Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Sep 24, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #1,561 of 2,084
So far my impressions of the different DAC filers are-
linear phase fast roll-off(default): fast clean bass smooth mids and a inoffensive yet extended and detailed top end. It sounds infatuating

Minimum phase slow roll-off: this is hell. You don’t realise it, everything feels alright-ish at first, you might even think you prefer this to the other filters and stop switching between. I was like a frog in slowly heating up boiler, almost regretted the purchase of the kann thinking THIS was the best filter for my preferences according to the descriptions on the AK website. The sub bass dies. The mids become hollow and upper mids become harsh. Treble is….weird. This is the bad place.

Hybrid Fast Roll-Off: THIS. This is what I had been searching for. This sounded the closest to a more NOS sound out of all three. Beautiful expressive bass with good impact at the expense of very very mild bloom (which I prefer actually). Exquisite liquid mids. Smoothest treble that is still retaining almost all if not all of the Linear Phase Fast Roll off filter. This is love. Not the kind at first sight, but the more gradual type. You don’t notice it at first but before you know it you’re in way too deep. THIS IS LOVE.

Thanks for reading 🌺

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,562 of 2,084
@JasonNYC

(Important) Update

I seem to have solved the problem with the SR25.

This is after I tried using my iPhone XR as a hotspot which worked flawlessly.

Accordingly, I asked for my Kann Alpha to be returned to me — I’ll let you know once it’s back and the tests have been carried out on my unit.

In the meantime…

To make matters clear yet simple, here’s my wifi configuration:

- Router (emits wifi network « A ») in room 1
- WiFi powerline extension connected to router via RJ45, also in room 1
- Wifi repeater using powerline (emits wifi network « B ») in room 2

I mainly listen to music in Room 2 via wifi network B but I was faced with the same issue in both rooms and on both networks.

Now, the wifi powerline extension has a power-saver feature (very badly translated in English in the menus, hence why I didn’t test it earlier)… after I turned it OFF, I now stream song after song with no issue on the SR25.

However… this doesn’t explain two things:

1. Why did I also experience the cuts in room 1 and network A… perhaps there’s also a power-saver feature on the main router… gotta check;

2. Why the only devices I own which can’t cope with the power-saver features are A&K DAPs… no idea. The point is that it’s an issue I only was confronted to with my A&K DAPs — again, why, idk 🤷🏼‍♂️ .

Right, so after I requested my old unit back, I received a replacement unit 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Before I comment next on the tests I've been carrying on the new unit, I have an important question to those of you who experienced the wifi cuts / drops.

After "unlocking" the Kann Alpha realising that you experienced a wifi cut / drop, what did the wifi logo on the top-right show, and for any of your answers, what did the streaming app you were using showed in terms of error/warning message — e.g. on Tidal, "There was an network error / There was a connection problem" — if any:
  • A wifi logo with the number of bars conveying the Kann Alpha's signal strength?
  • An empty wifi logo conveying that the Kann Alpha's wifi's ON but not connected?
  • At first, an empty wifi logo conveying that the wifi's ON but not connected quickly followed by the number of bars representing the wifi signal strength?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #1,563 of 2,084
Right, so after I requested my old unit back, I received a replacement unit 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Before I comment next on the tests I've been carrying on the new unit, I have an important question to those of you who experienced the wifi cuts / drops.

After "unlocking" the Kann Alpha realising that you experienced a wifi cut / drop, what did the wifi logo on the top-right show, and for any of your answers, what did the streaming app you were using showed in terms of error/warning message — e.g. on Tidal, "There was an network error / There was a connection problem" — if any:
  • A wifi logo with the number of bars conveying the Kann Alpha's signal strength?
  • An empty wifi logo conveying that the Kann Alpha's wifi's ON but not connected?
  • At first, an empty wifi logo conveying that the wifi's ON but not connected quickly followed by the number of bars representing the wifi signal strength?

Alright, so I can unfortunately confirm that the new unit I got as a replacement is worse than the one I returned.

The below has been tested on the latest firmware update and A&K's recommended Tidal app, sideloaded.

