Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Oct 23, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,786 of 2,698
Folks,

I just tried my Kann with the full format SD and it was a little hard for me to push it through - no click sound, however seeing the music from SD Card on Kann's menu I guess its somehow clicked in fine...however, trying to remove SD I find it impossible without the adhesive tape trick - this is SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card 256MB. What is your experience with this particular card if anyone has it but also how it went with your cards people? Tks.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,787 of 2,698
Folks,

I just tried my Kann with the full format SD and it was a little hard for me to push it through - no click sound, however seeing the music from SD Card on Kann's menu I guess its somehow clicked in fine...however, trying to remove SD I find it impossible without the adhesive tape trick - this is SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card 256MB. What is your experience with this particular card if anyone has it but also how it went with your cards people? Tks.
I had the same problem - no clicking on insertion, and difficulty removing, even though the data showed up on insertion. However, I think the slot just needed to be "broken in," so to speak. Either that, or the card needed to be worn down to conform to the slot. Either way, now the card clicks in and clicks out as it should. Give it time and see if the situation improves.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,788 of 2,698
I had the same problem - no clicking on insertion, and difficulty removing, even though the data showed up on insertion. However, I think the slot just needed to be "broken in," so to speak. Either that, or the card needed to be worn down to conform to the slot. Either way, now the card clicks in and clicks out as it should. Give it time and see if the situation improves.

I like the whole concept of audio equipment requiring 'breaking in' or 'burning in' :) We are now burning in cans (ok, I'm generally fine with it), DAPs (well....ok), IEMs (really???), and now SD card slots and cards themselves - lol. I find it sometimes funny but as you said, the fact is that these things likely require burning in or breaking in no matter what we think about it...in an actual fact I have just noticed that after a few attempts my SD card goes in much smoother. Thanks dude :)

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #1,790 of 2,698
I like the whole concept of audio equipment requiring 'breaking in' or 'burning in' :) We are now burning in cans (ok, I'm generally fine with it), DAPs (well....ok), IEMs (really???), and now SD card slots and cards themselves - lol. I find it sometimes funny but as you said, the fact is that these things likely require burning in or breaking in no matter what we think about it...in an actual fact I have just noticed that after a few attempts my SD card goes in much smoother. Thanks dude :)
No worries. I'm not saying this is the way it should be. In fact, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be that way; the card should go in smoothly from the get-go. But at least "break in" is better than having a defective card or slot. For the record, the Micro SD slot on mine has worked great out of the box.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,791 of 2,698
You are right and I fully agree. Kann is not a cheap DAP and actually should have been tested with multiple card types and manufacturers...unless this is an SD card manufacturer who didn't fully tested their own products. Either was I have to admit that when my card got initially stuck I was really nervous and having it googled the first article was about SD cards being stuck due to the card physical damage (card was likely forced leaving a little plastic part inside the slot) or damage of some internal card release mechanism. I thought I will explode if my Kann just got damaged...but luckily wasn't. Need a glass of cold water now to relax for a minute. Thanks again mate.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,793 of 2,698
You are right and I fully agree. Kann is not a cheap DAP and actually should have been tested with multiple card types and manufacturers...unless this is an SD card manufacturer who didn't fully tested their own products. Either was I have to admit that when my card got initially stuck I was really nervous and having it googled the first article was about SD cards being stuck due to the card physical damage (card was likely forced leaving a little plastic part inside the slot) or damage of some internal card release mechanism. I thought I will explode if my Kann just got damaged...but luckily wasn't. Need a glass of cold water now to relax for a minute. Thanks again mate.

I had the exact same experience the first time I used the SD slot. I finally pried it out with a paper clip. But, after a few uses, the slot works normally.

A&K must be using some inferior parts for the SD holder. Plus, you would think that part of QC they would test the SD slot before it is boxed up.

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #1,794 of 2,698
I had the exact same experience the first time I used the SD slot. I finally pried it out with a paper clip. But, after a few uses, the slot works normally.

A&K must be using some inferior parts for the SD holder. Plus, you would think that part of QC they would test the SD slot before it is boxed up.

Yeah...well some folks say that this is not the player itself but the SD card that should have had its corners a little bit more rounded but again, SanDisk is an SD card market leader so can't believe they don't follow basic product guidelines with their flagship products. Just wondering if this can be also experienced with A&K more expensive players, if not, apparently 1k player is really an entry level toy, what is not necessarily something I'm happy with - lol :/

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #1,795 of 2,698
Yeah...well some folks say that this is not the player itself but the SD card that should have had its corners a little bit more rounded but again, SanDisk is an SD card market leader so can't believe they don't follow basic product guidelines with their flagship products. Just wondering if this can be also experienced with A&K more expensive players, if not, apparently 1k player is really an entry level toy, what is not necessarily something I'm happy with - lol :/
Now that I think about it, the SD card fit into my HP laptop with zero problems when brand new, and required no break-in; and my laptop cost less than the Kann. Even though now the Kann accepts the card fine, the toggle action is still a little mushy, compared to the crisp clicking on my laptop, or even the micro-SD slot on the Kann. I attribute this to sub-par parts for the SD slot on the Kann. Shouldn't happen on a $1k player, "entry level" or not.

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,796 of 2,698
Now that I think about it, the SD card fit into my HP laptop with zero problems when brand new, and required no break-in; and my laptop cost less than the Kann. Even though now the Kann accepts the card fine, the toggle action is still a little mushy, compared to the crisp clicking on my laptop, or even the micro-SD slot on the Kann. I attribute this to sub-par parts for the SD slot on the Kann. Shouldn't happen on a $1k player, "entry level" or not.

Agree!

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #1,797 of 2,698
When I try to play my Tidal files, I get an error signal saying the "user trying to use streamurl does not have a valid session" or something to that effect. The bottomline is that I can't seem to get any of my Tidal music to play... Is there something I'm doing wrong, or have missed something, such a firmware update?

Any thoughts?

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,798 of 2,698
When I try to play my Tidal files, I get an error signal saying the "user trying to use streamurl does not have a valid session" or something to that effect. The bottomline is that I can't seem to get any of my Tidal music to play... Is there something I'm doing wrong, or have missed something, such a firmware update?

Any thoughts?
Log out of the Tidal app and log back into it. For some reason Tidal's servers cannot validate your login credentials. The Tidal app contacts their servers from time to time to validate your login information. Happens to me a number of times on my Android smartphone and Tidal team always told me to log out and log back in the re-validate.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,799 of 2,698
Log out of the Tidal app and log back into it. For some reason Tidal's servers cannot validate your login credentials. The Tidal app contacts their servers from time to time to validate your login information. Happens to me a number of times on my Android smartphone and Tidal team always told me to log out and log back in the re-validate.
Done, and it's back working again. Thanks,.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,800 of 2,698
As much as I like my KANN I find it to be really sluggish, I would totally buy a revision if it had updated hardware and software that brings it in line with the more recent AK players

Users who are viewing this thread

Back