Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 28, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #2,446 of 2,698
Does Kann play Hi-Fi music from Tidal (16-44.1)?
I believe it won’t play MQA?
Thank you in advance!
  • Yes to Tidal - but I believe it now depends upon which country you are in.
  • No to MQA.
The original KANN is approaching three years old now and simply will not remain up to date with current services due to its architecture.
It is a superb stand alone player, but a cheap new phone will stream more effectively tthrough a DAC.

Note that the KANN Cube is a very different device in terms of architecture and may well deliver what you are wanting.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #2,452 of 2,698
What? 3.5 to 2.5 not only doesn't make sense, but will also damage your dap. You can't go SE to balanced. Balanced to SE? Yes, fine.

Attachments

• B8DC468F-4270-45BA-AC14-14B23DD725A6.jpeg
    B8DC468F-4270-45BA-AC14-14B23DD725A6.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #2,455 of 2,698
When I first got a DAP with a choice of Balanced and Single Ended headphone output, I did some research.

My initial presumption was I could simply plug anything in as long as I had an adapter to help it fit the hole.

That was wrong.

I soon learnt that the 2.5 and 3.5 serve a purpose each and each have different circuitry etc. They are NOT really interchangeable.

To achieve 'balanced', you need certain wiring at least, if not dedicated 'balanced' head or earphones .

At this price point you do not want to risk damage.

I now use the standard jack more than the balanced - I find my standard earphones more comfortable overall.

I use balanced just for certain things when I'm in the mood for pretending I'm more of an audiophile!

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #2,456 of 2,698
When I first got a DAP with a choice of Balanced and Single Ended headphone output, I did some research.

My initial presumption was I could simply plug anything in as long as I had an adapter to help it fit the hole.

That was wrong.

I soon learnt that the 2.5 and 3.5 serve a purpose each and each have different circuitry etc. They are NOT really interchangeable.

To achieve 'balanced', you need certain wiring at least, if not dedicated 'balanced' head or earphones .

At this price point you do not want to risk damage.

I now use the standard jack more than the balanced - I find my standard earphones more comfortable overall.

I use balanced just for certain things when I'm in the mood for pretending I'm more of an audiophile!

Agreed. 2.5 and 4.4 are the kinds of true balancing while 3.5 is not. Yes it is possible to interchange from 2.5(balanced) to 3.5 or from 4.4 to 3.5. But the other way around is not gonna work well.

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,458 of 2,698
@JasonNYC I get that AK has been busy lately but what about the update for our KANN?

Not yet. I will reach out to our dev team this week for an update.

OK, so nearly a month since this mssg, any news now? Or are we holding out hope for nothing going to come?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back