Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Oct 4, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #1,996 of 2,083
I am inexperienced and I know that many of you may be smiling because of the question I am about to ask. Don't shiver, please.
It is possible to install an equalizer in APK like (for example Pro-Q3 by FabFilter) on Kann Alpha A&K.
Sorry again, I await an answer.
Greetings

Oct 4, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #1,997 of 2,083
I am inexperienced and I know that many of you may be smiling because of the question I am about to ask. Don't shiver, please.
It is possible to install an equalizer in APK like (for example Pro-Q3 by FabFilter) on Kann Alpha A&K.
Sorry again, I await an answer.
Greetings

No !!!! Only apps and mostly older versions are allowed by A&K and nothing else.. No Wavelet, No PoweramEQ .. no UAPP, no Neutron ... only a very limited foobar2000 version (with no Hires support).

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #1,999 of 2,083
Thanks for the Feedback.
Yes, metadata is correct. My Volumio network player plays the files correctly. "Normal" albums seem to work but box sets cause problems, e.g. Super Deluxe of Metallica' Black Album, when I press play the album starts with the live concert at Wembley, which is on CD number 4 or so.
I only use the Artist list. Don't have an issue with any out of order titles.

In your case, are they ordered alphabetically? Or is it seemingly random?

You said you've checked metadata. I assume you've made sure the tracks are numbered correctly?
Since apparently only very few have the same problem, I have made a factory reset. That solved the problem with the artist playlist. So if someone should have the same problem, this should solve the correct playback via Artist. What unfortunately still does not work, is the display of an "ä" in the last Rammstein album, there is still garbage characters out.

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #2,000 of 2,083
Any informations about Roon Arc apk for Kann Alpha?
Roon Arc works okay on the Alpha, since the initial release of Arc the performance has been getting better but Arc on Android doesn’t bypass Android’s SRC and downsamples the audio. The developers would probably need to make a screen-optimised version and iron out SRC issues before shipping the APK. The wifi chip on the Alpha also makes streaming less enjoyable as it can be slow at times unless you have your phone nearby as a hotspot to provide full signal strength.

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #2,002 of 2,083
Time to revisit an old issue I had with an earlier Kann Alpha ... Are AK devices nowadays more stable when using wifi streaming to Bluetooth headphones? My experience is a bit outdated here, but last time I tried, it was impossible to use both wireless technologies simultaneously... Any update here?

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #2,003 of 2,083
Time to revisit an old issue I had with an earlier Kann Alpha ... Are AK devices nowadays more stable when using wifi streaming to Bluetooth headphones? My experience is a bit outdated here, but last time I tried, it was impossible to use both wireless technologies simultaneously... Any update here?

I was complaining for more than one year about this very annoying issue ... but with the last firmware, wifi connection became really stable and Bluetooth receiver function too (assuming you disconnect wifi first in BT receiver mode)...
So I would say, after more or less 16 months, the Kann Alpha became what it should have been when it came out and is now 80% usable as Wifi DLNA renderer (limited to Wifi 802.11b) and 100% as BT Receiver !

Only issues left are :
-> obsolete OS which makes impossible the use of advanced Parametric EQ like PowerAQ or Wavelelet, no Neutron player nor Uapp
-> 12v output are falling down very quickly with low impedance Headphones like DCA Stealth or HeDDphone, so there are clipping a lot or there is a lot of distorsion.
-> can drive only very low power demanding external SSD

But the Kann Alpha offers, with easy to drive IEM or Headphones, a convincing sound quality.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #2,004 of 2,083
I was complaining for more than one year about this very annoying issue ... but with the last firmware, wifi connection became really stable and Bluetooth receiver function too (assuming you disconnect wifi first in BT receiver mode)...
So I would say, after more or less 16 months, the Kann Alpha became what it should have been when it came out and is now 80% usable as Wifi DLNA renderer (limited to Wifi 802.11b) and 100% as BT Receiver !

Only issues left are :
-> obsolete OS which makes impossible the use of advanced Parametric EQ like PowerAQ or Wavelelet, no Neutron player nor Uapp
-> 12v output are falling down very quickly with low impedance Headphones like DCA Stealth or HeDDphone, so there are clipping a lot or there is a lot of distorsion.
-> can drive only very low power demanding external SSD

But the Kann Alpha offers, with easy to drive IEM or Headphones, a convincing sound quality.
Thanks. Reason for asking was that I not only use my DAPs with wired headphones but also with wireless headphones. A few firmwares ago Qobuz streaming was near impossible over Bluetooth heapdhones...

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,005 of 2,083
Just do not sell your N8ii 😉. Alternatively, Qobuz to wireless headphones it is simpler to use your mobile phone. Keyboard on Alpha has sooo small buttons.... and slow.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #2,006 of 2,083
Just do not sell your N8ii 😉. Alternatively, Qobuz to wireless headphones it is simpler to use your mobile phone. Keyboard on Alpha has sooo small buttons.... and slow.
Samsung has no APTX HD. So I was pondering over a simple cost effective DAP that has APTX-HD and LDAC for all scenarios. The N8ii is to big to put in my jeans pocket :wink:

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #2,007 of 2,083
I have noticed lately that when I stream audio on my Alpha (using 3.5mm on low gain) with Andro 2020's i can clearly hear radio interference from wifi. When I turn off wifi, the interference goes away.

Admittedly, it's far more audible when at 15 on the volume dial or lower. However, it is still audible at higher volumes as well.

This is something I've never noticed until recently, anyone else noticed this? I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed this before, was this possibly the result of the latest firmware update?

Thanks

Dec 12, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #2,008 of 2,083
I have noticed lately that when I stream audio on my Alpha (using 3.5mm on low gain) with Andro 2020's i can clearly hear radio interference from wifi. When I turn off wifi, the interference goes away.

Admittedly, it's far more audible when at 15 on the volume dial or lower. However, it is still audible at higher volumes as well.

This is something I've never noticed until recently, anyone else noticed this? I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed this before, was this possibly the result of the latest firmware update?

Thanks
You could always get something like an IEMatch to counteract the noise. The 3.5mm output on the ALPHA isn’t very good anyway.

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #2,009 of 2,083
The 3.5mm output on the ALPHA isn’t very good anyway.
Not sure what you base this on. I have not had any issues what so ever with any of my iems or headphones.

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #2,010 of 2,083
Hey everybody,

Does anyone now how to change default background image or default image for when there is no album cover uploaded...My wheels have been spinning for half an hour. i don't see it anywhere in settings...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back