Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Feb 8, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #1,036 of 2,082
I already did it twice and reinstalled Qobuz and DsAudio.. But AK Connect when I access my upnp server still drops every 15 minutes whatever I choose for sleep mode,
And if AK Connect is "active" then Wifi drops every 15 minutes for Qobuz and DSAudio too ! when AK Connect is not active .. wifi doesn't cut at all.

I will do it once more to be sure to do the first "soft reset" !!! as I can't remember if I did it just before the system reset without doing anything else.

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #1,037 of 2,082
50 minutes later ..
I did the soft reset + setting reset + my wifi mesh reboot ..
No change with AK connect and already 3 cuts and every time that I push the on/off button after the cut, I can see AK connect is connecting again and I have the all path to redo to reach again the music on my NAS I was listening.
I tried with sleep mode activated and sleep mode deactivated => no effect.

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,038 of 2,082
50 minutes later ..
I did the soft reset + setting reset + my wifi mesh reboot ..
No change with AK connect and already 3 cuts and every time that I push the on/off button after the cut, I can see AK connect is connecting again and I have the all path to redo to reach again the music on my NAS I was listening.
I tried with sleep mode activated and sleep mode deactivated => no effect.
I did pass on your issues to our dev team earlier. I will reach out to them tonight my time when they are back in the office to follow up.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 8, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #1,039 of 2,082
I reported the same issue already a couple of weeks back, so have others....
Agreed that this seems to take a lot of time to fix......

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,040 of 2,082
It sucks that so many people are having issues with the product. I've been using it for at least 2-3 hours a day, for the past 2 weeks or so and feel like I've dodged a bullet and don't have the WiFi drop, Tidal log in or song skipping issues (maybe like 5 times in the 2 weeks). I hope we get a firmware update soon that fixes all of this and doesn't break anything new. Meanwhile, I got my Dignis case delivered today, so here are some pictures!

Attachments

• IMG-2624.jpg
    IMG-2624.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-2626.jpg
    IMG-2626.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-2627.jpg
    IMG-2627.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #1,041 of 2,082
It sucks that so many people are having issues with the product. I've been using it for at least 2-3 hours a day, for the past 2 weeks or so and feel like I've dodged a bullet and don't have the WiFi drop, Tidal log in or song skipping issues (maybe like 5 times in the 2 weeks). I hope we get a firmware update soon that fixes all of this and doesn't break anything new. Meanwhile, I got my Dignis case delivered today, so here are some pictures!

Do you use AK Connect to access some Upnp server ?
Because if AK Connect is not active, then there are no WIFI cuts .. so Kann Alpha is Ok with Qobuz for me as it is for Tidal too.. but there no possibility to access Upnp servers.

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,042 of 2,082
Do you use AK Connect to access some Upnp server ?
Because if AK Connect is not active, then there are no WIFI cuts .. so Kann Alpha is Ok with Qobuz for me as it is for Tidal too.. but there no possibility to access Upnp servers.

No I haven't used AK Connect yet. I am still building / re-gathering my hi-res library so it's mostly direct from the player or streaming via Tidal at the moment. Of course I would very much like to use the feature in the future and am hoping that AK fix it.

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,043 of 2,082
Hey everyone o/

I just received this DAP yesterday, and it seems to be plagued with issues. This is my first DAP, so I imagine I'm just doing things wrong. I purchased it on Amazon via WorldWideAudio.

So far I've really only gotten to use it in the car and with my bluetooth headphones, as I am waiting on a 4.4mm cable for my Utopia. All connections are happening via AAC, even with my 2021 Toyota Venza and my Sony WF-1000XM3 bluetooth buds. No changing of the codecs would fix this.

Next, I am able to get wifi off of my phone when I create a hotspot, but I'm not able to get wifi off my ABGN wireless router broadcasting at 2.4 GHz. I tried changing the channel multiple times and it cannot seem to connect. I added the SSID manually and still nothing.

