Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Dec 3, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #631 of 2,083
Hello good morning.

Probably i will buy my first AK Alpha. But i have some questions:
Tidal app can play videos?
Can i see youtube videos?

I hva the Audeze LC2-C, I need to change the cable, Is it beter to change to 2.5mm or 4.4mm?

Keep it safe, togheter we can have nice weekend.

Thank u

Yes on both answers. :)
Plaied Tidal videos with no worries, and also Youtube via the bundled software called V-Link :)

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #632 of 2,083
New to this thread. Few positives and negatives
Positives (which made me buy this DAP)
1. Volume knob
2. 4.4mm plug

Negatives
1. I wish I could delete folders from the player without having to plug it to a computer
2. Apps. For the life of me I can't figure out how to install apps other than Amazon Music. I did everything as per instructions and still nothing. Other than Amazon Music (which cuts off more than I want) I can't install anything. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Kann2.jpg

All apps are in the services folder but only Amazon can be installed.

IMG_7911.jpg

3. The equalizer/Sound. The sound is good right out of the box but I want more.
To match the default sound (without Equalizer ON) all sliders have to be at the top. It is impossible to add more lows because the slides don't go anywhere but down.
IMG_7912.jpg

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Amazon Music has it's own equalizer with only a few basic bands and I really love the output. Is there a way to use that for the player when I play my own stored music?

I appreciate any ideas

Edit: One more thing. Is there any way to play the files I downloaded from Amazon Music without being connected to the internet?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #633 of 2,083
New to this thread. Few positives and negatives
Positives (which made me buy this DAP)
1. Volume knob
2. 4.4mm plug

Negatives
1. I wish I could delete folders from the player without having to plug it to a computer
2. Apps. For the life of me I can't figure out how to install apps other than Amazon Music. I did everything as per instructions and still nothing. Other than Amazon Music (which cuts off more than I want) I can't install anything. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Kann2.jpg
All apps are in the services folder but only Amazon can be installed.

IMG_7911.jpg

To match the default sound (without Equalizer ON) all sliders have to be at the top. It is impossible to add more lows because the slides don't go anywhere but down.
IMG_7912.jpg

Amazon Music has it's own equalizer with only a few basic bands and I really love the output. Is there a way to use that for the player when I play my own stored music?

I appreciate any ideas

Edit: One more thing. Is there any way to play the files I downloaded from Amazon Music without being connected to the internet?

For #2...please see my posts on page 41 and 42 of this thread. I had the same issue and with a little help from JasonNYC, I was able
To get more than Amazon installed.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #635 of 2,083
I just posted my experiences yesterday as I fought it for a few days before sorting it.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #636 of 2,083
I just posted my experiences yesterday as I fought it for a few days before sorting it.
Thanks for trying to help but I give up. Even if I manage to install a few apps it won’t be enough to compensate for the crappy equalizer. I feel like I’m wasting my TIA Fourte on this player.
It goes back tomorrow.
ill visit this thread once in a while to see if a software update fixes the EQ feature.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #637 of 2,083

Is it a screenshot the equalizer of the Kann Alpha ?
The day before yesterday JasonNYC answered me it was a PEQ !!! but this picture looks like a very limited GEC .. which is not the same story at all ...:point_down:

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #638 of 2,083
After one week of toying with Alpha, the conclusion I have made is that its basic SQ is very very good but definitely not for different IEMs and headphones. The EQ is HORRIBLE and less than basic. Just an eyewash kind of component.
The DAP is very classy and aesthetically it's very impressive. How sad the EQ is so poor.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #639 of 2,083
Is it a screenshot the equalizer of the Kann Alpha ?
The day before yesterday JasonNYC answered me it was a PEQ !!! but this picture looks like a very limited GEC .. which is not the same story at all ...:point_down:

There are two different EQ, the advanced Is PEQ. Please refer to page 57 of the manual.

EQ.PNG

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #640 of 2,083
There are two different EQ, the advanced Is PEQ. Please refer to page 57 of the manual.

EQ.PNG

Thank you, it's a very good news ... as I need definitely some PEQ with most of my Headphones and IEM to fully enjoy those for music.
I was a bit anxious after this screenshot, it looked really weird to my eyes after my recent order of a Kann Alpha.

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #641 of 2,083
Thank you, it's a very good news ... as I need definitely some PEQ with most of my Headphones and IEM to fully enjoy those for music.
I was a bit anxious after this screenshot, it looked really weird to my eyes after my recent order of a Kann Alpha.

I believe it is pretty much complete, historically I was not that "aware" about EQ but I have to admit it does really change the game.
Btw, it has to be noted that when you create an EQ profile, a .DAT file is stored locally on the Kann Alpha: an interesting "experiment" would be imho to import a .DAT profile elaborated from other DAPs and see if it can be imported and used.
@JasonNYC do you think this would work? It would be nice then to create/exchange profiles (maybe I am discovering the wheel, but don't see that much such kind of "activity"). Plus if the .DAT format within is "universal", I guess you could do some EQ in other applications and then import the profile on the DAP?

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #644 of 2,083
Just ordered mine to drive BEyerDynamic DT1990 and 1770, because I thhought SR25 could not do that without an amp...looking forward to it!

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #645 of 2,083
Just ordered mine to drive BEyerDynamic DT1990 and 1770, because I thhought SR25 could not do that without an amp...looking forward to it!

For sure It'll do... I could drive an old pair of AKG260 @600 ohm with ease... :)
p.s. as I wrote earlier on I am selling mine (see my signature for details) but maybe people doesn't check in the listed ads because it is such a new player :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back