Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 24, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #1,711 of 2,084
My bluetooth is not turned on and I still experience wifi drop outs. I have set the Alpha to sleep after 1 hour, that has not really helped.

Yeah, in general the A&K DAPs have poor wifi performance. Part of that is not supporting AC wifi (2013 standard).

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,714 of 2,084
I see. So it can't really be powering all the way down. I haven't run into that happening yet because I generally use the player once per day and then power it off manually.
That is exactly what I do so it is not a frequent issue. When it happened the other day it powered off in the car and I dident use it that night. The next morning it was dead and unresponsive. I thought it had a catastrophic failure. Had I not plugged it in to the charger and waited at least 45min just for it to start charging I would have thought it dead. Very disconcerting. This also has happened to the sr25 when I had it and my friends sr25. The auto power off definitly is not powering the unit completely down. Luckily it is not a frequent issue for me as I am pretty good at turning off the unit when I am done. I wonder if I should disable auto power off completely?

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #1,715 of 2,084
That is exactly what I do so it is not a frequent issue. When it happened the other day it powered off in the car and I dident use it that night. The next morning it was dead and unresponsive. I thought it had a catastrophic failure. Had I not plugged it in to the charger and waited at least 45min just for it to start charging I would have thought it dead. Very disconcerting. This also has happened to the sr25 when I had it and my friends sr25. The auto power off definitly is not powering the unit completely down. Luckily it is not a frequent issue for me as I am pretty good at turning off the unit when I am done. I wonder if I should disable auto power off completely?
If you disable auto power off then you are in the same boat if you forget to manually power it off so I guess it would be six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm not sure how I have mine set. I think I have it set to shut down after 30 minutes. I'll have to check. Hopefully they can address this with firmware.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,716 of 2,084
I now need a new Dap, I am presently thinking of the Kann Alpha.

I don’t do streaming. I have a lot of music (5,000 albums) and I like that I can use the Apha as a Roon endpoint.

I had the Kann since 2017 but it is presently dead. Battery was weak, screen came loose on the bottom right corner. Put scotch tape on the screen to hold it in place. A spot appeared on the screen and grew to about 2 cm before the Kann died.

If I buy the Alpha Kann I have a 1 TB ScanDisk MicroSDXC Memory Card that I would use. Can you also use the USB socket to run a Sumsung 1TB SSD T7 for music ?

I presently used the Kann DAP outdoors with a Bluetooth speaker and hardwired with a balanced cable to the AUX in my car.

The 192/24 and the DSD 128 playing sounded great when hardwired to Aux with a balanced cable. Except that I got nothing at all on the screen, except the aux picture. A picture of a stereo plug. Would I still get that with the Kann Alpha?

With my phone in Bluetooth mode I usually get an album cover picture, song name, album name and artist. Can Alpha Kann do this?

Also seen on page 105 post #1571 that the Alpha Kann is now discontinued. What is the new model coming out? Does it fix the issues that others have with the Alpha Kann?

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,717 of 2,084
I now need a new Dap, I am presently thinking of the Kann Alpha.

I don’t do streaming. I have a lot of music (5,000 albums) and I like that I can use the Apha as a Roon endpoint.

I had the Kann since 2017 but it is presently dead. Battery was weak, screen came loose on the bottom right corner. Put scotch tape on the screen to hold it in place. A spot appeared on the screen and grew to about 2 cm before the Kann died.

If I buy the Alpha Kann I have a 1 TB ScanDisk MicroSDXC Memory Card that I would use. Can you also use the USB socket to run a Sumsung 1TB SSD T7 for music ?

I presently used the Kann DAP outdoors with a Bluetooth speaker and hardwired with a balanced cable to the AUX in my car.

The 192/24 and the DSD 128 playing sounded great when hardwired to Aux with a balanced cable. Except that I got nothing at all on the screen, except the aux picture. A picture of a stereo plug. Would I still get that with the Kann Alpha?

With my phone in Bluetooth mode I usually get an album cover picture, song name, album name and artist. Can Alpha Kann do this?

Also seen on page 105 post #1571 that the Alpha Kann is now discontinued. What is the new model coming out? Does it fix the issues that others have with the Alpha Kann?
The Kann Alpha is still on sale, as far as I can tell this has not been discontinued

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #1,722 of 2,084
Hello everyone. Who has experience connecting Alpha to a smartphone as a DAC using a usb otg dd hifi cable. For Alpha, the color of the volume wheel indicator does not change, only red always. Included files of different quality 24bit, dsd, no difference.

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #1,723 of 2,084
Usually I use my Smartphone as a Wifi AccessPoint for the Kann Alpha (as there is no BT LDAC input in the Kann Alpha) , and it becomes a DLNA renderer (via AKConnect) for my Android APP (BubbleUpnp, Neutron, UAPP,...), I also used the kann Alpha as DAC with Neutron via USB-C cable (ddfi or xduoo short cable).

Color indicator is only active with native A&K app, but it's working normally for DSD/Hires music for some other app services in the Kann Alpha (DLNA via AK Connect/Qobuz/AmazonHD..) .
You can control the music format with the Toslink output of the Kann Alpha connected to another external DAC (smsl M500 for me) => hires is transmitted correctly.

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,725 of 2,084
Usually I use my Smartphone as a Wifi AccessPoint for the Kann Alpha (as there is no BT LDAC input in the Kann Alpha) , and it becomes a DLNA renderer (via AKConnect) for my Android APP (BubbleUpnp, Neutron, UAPP,...), I also used the kann Alpha as DAC with Neutron via USB-C cable (ddfi or xduoo short cable).

Color indicator is only active with native A&K app, but it's working normally for DSD/Hires music for some other app services in the Kann Alpha (DLNA via AK Connect/Qobuz/AmazonHD..) .
You can control the music format with the Toslink output of the Kann Alpha connected to another external DAC (smsl M500 for me) => hires is transmitted correctly.
Thank you, this is a great clarification. I have bought neutron, but unfortunately it cannot be installed on Alpha. That is why I wanted to use my smartphone as a transport for Alpha via usb dd hifi cable. But Alpha does not respond with the color of the volume control wheel, does this mean that the quality is 24bit or dsd when played on Alpha with this pairing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back