Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Apr 7, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,981 of 2,204
Might anyone happen to know of an apk installer that works on a Mac?

Any Qobuz fans who might know the best version that can be sideloaded onto the Kann Cube?

I seem to have marooned myself at Qobuz 5.4.3. The link to buy music is now permanently deactivated and it just reported that over 200 tracks will have to be wiped from the device and downloaded again due to a “synchronization error”.

Ooops! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apk has nothing to to with mac. You have to copy the .apk file to the Cube internal drive (the path I do not know by heart). It will be offered for install when you open the services menu (same place where it will be startable afterwards). Latest Qobuz version I've installed is 5.15.0.0.

I had this "synchronisation error" earlier more frequently when I was starting the Qobuz on different devices (more than 4). Just click on yes, reimport them. Annoying if you are on limited rate wifi. I have not seen it on the latest version so far, even if still using more than 4 devices regularly.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,983 of 2,204
Apk has nothing to to with mac. You have to copy the .apk file to the Cube internal drive (the path I do not know by heart). It will be offered for install when you open the services menu (same place where it will be startable afterwards). Latest Qobuz version I've installed is 5.15.0.0.

I had this "synchronisation error" earlier more frequently when I was starting the Qobuz on different devices (more than 4). Just click on yes, reimport them. Annoying if you are on limited rate wifi. I have not seen it on the latest version so far, even if still using more than 4 devices regularly.

How do I copy the .apk to the Cube internal drive? When I connect the Cube to my Mac, it automatically enters USB DAC mode. I’ve tried clicking the Cube buttons “USB Mode” (below the circle with the word “DISK”) and “External USB” (below the circle with the USB icon in it), but they seem to be frozen (no response).

In order to copy the .apk to the Cube somehow (I imagine) I will have to get it to offer a folder with the name “OpenService” as shown in step 4 here: A&K Open APP Service

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #1,984 of 2,204
How do I copy the .apk to the Cube internal drive? When I connect the Cube to my Mac, it automatically enters USB DAC mode. I’ve tried clicking the Cube buttons “USB Mode” (below the circle with the word “DISK”) and “External USB” (below the circle with the USB icon in it), but they seem to be frozen (no response).

In order to copy the .apk to the Cube somehow (I imagine) I will have to get it to offer a folder with the name “OpenService” as shown in step 4 here: A&K Open APP Service
So in order to get apk files onto the Cube from a Mac you need to install the Android file transfer utility on your Mac first. Once done you can then transfer any supported app to the Cube and even audio files if you like.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #1,985 of 2,204

Is there a way to re-trigger the prompt to re-import all deleted tracks? Also, are you finding that every track needs to be downloaded twice in order to reach the KC gui (not the Qobuz app). I have to “import” every track and then “download” every same track in order for the KC to be able to see the track (be able to play it, add it to a playlist, etc.).

Thanks for your help upgrading to 5.15.0.0, I got that working today.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,986 of 2,204
Is there a way to re-trigger the prompt to re-import all deleted tracks? Also, are you finding that every track needs to be downloaded twice in order to reach the KC gui (not the Qobuz app). I have to “import” every track and then “download” every same track in order for the KC to be able to see the track (be able to play it, add it to a playlist, etc.).

Thanks for your help upgrading to 5.15.0.0, I got that working today.
I do not know what exacly you are doing, but sounds complicated.

In the Qobuz app "Import" is there to download the music for offline use within Qobuz. That you can do with any music on Qobuz. The downloaded files are encrypted, can not be played anything else than Qobuz.

"Download" is there to download the music that you have purchased on Qobuz. It is available only to the music that you have purchased already. The downloaded files can be played by any music player, including the Cube built in player.

So, if you purchase, you do not have to import, it is enough to download. The target directory can be set for both actions independently in the settings menu.

I do not use the download, because the purchase is easier to be made on a computer rather then on the Cube.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,989 of 2,204
I think I have found something.
I have downloaded the tidal 2.31.0 version (apk) from apkmirror.com and installed successfully. This is the last version marked for Android 5.0+. The next tidal version, the 2.32.0, is marked for Android 6.0+. After putting this .apk into the OpenService folder of the Cube it does not even appear in the Service menu as available for install.
My suspicion is that the A&K firmware is based in Android 5, that is why it is not possible to install anything what requires Android 6.0 as minimum.

One more finding about the new firmware 1.26CM : when using the Cube as USB DAC the battery is constantly depleting even if it is connected to the USB C slot of the desktop computer, and showing the charging sign inside the battery icon. On the previous firmware the battery level was increasing when connected to the same port.
As my native Tidal stopped working, I downloaded 2.31.0 Tidal APK as mentioned above and installed successfully, however - the "continue" button on the Tidal Log in screen remains dimmed out and I cannot enter my user name. It seems KC just won't let me use Tidal in any way! I guess it time to enjoy my existing files collection for a while ...

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,990 of 2,204
As my native Tidal stopped working, I downloaded 2.31.0 Tidal APK as mentioned above and installed successfully, however - the "continue" button on the Tidal Log in screen remains dimmed out and I cannot enter my user name. It seems KC just won't let me use Tidal in any way! I guess it time to enjoy my existing files collection for a while ...

I had the same issue on my SR15. Facebook login does work. I just had to connect my Tidal account to Facebook (using PC web browser).

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,992 of 2,204
Ok thanks good to know! -- not sure I'm willing to that though lol - I may wait a minute and see if AK can sort out the broken tokens for the native app.

Understood. I'll probably start getting Facebook ads for 1970's Jazz/Fusion/Post-bop... Might be better than the ads I get now. :sunglasses:

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,993 of 2,204
@JasonNYC: Hey Jason, surely there's a solution by now? I and many others 1) paid a lot for the AK KC; 2) pay a lot for Tidal every month and 3) don't want to have to login through facebook as we have the right not use FB /stay deactivated etc.

I would contact A & K directly but they simply do not acknowledge correspondence from their customers.

Apr 21, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #1,994 of 2,204
@JasonNYC: Hey Jason, surely there's a solution by now? I and many others 1) paid a lot for the AK KC; 2) pay a lot for Tidal every month and 3) don't want to have to login through facebook as we have the right not use FB /stay deactivated etc.
I should have an update tomorrow with more detailed info to share.

I would contact A & K directly but they simply do not acknowledge correspondence from their customers.
According to your profile, you are located in Canada. Have you tried contacting our North America support team in the past and not received a response? I work directly for the North America team and we are very responsive for customer support. https://us.astellnkern.com/pages/contact-us

If that is not the case, please let me know.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 22, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #1,995 of 2,204
Astell&Kern has identified the issues users are having with the embedded Tidal app. Tidal has changed the authentication method used when logging into third-party Tidal apps. Astell&Kern is working as quickly as possible to make the required changes in the embedded app.

New firmware updates for the SP2000, SP1000, SP1000M, SE200, SE100, SR25 and KANN ALPHA will be released in May 2021, which will contain an updated embedded Tidal app to fix the authentication issues.

There is an issue with the new Tidal authentication policies on the following players – KANN CUBE, SA700, SR15, CT15 and CT10. We are looking into ways to continue to support the Tidal app on these players. More information will be available in May 2021.

Tidal is dropping support for older model Android devices. Unfortunately this means Tidal can no longer be supported on the following players due to the new authentication requirements - AK380, AK320, AK300, KANN, AK70 MKII, AK70, AK240, AK120II, AK100II.

Last edited:
Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back