When connected to my car via bluetooth, no track information is appearing. I can go forward and backward as well as pause/play, but I have no track information in the infotainment display.

The touch screen is also finicky, as I was messing around with Tidal yesterday. Inputs seem laggy, and even pressing certain areas seems to completely reject keypresses (notably the back area in the upper right, as well as the text field to search for artists/songs).

Also, during play, tracks seem to be advancing and/or going backwards on their own without user input.

This is all pretty frustrating. I updated the device over my phone's hotspot as soon as I got it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #1,044 of 2,082
Quick update on the wi-fi dropout issues.

Our dev and QA teams in Korea tested 20 players with different wi-fi access points - in the office, at home and using public wi-fi spots and were unable to duplicate the drop-out issues. We have tested two players here in the US and also have not been able to replicate the issues. As of 8:36 am ET, there have been no reports in North America or Asia regarding wi-fi dropouts that are described here as confirmed by our HQ team and our North America support.

Looking at the previous posts, it looks like most of you having issues are located in the UK/EU, is that correct? Anyone outside of Europe having the same issue? As all countries except China use the "CM" firmware, if it is just happening in a specific region and not others using the same firmware version, most likely may be a hardware issue with a few select players. I have a team call late tonight my time to discuss the issue and troubleshoot. II will share additional information in the morning Pacific time and next steps.

I will post updates here in the thread, but if you would like me to personally follow up with you via PM, please send me a message and if you could please include what country you are located in. Thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 9, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,045 of 2,082

Our dev and QA teams in Korea tested 20 players with different wi-fi access points - in the office, at home and using public wi-fi spots and were unable to duplicate the drop-out issues. We have tested two players here in the US and also have not been able to replicate the issues. As of 8:36 am ET, there have been no reports in North America or Asia regarding wi-fi dropouts that are described here as confirmed by our HQ team and our North America support.

Looking at the previous posts, it looks like most of you having issues are located in the UK/EU, is that correct? Anyone outside of Europe having the same issue? As all countries except China use the "CM" firmware, if it is just happening in a specific region and not others using the same firmware version, most likely may be a hardware issue with a few select players. I have a team call late tonight my time to discuss the issue and troubleshoot. II will share additional information in the morning Pacific time and next steps.

I will post updates here in the thread, but if you would like me to personally follow up with you via PM, please send me a message and if you could please include what country you are located in. Thank you.
Hello, I am in Spain, Balearic Islands, as proof I have changed the Wi-Fi channels of my router with no luck, the problem I have is that every 15 minutes I have to restart both Qobuz and Tidal, ak coonect is disconnected, even if I have it connected or disconnected does the same.
I hope they solve it

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,046 of 2,082
That case looks great, I'm going to get it. What cables are those on your 660s's? How do they sound compared to the stock sennheiser cable?

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,047 of 2,082

I am in Oregon, US.

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,048 of 2,082
I am in Oregon, US.
@Siigari saw your post above. I haven't had a chance to respond yet, but will soon. The issues you are having look to be unrelated to the issue I posted about. Give me a bit please and I will get back to you on your issues. I forwarded your issues to our US support team and will combine my responses with theirs.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,049 of 2,082
I bought where I could find it ... on Aliexpress "Iriver Official Store" and I am using it in France
The issue is not concerned with internet, as the wifi drops comes with accessing a synology DS Audio in my home through AK Connect without any internet access.

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,050 of 2,082
Hello guys. Originally I posted this on the Kann thread… but now I’m more interested to the Alpha.

I plan to use Kann Alpha to remotely access the library on the Logitech Media Server on the Raspberry Picoreplayer system for streaming my previously ripped (and tagged) Flac… powering a Sennheiser HD650.
Will I get a pleasant browsing among the files with “album cover, search by genre, etc” directly from the Alpha? Or will I get a boring “folder” browsing?
Do you know any alternative solutions I could consider?

Thanks so much for patiently reading and posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back