Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jul 22, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #1,441 of 2,084
Thanks, tried this and it looks like it is only outputting 16/44.1 (source file is 24/192) :frowning2:

Also red light remains on, so I assume it it just all 16/44.1 still.

Yes ! ... you should get a 24/192 transfer easily with a flac file played on the Kann Alpha..
I can also get the correct transfer with Qobuz played on Kann Alpha (connected to a SML M500 with toslink)..........

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #1,442 of 2,084
@nanotechnos review of the KANN Alpha is now live on Headfonia!
https://www.headfonia.com/astell-kern-kann-alpha-review/
review-astell-kern-kann-alpha-headfonia-8.jpg

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #1,443 of 2,084
but the non official/sideloaded Tidal app can't play MQA files right? cus I always see the Blue light not Green!
You can find the explanation on this thread, basically the bitrate indicator does not work with streaming services from sideloaded apps.
Page 50
Post #742

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,444 of 2,084
First AK DAP...
Quite a different sound signature from Sony ZX507...smoother mid and a bit treble sparkle than sony..sony a bit better in vocal...
I'm still waiting for Z1r to try its synergy...
20210723_181043.jpg

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,445 of 2,084
Has anyone found a solution to the wifi issues?

The main reasons I chose the Kann was to power my Diana V2 then also use around the house with my 64 audio Trios. I only really use Qobuz and seemingly the player does not work in offline mode.

I sideloaded the apk of Qobuz, but when you download music 'offline' you cannot play it offline, for instance if I download an album and try to play it with wifi turned off, it'll say 'network' unavailable. When you go to play offline music it is still streaming from the player which brings me to my second point, I have 1gb internet set up over google mesh with 5 points over my house, this dap struggles to even get one or two bars no matter where I am (even next to a point) and will not stream 24/192 for longer than 5 seconds without seemingly buffering.

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,446 of 2,084
Has anyone found a solution to the wifi issues?

The main reasons I chose the Kann was to power my Diana V2 then also use around the house with my 64 audio Trios. I only really use Qobuz and seemingly the player does not work in offline mode.

I sideloaded the apk of Qobuz, but when you download music 'offline' you cannot play it offline, for instance if I download an album and try to play it with wifi turned off, it'll say 'network' unavailable. When you go to play offline music it is still streaming from the player which brings me to my second point, I have 1gb internet set up over google mesh with 5 points over my house, this dap struggles to even get one or two bars no matter where I am (even next to a point) and will not stream 24/192 for longer than 5 seconds without seemingly buffering.

:beerchug: welcome to the club !!! we are a lot to struggle with any wifi connection with this obsolete wifi hardware crap of the Kann Alpha.. As soon as you are in a complex wifi environment =>so many issues are coming that it makes the Kann Alpha unusable for many !

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,447 of 2,084
:beerchug: welcome to the club !!! we are a lot to struggle with any wifi connection with this obsolete wifi hardware crap of the Kann Alpha.. As soon as you are in a complex wifi environment =>so many issues are coming that it makes the Kann Alpha unusable for many !
no problem with wifi

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,448 of 2,084
I'm also on my second Kann Alpha, the first one I received had the entire top panel missing. The wholesaler sent me another one. I have two with me right now and they both suffer from the exact same issue. I just did a download speed test, I'm at 850mb, no other device in my house has a single issue streaming hires or 4k content.
PXL_20210720_215747393.jpg

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #1,449 of 2,084
I bought Alpha is not new, I am a second user, because I can not afford to buy a new one. And nevertheless, I do not have a single problem with the Wi-Fi from the purchase. It works fine with a router, no freezes, no playback stops, I have never had it with tidal, Spotify. I also distributed Wi-Fi from my phone, everything is fine.

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,450 of 2,084
I bought Alpha is not new, I am a second user, because I can not afford to buy a new one. And nevertheless, I do not have a single problem with the Wi-Fi from the purchase. It works fine with a router, no freezes, no playback stops, I have never had it with tidal, Spotify. I also distributed Wi-Fi from my phone, everything is fine.
My issue is wifi signal, even sat next to the router and streaming hi-res, are you able to stream Tidal Masters with problems? What's your wifi setup?

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,451 of 2,084
My issue is wifi signal, even sat next to the router and streaming hi-res, are you able to stream Tidal Masters with problems? What's your wifi setup?
What do you think is a Wi-Fi setting, more specifically, please. I have never had any problems listening to tidal in master quality and I do not sit under a Wi-Fi router to listen to my favorite songs.

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #1,452 of 2,084
What do you think is a Wi-Fi setting, more specifically, please. I have never had any problems listening to tidal in master quality and I do not sit under a Wi-Fi router to listen to my favorite songs.
Like is your wifi purely 2.4ghz? I worry that my Google mesh could be the issue, but again I have zero issues streaming hires from my phone, Mac, Naim Streamer etc.

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #1,453 of 2,084
no problem with wifi
You're lucky .... because we are so many to have wifi issues, that's I recommend you to enjoy your time with it.....
I am just waiting the Fiio M17 to be available .. and I will quit without any regret A&K though I bought also the A&K CD Ripper which can't be used with other DAPs.... but never A&K again for me.

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,454 of 2,084
You're lucky .... because we are so many to have wifi issues, that's I recommend you to enjoy your time with it.....
I am just waiting the Fiio M17 to be available .. and I will quit without any regret A&K though I bought also the A&K CD Ripper which can't be used with other DAPs.... but never A&K again for me.

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,455 of 2,084
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back