Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Sep 16, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,546 of 2,084
Really all who write you defective devices. My Alpha is second-hand and I don't have such problems. tidal, apple music, Spotify hassle-free. Home wi-fi works, does not fall off, the router is set to 2.4 GHz. I distribute from the phone perfectly. The only thing I don't like is that you need to turn off the player completely, otherwise the battery is quickly discharged. And the sad thing is that you cannot install any application, only from the white list. The player is great, the sound is great, there is no noise with CA Solaris, I get high. I also really want to order sash tres headphones from Sasha from Kharkov. I sincerely regret guys that you have such problems with your alphas.
Aside from the wifi connectivity issues, it's indeed an amazing player.

Sep 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,548 of 2,084
Hi @JasonNYC

I just received my new Kann Alpha (own SP1000 also). I am unable to login to the embedded Tidal app. It comes up with a login warning and then just a blank screen. Where do I enter my credentials. I have sideloaded the apk service and it works fine. I prefer the embedded app as it gives better MQA info for the track playing.

Thanks

Sep 16, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,549 of 2,084
Hi @JasonNYC

I just received my new Kann Alpha (own SP1000 also). I am unable to login to the embedded Tidal app. It comes up with a login warning and then just a blank screen. Where do I enter my credentials. I have sideloaded the apk service and it works fine. I prefer the embedded app as it gives better MQA info for the track playing.

Thanks
What firmware version is it running?

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 16, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #1,550 of 2,084
1.20CM. I tried opening Deezer (no license) and then went back to Tidal. It went a bit further and asked to prove I’m no a robot. Crashed before confirming. I am going to try a different wifi source later.

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,551 of 2,084
Hi Jason. I tethered to my phone and was able to get online to Tidal embedded. Once I reconnected to the mesh all is well. May help others with a mesh system. Thanks for your quick reply.

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #1,552 of 2,084
Small update after some further testing.

Wifi drops every 5 minutes, right on the money.

If I deactivate the mesh on my wifi network, the connection drops every 15 minutes, right on the money.

If I set up my wifi network to 2.4 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz + 5 GHz, same problem, the connection drops every 15 minutes.

---

@JasonNYC I hope the above might help troubleshoot this issue on A&K's side.

In the meantime, I'll be returning my unit in order to get a new one, hoping the new unit won't be affected by this problem but I fear it is wishful thinking.

While I don't mind that the Kann Alpha's is 2.4 Ghz only, the fact that such a modern product shows connectivity issues is obviously not acceptable for such a premium brand and product and I sincerely hope A&K will formally communicate and address this issue as it is otherwise, a very, very, good DAP.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

@JasonNYC

Another update.

I have the same issues with the SR25 I'm testing since the Kann Alpha has been sent back.

I also tried Apple Music lossless and the connection drops after a while. Spotify in low quality, however, seems to last longer.

There seem to be a bandwidth / buffer / issue. I don't face any such issues with my smartphone or laptop however.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #1,553 of 2,084
@JasonNYC

Another update.

I have the same issues with the SR25 I'm testing since the Kann Alpha has been sent back.

I also tried Apple Music lossless and the connection drops after a while. Spotify in low quality, however, seems to last longer.

There seem to be a bandwidth / buffer / issue. I don't face any such issues with my smartphone or laptop however.
Correct. Been in the IT industry for over 15 years. It’s not an issue with anyone’s network connection. This is a software issue with how the device handles playing the audio file over the air. (In a nut shell)

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #1,554 of 2,084
As I can see on Google playstore, A&K has also these issues with AKConnect 2.0 for smartphone.... not for everyone but a lot of users have drops...
I even don't know if A&K connect 2.0 is compatible with Kann Alpha.. maybe I should try to install it as services to get at least a more stable dlna rendering.

I still have the Kann Alpha on a shelf in my home, and it's the less usable DAP I owned for decades. It's like a model of industrial "Fail".

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #1,555 of 2,084
I’ve been usin the ka for about 8 hours. Compared to my sp1000 it not as lush but a most enjoyable signature with great bass transient attack. The wifi maintains connection better and at lower signal levels. The weight is much better. Wish it came with case but I won’t search one out. My best pairing is with 64Audio Tia Fourte. It’s connection to my MBP (non m1) is more stable. Today I will try with HD800s to test it’s hp driving ability.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,556 of 2,084
@JasonNYC

Another update.