Edit: new unit faces the same issues with the embedded Tidal app.

Edit 2: same problems with Qobuz.

I'll make the following distinctions in order to be clear:
  • By "wifi drop" I mean that the music being streamed stops playing, I turn the screen on, tell Tidal to "Retry" and it picks up where it left off.
    In these instances the wifi logo might or might not be empty and, if empty, the wifi seems to promptly reconnect as within split seconds, the wifi logo indicates the signal strength.
  • By "wifi cuts" I mean that the music being streamed stops playing, I turn the screen on and cannot tell Tidal to "Retry" as the wifi is, in fact, disconnected and the wifi logo is empty.
    In order to have the wifi work again, I have to go to the settings, turn it off and on and choose the wifi network.
My first unit had wifi drops.

My new unit has wifi drops and cuts.

The only way I get no wifi issues is using my iPhone XR as a hotspot.

Otherwise, all wifi configration I tried, including being in the same room as the router and having a direct connection to it with no other devices in the house active, the Kann Alpha still faces drops (and cuts with the new unit).

Edit 3: I tested with different ciphers/encryption WPA, WPA/WPA2, WAP2. Cuts/drops persist.

Our dev team is still doing additional testing on the issue. As soon as I have an update to share, I will.

@JasonNYC I know you're very busy, answer many different A&K threads here and I actually support you a great deal as your job isn't easy, especially with a sometimes disgruntled crowd.

With that said, I cannot shake the feeling that A&K's silence on the matter is, frankly, deafening.

Would you have any update on an upcoming firmware update tackling this issue?

Are there any formal communication on the matter planned? Any recalls?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. It still sounds stellar though... :cry:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #1,564 of 2,084
Alright, so I can unfortunately confirm that the new unit I got as a replacement is worse than the one I returned.
:cry:

:beyersmile: :beyersmile: :beyersmile: :beyersmile: I bought 2 .. one with Chinese Firmware, one with European Firmware ... both have drops and cuts (dlna and Qobuz) I can's say one is worse, but both are unusable for streaming.

Nearly one year I bought the Chinese version and 8 months I bought the European version (returned it within a month to the french dealer).

I am wondering why A&K developers are the only one in this market that can't fix such wifi feature with a common android base.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,565 of 2,084
I think most wifi issues are router based. Although I do feel the antenna or wifi chip in the AK is not as capable as those in Apple devices for instance. I am very happy that the wifi connection my KA is superior to my SP1000 but still far behind my iPod Touch for instance. As the AK devices are 2.4 only one could provide an access point with 2.4 only activated and get better connection.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #1,566 of 2,084
I think most wifi issues are router based. Although I do feel the antenna or wifi chip in the AK is not as capable as those in Apple devices for instance. I am very happy that the wifi connection my KA is superior to my SP1000 but still far behind my iPod Touch for instance. As the AK devices are 2.4 only one could provide an access point with 2.4 only activated and get better connection.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried this to no avail -- i.e. setting up a dedicated 2.4 wifi network did not resolve the drop/cuts.

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #1,567 of 2,084
Thanks for your feedback.

I tried this to no avail -- i.e. setting up a dedicated 2.4 wifi network did not resolve the drop/cuts.

I tried also to create a 100% 2.4Gh wifi or 2.4Ghz Wifi extenders with no success. The only way I could find, was to use an android smartphone as an accesspoint (mode 2.4Ghz) connected to my wifi 6 router => than no cuts or drops.

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,568 of 2,084

The below has been tested on the latest firmware update and A&K's recommended Tidal app, sideloaded.

• By "wifi drop" I mean that the music being streamed stops playing, I turn the screen on, tell Tidal to "Retry" and it picks up where it left off.
    In these instances the wifi logo might or might not be empty and, if empty, the wifi seems to promptly reconnect as within split seconds, the wifi logo indicates the signal strength.
  • By "wifi cuts" I mean that the music being streamed stops playing, I turn the screen on and cannot tell Tidal to "Retry" as the wifi is, in fact, disconnected and the wifi logo is empty.
    In order to have the wifi work again, I have to go to the settings, turn it off and on and choose the wifi network.

