. Here is the statement from Sweetwater,

"The key here is the voltage. How much voltage does your headphone amp produce? If it’s less than four volts there is little danger of it doing any damage to a line input, and most headphone outputs found in typical audio gear are substantially less than this." LINK

I had just assumed the line out function was a volume/voltage limiter so you don't damage your line in equipment. Is this a correct assumption?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #288 of 605
I just noticed the pop up does not appear on any of the new UI players - SR35, SE300 or SP3000. I believe it is a bug. I sent a message to the dev team along with images. Will update once I hear back.
I think you need something plugged in.
Once you turn on line out mode volume works as always but a notification will pop up briefly to confirm if you want to use fixed voltage. It'll show the voltage you chose in the options. Must be a safeguard not to blow up your hp or ears lol.
I think it's so as not to blow up your line in speakers or line input equipment attached to your SR35. I'm hoping it does limit the output and makes sure it doesn't go above the 4 volts. Better ytr, if it a true line out bypassing the amp section completely.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #289 of 605
Confirmed with the team last night, you need to have something plugged into the headphone jack before the "Line Out" onscreen button shows on the volume screen after enabling the line out. Previous players could turn on Line Out without anything plugged into the jack. The players with the new 4th gen UI (SR35, SE300 and SP3000) all require a cable plugged in before allowing you to enable Line Out.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 1, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #290 of 605
Thanks JasonNYC for the confirmation. I bought the Dan Clark Noire and wanted to see if the SR35 can drive it. I'm still waiting for my balanced cable, but have tested it with the single ended output. It can barely drive the Dan Clark Noire for live classical/opera music on high gain in single ended mode, where I had it at 140 out of 150 volume level. Keep in mind that classical/opera music is generally not as compressed as modern music. For modern music, it's sufficient at around 120-135 out of 150 and is good news since it hints that the high gain setting should be more than sufficient to drive the Dan Clark Noire.

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #291 of 605
Confirmed with the team last night, you need to have something plugged into the headphone jack before the "Line Out" onscreen button shows on the volume screen after enabling the line out. Previous players could turn on Line Out without anything plugged into the jack. The players with the new 4th gen UI (SR35, SE300 and SP3000) all require a cable plugged in before allowing you to enable Line Out.
Ah I get it now, you have to tap that grey "Line Out" box that appears onscreen, and then the pop-up appears asking if you want to switch to line out mode/voltage. I thought that initial Line Out grey box was just telling you it was in line out mode already :face_palm:

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #292 of 605
A csapat tegnap este megerősítette, hogy valamit csatlakoztatnia kell a fejhallgató-csatlakozóhoz, mielőtt a "Line Out" gomb megjelenik a hangerő képernyőn a vonalkimenet engedélyezése után. A korábbi játékosok anélkül is bekapcsolhatták a Line Out-ot, hogy bármit is csatlakoztattak volna a jack aljzathoz. Az új, 4. generációs felhasználói felülettel rendelkező lejátszók (SR35, SE300 és SP3000) mindegyikének kábelt kell csatlakoztatnia ahhoz, hogy engedélyezze a Line Out funkciót.
Is it possible to install a YouTube music app on the SR35? if so, how can I do it and where can I find the YouTube music app installer?

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #293 of 605
Is it possible to install a YouTube music app on the SR35? if so, how can I do it and where can I find the YouTube music app installer?
You can access YouTube and YouTube music via the V-Link app on the player. The full YouTube Music app cannot be installed as it requires Google Play Servies to function properly and AK players do not include access to the Google Play Store.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 15, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #294 of 605
You can access YouTube and YouTube music via the V-Link app on the player. The full YouTube Music app cannot be installed as it requires Google Play Servies to function properly and AK players do not include access to the Google Play Store.
Is V-link an app that downloads and installs other apps that are factory-installed on all sr35 devices? Do you have to enter YouTube in the search field and does it automatically download and install YouTube on the SR 35 device?

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #295 of 605
Is V-link an app that downloads and installs other apps that are factory-installed on all sr35 devices? Do you have to enter YouTube in the search field and does it automatically download and install YouTube on the SR 35 device?
V-link is preinstalled. It's a simplified version of Youtube. I don't know if it's my settings, but when I try to login to my Youtube account on V-link, it crashes the SR35. Other then that, it works perfectly fine.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #296 of 605
V-link is preinstalled. It's a simplified version of Youtube. I don't know if it's my settings, but when I try to login to my Youtube account on V-link, it crashes the SR35. Other then that, it works perfectly fine.
And do you have to turn off the device and turn it back on? How well does Spotify, Apple Music, and Tidal work normally and quickly?

Jul 16, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #297 of 605
And do you have to turn off the device and turn it back on? How well does Spotify, Apple Music, and Tidal work normally and quickly?
I'm not understanding your first question, can you rephrase it. I have no idea about Apple music because I don't use Apple Music. It does work normally with Tidal and Spotify, quickly is based on opinion hahaha. For me it's fast enough.

I don't really use the SR35 with those apps after getting Roon tbh. I use my phone to simply stream my music through Roon and watch YouTube on my phone with it streaming by Bluetooth LDAC to the SR35. Roon works amazing on the SR35. If you want to use it as a stand alone device with those apps I might consider something with a bigger screen and a dap with open android 11 or above. The screen size is a major drawback if you use it in that scenario. I bought it as a small device to compliment my phone as a DAC and amp for my phone to drive more difficult headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #298 of 605
Hi all, quick question - does SR35 UI allow to browse music by folder structure as I put it? From reviews and youtube vdeos I am slightly worried it only allows to browse by (indexed) Artist, Album, etc.
Thanks!

Jul 21, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #300 of 605
Very happy streaming ROON to the sr35. Would be nice if the ROON theme on the sr35 could also be set to dark instead of plain white :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back