@JasonNYC

(Important) Update

I seem to have solved the problem with the SR25.

This is after I tried using my iPhone XR as a hotspot which worked flawlessly.

Accordingly, I asked for my Kann Alpha to be returned to me — I’ll let you know once it’s back and the tests have been carried out on my unit.

In the meantime…

To make matters clear yet simple, here’s my wifi configuration:

- Router (emits wifi network « A ») in room 1
- WiFi powerline extension connected to router via RJ45, also in room 1
- Wifi repeater using powerline (emits wifi network « B ») in room 2

I mainly listen to music in Room 2 via wifi network B but I was faced with the same issue in both rooms and on both networks.

Now, the wifi powerline extension has a power-saver feature (very badly translated in English in the menus, hence why I didn’t test it earlier)… after I turned it OFF, I now stream song after song with no issue on the SR25.

However… this doesn’t explain two things:

1. Why did I also experience the cuts in room 1 and network A… perhaps there’s also a power-saver feature on the main router… gotta check;

2. Why the only devices I own which can’t cope with the power-saver features are A&K DAPs… no idea. The point is that it’s an issue I only was confronted to with my A&K DAPs — again, why, idk 🤷🏼‍♂️ .

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #1,557 of 2,084
I’ve been usin the ka for about 8 hours. Compared to my sp1000 it not as lush but a most enjoyable signature with great bass transient attack. The wifi maintains connection better and at lower signal levels. The weight is much better. Wish it came with case but I won’t search one out. My best pairing is with 64Audio Tia Fourte. It’s connection to my MBP (non m1) is more stable. Today I will try with HD800s to test it’s hp driving ability.
i eagerly await to see how it is with the 800s :D

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,558 of 2,084
i eagerly await to see how it is with the 800s :D
Spent a bit of time with the KA and HD800s today. Using roon I grouped the KA, SP1000 and Hugo TT and switched the 800s between them. I used Brian Bromberg as the recordings of his bass are tight with lots of low energy and the mids and highs are well recorded with space, allowing focus on individual instruments. First I set the KA level and then matched as closely as possible the SP1000 and TT. At what would be a loud level for me the KA was at 90 (amp on high), the SP1000 109 and the TT on green.

The TT can easily drive the 800s and I have listened frequently to it with the 800s so I used it as my reference. Although I feel the SP1000 can drive the 800s I feel that at this level the sound starts to lose some of the air. Switching to the KA the air was back and I felt there was more headroom to go as in the TT. I would say the KA can easily drive 800s.

This also gave me a chance to compare sound signatures. The Chord has a dark and balanced sound with impactful bass and smooth treble. I would qualify the SP1000 as a lush sound with smooth bass and slightly forward mids. The KA sound is very slightly thinner than the SP1000 and has good bass transients.

The KA was a good purchase and meets it's design to drive difficult loads. I am also impressed with A&K implementation of the ESS chip.

Hope this helps.

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #1,559 of 2,084
Spent a bit of time with the KA and HD800s today. Using roon I grouped the KA, SP1000 and Hugo TT and switched the 800s between them. I used Brian Bromberg as the recordings of his bass are tight with lots of low energy and the mids and highs are well recorded with space, allowing focus on individual instruments. First I set the KA level and then matched as closely as possible the SP1000 and TT. At what would be a loud level for me the KA was at 90 (amp on high), the SP1000 109 and the TT on green.

The TT can easily drive the 800s and I have listened frequently to it with the 800s so I used it as my reference. Although I feel the SP1000 can drive the 800s I feel that at this level the sound starts to lose some of the air. Switching to the KA the air was back and I felt there was more headroom to go as in the TT. I would say the KA can easily drive 800s.

This also gave me a chance to compare sound signatures. The Chord has a dark and balanced sound with impactful bass and smooth treble. I would qualify the SP1000 as a lush sound with smooth bass and slightly forward mids. The KA sound is very slightly thinner than the SP1000 and has good bass transients.

The KA was a good purchase and meets it's design to drive difficult loads. I am also impressed with A&K implementation of the ESS chip.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a bunch! Saved me the effort of getting a home setup for now 🙂

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #1,560 of 2,084
Bliss

Attachments

• 9B43F5CD-56D0-4B4C-95C9-55BD9108A23B.jpeg
    9B43F5CD-56D0-4B4C-95C9-55BD9108A23B.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back