Otherwise, all wifi configration I tried, including being in the same room as the router and having a direct connection to it with no other devices in the house active, the Kann Alpha still faces drops (and cuts with the new unit).

@JasonNYC I know you're very busy, answer many different A&K threads here and I actually support you a great deal as your job isn't easy, especially with a sometimes disgruntled crowd.

With that said, I cannot shake the feeling that A&K's silence on the matter is, frankly, deafening.

Thanks in advance.

Additional information after researching the thread:

Looking at the previous posts, it looks like most of you having issues are located in the UK/EU, is that correct?

Yes, that's correct in my case.

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #1,569 of 2,084
I am in EU too ... and I definitely can't use the Kann Alpha for any of the streaming features with most routers and extenders I tried. And I have no issue at all with many others DAPs I owned or still own Fiio, Hiby, Shanling, Samsung, Apple, .... I definitely can use for years any routers, wifi access point, extenders without any trouble.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #1,570 of 2,084

Edit 2: same problems with Qobuz.

Edit 3: I tested with different ciphers/encryption WPA, WPA/WPA2, WAP2. Cuts/drops persist.

Thanks in advance.

3rd unit on its way...

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,571 of 2,084
Guys - hope you can help here. I'm the owner of Kann Cube and like it so much - to the extent that wanted to upgrade to somewhat more portable Kann Alpha model. I'm now told by distributors that Alpha is now discontinued what is really surprising, considering it was released only 1 year ago....is there any reason for it. Is there any other alternative which can drive power hungry headphones? Maybe another new model is coming within the Kann range? @JasonNYC

Tks!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #1,572 of 2,084
Guys - hope you can help here. I'm the owner of Kann Cube and like it so much - to the extent that wanted to upgrade to somewhat more portable Kann Alpha model. I'm now told by distributors that Alpha is now discontinued what is really surprising, considering it was released only 1 year ago....is there any reason for it. Is there any other alternative which can drive power hungry headphones? Maybe another new model is coming within the Kann range?

Tks!
Just got my KA and find it to be a great dac. I am surprised it is discontinued.

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,573 of 2,084
Just got my KA and find it to be a great dac. I am surprised it is discontinued.
Same here. Have had the KA for a few months now and love it each time I use it. Only issue I’ve experienced is with the wireless connection when I’m sitting on the deck but inside it is solid.

Oct 8, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,574 of 2,084
Guys - hope you can help here. I'm the owner of Kann Cube and like it so much - to the extent that wanted to upgrade to somewhat more portable Kann Alpha model. I'm now told by distributors that Alpha is now discontinued what is really surprising, considering it was released only 1 year ago....is there any reason for it. Is there any other alternative which can drive power hungry headphones? Maybe another new model is coming within the Kann range? @JasonNYC

Tks!

I would say many reasons that in less than one year to stop it...as it's a real pain to use for any streaming matters.

Basically, it's a pity as I liked the sound, the interface and the form factor (compact and easy to carry with some good power available)... but no BT DAC and a real disaster with any wifi features (totally obsolete hardware)
I won't trust A&K anymore.. Though, I still hoped they would manage to fix all those wifi drops and cuts.

Oct 8, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #1,575 of 2,084
I would say many reasons that in less than one year to stop it...as it's a real pain to use for any streaming matters.

Basically, it's a pity as I liked the sound, the interface and the form factor (compact and easy to carry with some good power available)... but no BT DAC and a real disaster with any wifi features (totally obsolete hardware)
I won't trust A&K anymore.. Though, I still hoped they would manage to fix all those wifi drops and cuts.
Yeah...you would normally expect one year is enough to patch all these issues through firmware upgrades, but well... Any recommendation on any other comparable DAP that can drive power hungry cans? I currently own Kann Cube and happy with it overall, however would not mind an upgrade, specially if there is somewhat more compact DAP on the market that doesn't exceed 2k pricepoint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back