Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Dec 31, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2,161 of 2,698
-------------
Thanks for the tips. Indeed, my biggest problem with the EQ is that the HD650 has a very low volume. It didn't make a profit for me. (Without EQ, 90-100 volume is enough. In balanced) EQs are hard to interpret. But it was a helpful description of you.
I got a balanced cable so I could listen to the HD650 on the Kann. It does the trick, but it isn't as well made as the stock cable. I wish Sennheiser would make one and sell it as an add-on.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #2,162 of 2,698
Thanks. That makes 2 different and clearly distinct sound signatures, it seems. My cube just arrived. I have not even tested it yet, but I am debating whether to keep my Kann for OTG use (since the cube seems too big and unwieldy for that) or sell it. I like the sound of the Kann as well as its massive storage capacities. I only went for the cube because of the software/App limitations of the Kann.

It helps that the Kann and the Cube present two different and clearly distinct SQ flavors, hence two different sonic experiences. If I wind up keeping both, the Kann won't feel like it is sonically redundant.

Thanks again.

Curious to hear if you ended up keeping both...

I have been looking t the Cube as I love the looks/size and features, though the older Kann is available used for much cheaper, so I am debating which one to go for.
I also use Tidal offline / MQA a lot so I hope they both support it in an elegant way...

Thanks in advance for your input!

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #2,164 of 2,698
The no Cube KANN does not support Tidal offline and it won't, due to hardware restrictions.
Thank you so much for clarifying that. I had no idea, even after searching online for an answer.

does the older Kann support it? Or would I be better off asking which ones of the current AK products support offline Tidal MQA playback?

thanks again for your help... much appreciated!

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #2,167 of 2,698
Curious to hear if you ended up keeping both...

I have been looking t the Cube as I love the looks/size and features, though the older Kann is available used for much cheaper, so I am debating which one to go for.
I also use Tidal offline / MQA a lot so I hope they both support it in an elegant way...

Thanks in advance for your input!
I see that @Promenadeplatz has already clarified the point about the older Kann not doing Tidal offline. It is actually one of the main reasons why I got the Cube version in the first place. I still have both and am still making my mind up about keeping the old one or selling it. I'm leaning toward keeping it for on the go use, because the new one is too heavy and too big to be ideal for that. It would be quite the nightmare to go jogging with it, for example, I imagine.

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #2,168 of 2,698
I see that @Promenadeplatz has already clarified the point about the older Kann not doing Tidal offline. It is actually one of the main reasons why I got the Cube version in the first place. I still have both and am still making my mind up about keeping the old one or selling it. I'm leaning toward keeping it for on the go use, because the new one is too heavy and too big to be ideal for that. It would be quite the nightmare to go jogging with it, for example, I imagine.

Why wouldn’t the KC support Tidal offline whereas the SP series can? What am I missing?

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #2,171 of 2,698
What a shame ! Kann can't play Tidal offline. I'm sure this is not an hardware restriction, surely the new version of tidal app need new version of android and Astell & Kern won't pay for that. A&k speak about internal memory and android version. But like irridium wrote there is a solution. I'm on it.

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #2,172 of 2,698
Sorry for the intrusion. I am about ready to rehome my original Kann and return to vinyl. Before I list it online I thought it best mention it here. Feel free to PM me if interested.

I will say that in the limited time I have used it the Kann has been one of my favorite devices in over 50 years of high end audio.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #2,173 of 2,698
Oh the joy of vinyl Mr. Thomson, the joy of vinyl, a quality of sound never since replicated. I have fond memories of cycling to the record shop to buy David Bowie Aladinsane, getting home and playing it on my fathers Thorens turntable, Trio amp through Denton II speakers, oh how can I get that sound back, getting a little close to it with the Kann so will persevere but don't know for how long. There is album listening and track listening, two different things to me, my three son's haven't experienced true hifi so they all track listen, sad in a way.

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #2,174 of 2,698
Quick question about copying Playlists.
I have an MKII and just got the KANN. I have an identical card with the same library in the KANN. Trying to copy Playlists set up on the MKII to the similar folder on KANN. Files are M3u, files move but result in 0kb file.
How does one move or copy the M3u file with the data?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back