Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jan 23, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,266 of 2,698
Same problem here. Mine is a month old today and all I have is an expensive block of metal sat on my desk. I note, with concern, that the update which has caused the problem is still on A&K web site and, perhaps more worrying, there is no warning about the possible risks of processing the update. To my mind this says a lot about A&K attitude and I'm not impressed.

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #2,268 of 2,698
Same problem here. Mine is a month old today and all I have is an expensive block of metal sat on my desk. I note, with concern, that the update which has caused the problem is still on A&K web site and, perhaps more worrying, there is no warning about the possible risks of processing the update. To my mind this says a lot about A&K attitude and I'm not impressed.

Why a warning?? They probably need 50%+1 users affected to delete the update files from the server.

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #2,269 of 2,698
Is there a way of knowing, though the KANN device itself or through the listing of files on the device, what files have already been listened to and not (similar to as shown in Apple Music that states the number of times a file has been reproduced?)

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,270 of 2,698
As I've mentioned in a few posts already, please hold off for the moment on contacting our EU repair center or sending anything in. Our hardware and software teams are working on the issue and once we determine the problem and solution, we will update everyone on how to proceed. So far, we've had about 3% of units updated exhibit this issue, so we want to make sure we find what caused it and how to correctly fix it. I should hopefully have more to share next week.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 24, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #2,272 of 2,698
I can't even attempt to update firmware to v1.13 - every time I hit the update button it just pops up an error message like this "An error occurred during firmware download. Check Wi-Fi connection and charge battery before trying again"
My Kann is at 100% battery and Wifi working perfectly. Why is there no option to manually update? OTA only is such a poor decision.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #2,273 of 2,698
If there was a chance your KANN could be bricked - even temporarily - by a firmware update, wouldn't you want to know?
I suppose that was a sarcasm :o2smile:.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #2,275 of 2,698
I can't even attempt to update firmware to v1.13 - every time I hit the update button it just pops up an error message like this "An error occurred during firmware download. Check Wi-Fi connection and charge battery before trying again"
My Kann is at 100% battery and Wifi working perfectly. Why is there no option to manually update? OTA only is such a poor decision.
It is good so. Do not even attempt to upgrade to this firmware if you do not want to risk to brick your toy.

If you search this thread you may find how to do manual upgrade, even if that is not the official supported method. I would wait until a&k finds and removes the bug from this firmware.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,276 of 2,698
I updated and nothing really changed everything working fine but I was hoping they will have an update for Kann Tidal app with MQA support :frowning2:
Don't wait for a miracle :) There will be no Tidal offline and no MQA on KANN ... if you read this back then JasonNYC described it (hardware is not available on KANN)
((no matter who is using headphones in balance, KANN is still a quality player.))

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #2,277 of 2,698
Don't wait for a miracle :) There will be no Tidal offline and no MQA on KANN ... if you read this back then JasonNYC described it (hardware is not available on KANN)
((no matter who is using headphones in balance, KANN is still a quality player.))

I cant agree more, KANN over balanced out is something special. Stage is big and wide, low end is tight, accurate, fast, vocal 1m away, separation of instruments fanatastic, level of details makes me hear something I did not hear before and been listening 1000x that very track.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #2,278 of 2,698
I cant agree more, KANN over balanced out is something special. Stage is big and wide, low end is tight, accurate, fast, vocal 1m away, separation of instruments fanatastic, level of details makes me hear something I did not hear before and been listening 1000x that very track.

This is not your KANN, this is your can.

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #2,279 of 2,698
For me, the Kann is what it was designed for - a superb player of music files for my home. If I want streaming or more portable, then I use something else. But if I want to experience the best quality from my own music collection, lovingly curated and transferred to SD Cards, then the KANN is my tool.

I have never listened to my music so intently and confidently, spotting nuances I always missed before. New life has been breathed into some CDs I never cared for before due to their poor sound on lesser equipment I had.

In short, the KANN has unlocked my audio experience and it is just what I wanted. 512GB + 256GB + internal gives me more than enough to carry what makes most of my digital ALAC format collection. Fat32 format works as it should - Sandisk cards from trusted retaillers.

Lovely to hold and feel, large display and good interface. Have never found how to play with EQ but do not feel I need it with this player. (My Cowon Plenue D2 lets me play with those things but something about the KANN is surefooted about how it presents to my ears.)

In short, just what I wanted and expected after careful research and consideration. And it sometimes warms my hands as well!

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #2,280 of 2,698
I totally agree Plutopants, couldn't have put it better. I no longer have my hifi vinyl setup that I used from 1975 to 1995 playing my albums, but when everybody else is in bed I sit late at night in my lounge with the Kann connected to my Audioquest Nightowls listening to Hi Res Bowie, Michel Jarre, Pink Floyd and many more quality albums I'm in heaven again. Not quit as good as my old hifi but getting damn close, I love it's tactile feel and design as well. It's hardware to play HI Res and FLAC, and for me not for streaming low quality or listening to music on the move, use your phone for that and not this device, this should be used when able to hear it's quality in the right surroundings, only my personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back