Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #316 of 2,082
Well, let me put it this way:

At $999 without a case, you are not happy.
At $1149 with the case, you would be happy?

I've seen some people not wanting to use cases with their DAPs, their reasons their own since I prefer a case myself. So I guess it's only fair that you buy the accessories you really want separately. I mean, they don't include stuff for free, when they bundle up accessories with something, you pay for it. At least they make one you can buy, a lot of DAP owners have to rely on aftermarket brands for a case... Sony, I'm pointing at you!

I've seen a new DAP release that comes with a bright yellow case. Facepalm is all that comes to mind...

Seems to me that they just removed the cases in all sub $2000 devices to have better margins and sell more accessories ... :darthsmile:
Before I was happy paying less then $900 for an AK300 and having a case :wink:

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #318 of 2,082
Tend agree, simply comes over as being cheap not to include a decent case with a four figure DAP, thought exactly the same with my WM1A. Even the likes of the SR25 should have a silicon case in the box. The manufacture's can source for far less than the average consumer, I agree it's more likely about margin and driving the sales of a accessories...

Q-6

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #319 of 2,082
I think it was a waste to include a leather case with the AK players because most of these leather cases are swapped out by more fancier cases from DIGNIS or maybe people had a different preference of colors when it came to their cases.

I do second the idea that AK should at least provide a quality silicone or plastic clear case to go with newly purchased AK players.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #323 of 2,082
SQ, only,,,what is early consensus compared to other daps,,, sq only ?????? If you owned them or heard them
SQ only

m15, n6ii, Kann cube, sr25,, etc,

thx

I'm very, very happy with the Kann Alpha. You can't be wrong. Buy this. I can't imagine a portable device that sounds better than Kann Alpha. It's also tremendously versatile. With this you don't need DAC, amplifier, or computer. You can plug in 98% of the headset on the market. Wifi connectivity is very good (better than what you read out there about Cube or Sr25). And the interface is quite fluid, as much as any mobile phone from 3 years ago. It destroys the quality of my previous equipment on the go (LGV30) for light years.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #324 of 2,082
SQ, only,,,what is early consensus compared to other daps,,, sq only ??????

I haven't heard any other daps, but I can say it crushes the old iphone 6 I was listening to before. LOL

But seriously, it actually beats the two desktop amp/dacs that I've listened to as well (Audeze Deckard, and the $5k Mcintosh MHA150)

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #325 of 2,082
I'm very, very happy with the Kann Alpha. You can't be wrong. Buy this. I can't imagine a portable device that sounds better than Kann Alpha. It's also tremendously versatile. With this you don't need DAC, amplifier, or computer. You can plug in 98% of the headset on the market. Wifi connectivity is very good (better than what you read out there about Cube or Sr25). And the interface is quite fluid, as much as any mobile phone from 3 years ago. It destroys the quality of my previous equipment on the go (LGV30) for light years.

SR25 makes compromises to attain it's long battery life WiFi being one of them, however SQ isn't compromised. Planning to have good look at the Kann Alpha once I can demo one locally. So far hear a lot of good words :)

Q-6

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #326 of 2,082
SR25 makes compromises to attain it's long battery life WiFi being one of them, however SQ isn't compromised. Planning to have good look at the Kann Alpha once I can demo one locally. So far hear a lot of good words :)

Q-6

I'm seeing is your signature that you have Dunu DK-3001pro... When you show, plug these in low gain balance. You're going to hallucinate and you're not going to be able to avoid buying Kann Alpha. :ksc75smile:

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #327 of 2,082
Aloha all,

New member here and just purchased the Alpha and love the SQ which pairs well with MDR-Z1R, Ether CX, HD800S, and IER-Z1r.

Am in the process of setting it up and am having a login issue with the native Tidal app that came preinstalled.

I used Tidal on my iPhone 11 and it uses my AppleID login and password since that's how I pay my Tidal membership. The native Tidal app doesn't offer login via AppleID, and when I try to use the same credentials it says my password in incorrect, and I know it's not. Anyone else have this issue? And if so how did you resolve it?

thanks,
R

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #328 of 2,082
Kann Alpha's battery (low gain-balanced-from the sd-screen card off- LED volume knob off) spends about 5% on an hour-long album. In this mode it does not heat up at all, so it could give more than the 14 hours that A&K specifies for this model...

Edit: This is playing Flac files 44/16 to 900Kbps... surely in 24/96/192 or DSD consume more by heating.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #329 of 2,082
Aloha all,

New member here and just purchased the Alpha and love the SQ which pairs well with MDR-Z1R, Ether CX, HD800S, and IER-Z1r.

Am in the process of setting it up and am having a login issue with the native Tidal app that came preinstalled.

I used Tidal on my iPhone 11 and it uses my AppleID login and password since that's how I pay my Tidal membership. The native Tidal app doesn't offer login via AppleID, and when I try to use the same credentials it says my password in incorrect, and I know it's not. Anyone else have this issue? And if so how did you resolve it?

thanks,
R

But there will be an email associated with your Tidal account... isn't it? In that case enter the email in the native tidal app and your password...

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #330 of 2,082
I'm seeing is your signature that you have Dunu DK-3001pro... When you show, plug these in low gain balance. You're going to hallucinate and you're not going to be able to avoid buying Kann Alpha. :ksc75smile:

The Dunu DK 3001 Pro are very underestimated and a solid choice for for those seeking a musical IEM. The Alpha I'll see soon enough, have Sony WM1A, A&K SR25 (128) and Hifiman R2R2000 (Multibit DAC, truly natural reproduction). The Sony being the chameleon, thx to the community and custom firmware that can now emulate WM1Z and just recently DMP-Z1.

I've recently tried A&K SA700, SE200, SR25 (bought), Kann Cube, just waiting on the Kann Alpha. If the ESS DAC's are tuned similar to the Cube the Alpha will likely be a solid buy, if similar to the SE200 ESS DAC's maybe not so much. SR25 impressed as aside it's feature set, significant battery life, the DAP presents the music very smooth, detailed & balanced...

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back