Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jan 26, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,877 of 2,698
Looking for a Bluetooth or wireless battery powered speaker to listen to hi res and flac dsd outside. Is there anything on the market that will make the extra resolution audible.. I currently listen to kann with kaiser noble encore and the detail is outstanding but for summertime outside use when people are in the garden currently rocking a Bose soundlink lll which is adequate but nothing special, any ideas guy

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #1,879 of 2,698
KANN is also significantly different from other players with features not found in anything else, so there is significantly more development that is required. I keep pushing. It helps when owners voice their opinion like this so I can pass it along to the higher ups.
Thanks Jason! Any recent updates on if KANN will get Open APK?

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #1,880 of 2,698
@JasonNYC -- any further update on whether any new development is happening on the KANN? it seems like it has hit a wall in terms of new stuff and is now probably only in maintenance mode?

specific items:
- update to allow for other streaming services, i don't care whether it's through open APK, but can we have deezer, qobuz on there?
- update to current tidal app to allow offline downloading
- update to current tidal app to allow MQA, either in stream or offline mode

i primarily use my KANN now for DNLA capabilities but it's hard to justify 500+$ player when the new little fioo M6 has DNLA and i can get it for $150 and use it as an digial input to my home stereo and if need be it does have all of the apps/features listed above included.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #1,881 of 2,698
@JasonNYC -- any further update on whether any new development is happening on the KANN? it seems like it has hit a wall in terms of new stuff and is now probably only in maintenance mode?

specific items:
- update to allow for other streaming services, i don't care whether it's through open APK, but can we have deezer, qobuz on there?
- update to current tidal app to allow offline downloading
- update to current tidal app to allow MQA, either in stream or offline mode

i primarily use my KANN now for DNLA capabilities but it's hard to justify 500+$ player when the new little fioo M6 has DNLA and i can get it for $150 and use it as an digial input to my home stereo and if need be it does have all of the apps/features listed above included.

I totally agree with what you write. And I asked this question. The answer is not very much. ((even if it is not comparable to KANN in sound quality with FiiO Q5)) But it provides much more in services but other manufacturers ...:)

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #1,882 of 2,698
honestly, and maybe it's because i've been hanging out on sound science subforum for too a little too long, outside of the low (and awesomely low) output impedance of the KANN i'm not sure i will hear any discernible sound differences between KANN and M6 with any of my IEMs outside of the Shure 846s. Yes, I won't be able to drive any 80-250 ohm large cans but i don't have any of these either. my sony z6s are probably the highest impedance headphones that i'll ever have and i'm sure they'll work just fine. the AK chip vs. the Sabre chip is beyond what my (or anyone else's ears) can hear.

I totally agree with what you write. And I asked this question. The answer is not very much. ((even if it is not comparable to KANN in sound quality with FiiO Q5)) But it provides much more in services but other manufacturers ...:)

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #1,883 of 2,698
honestly, and maybe it's because i've been hanging out on sound science subforum for too a little too long, outside of the low (and awesomely low) output impedance of the KANN i'm not sure i will hear any discernible sound differences between KANN and M6 with any of my IEMs outside of the Shure 846s. Yes, I won't be able to drive any 80-250 ohm large cans but i don't have any of these either. my sony z6s are probably the highest impedance headphones that i'll ever have and i'm sure they'll work just fine. the AK chip vs. the Sabre chip is beyond what my (or anyone else's ears) can hear.

I have HD650, 8core copper silver balanced cable. It's beautiful. Basically KANN is perfectly enough for up to 600 ohms (that's why I bought it because it doesn't have to be used for a fixed DAC / AMP for PC) My two closed, low impedance headphones: Sony MDR-1AM2,(in balanced) but especially Senn HD630 VB (unbalanced) she's very nice about her. However, the development stopped. Apart from all this, I consider it a good buy.

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,884 of 2,698
I'm having problems with playlists. They won't load at all. I deleted all of them. Then I made one with just one song. That won't even load. Has anyone else had this problem?
Perhaps a similar problem: the Kann stopped seeing most of the music stored on it, including internal, SD, and micro-SD. I did "Initialize media scan" (under Default Settings") with no affect. Ended up doing a "Factory Reset" (also under Default Settings") which seems to have fixed it. Had to re-do all settings, and am re-copying stuff to the internal storage (cards were unaffected). Fingers crossed, that if they show up they'll play....
Edit from next day: they DO play, hoorah!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,885 of 2,698
Perhaps a similar problem: the Kann stopped seeing most of the music stored on it, including internal, SD, and micro-SD. I did "Initialize media scan" (under Default Settings") with no affect. Ended up doing a "Factory Reset" (also under Default Settings") which seems to have fixed it. Had to re-do all settings, and am re-copying stuff to the internal storage (cards were unaffected). Fingers crossed, that if they show up they'll play....
Edit from next day: they DO play, hoorah!

Perfect operating system does not exist .. :)

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,886 of 2,698
72E00057-7495-4700-B29A-FFE6EB810F01.jpeg Giving my Kann and AK engineering props
One of the first Kann owners
No issues, sq is amazing,,

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,888 of 2,698
Currently using noble kaiser encore and ultrasound 8LE thinking about another pair of full size, maybe beyerdynamic t1 or fostex 900. G2... Anyone tried these with kann and if so how do these cans cope with control and tightening of the kanns sq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back