Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jun 9, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #1,726 of 2,200
Can anyone comment on battery usage with the latest firmware? (I’m on 1.21CM)

With the previous firmware, I could charge up the KC and leave it for at least a week (frequently a week and a half). When I power it back on, the charge level was unchanged (100% if I charged it fully).
Untouched for a week? Never happens! :o2smile:

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,727 of 2,200
Can anyone comment on battery usage with the latest firmware? (I’m on 1.21CM)

With the previous firmware, I could charge up the KC and leave it for at least a week (frequently a week and a half). When I power it back on, the charge level was unchanged (100% if I charged it fully).

What I am seeing now, with the 1.21CM firmware, is that if I charge the KC to 100% and then turn off the unit, if I then attempt to turn on the KC 48 hours later, the KC is dead (battery level is 0%, not even any of the red “low battery” indication).

This only started with the 1.21CM firmware. Is it possible that the new firmware doesn’t actually power off the device?

Otherwise I have no idea what the problem could be. The unit was purchased new directly from Astell & Kern late August 2019 so 10 months old.

No issues here... Maybe try a factory reset. It may be getting stuck in a loop when you shut it down.

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #1,729 of 2,200
If I do a factory reset, I thought I lose all my playlists?
I suppose you do lose them.

How do you turn off your Cube? Holding the power button for a few seconds, then confirming the shut down with the on screen popup window?

What are your timer settings? (Settings -> Timer settings)

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,730 of 2,200
Has anyone used the KANN Cube as a USB DAC while connected to a Roon Nucleus, or connected to any other non-Windows transport device in a Roon Core ethernet network? Jason, might you please have any information from A&K as to whether the Cube will work as a DAC with a USB connection to Linux devices such as the Allo Raspberry Pi or with ARM-based devices?

Thank you very much!

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #1,731 of 2,200
I suppose you do lose them.

How do you turn off your Cube? Holding the power button for a few seconds, then confirming the shut down with the on screen popup window?

What are your timer settings? (Settings -> Timer settings)

I usually have no preference between letting the device turn itself off and holding the power button down, then confirming the shutdown with the pop-up.

Actually, I think I may know ultimately what is making the difference: if I use a fast charge (the Qualcomm quick charge capability) it seems to lose charge very quickly (36 hours). If I charge using an Apple usb charger, the battery seems to stay charged for a long, long time (over a week).

It seems like the Qualcomm charge is somehow not really delivering a proper charge up...?

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #1,734 of 2,200
@JasonNYC I was thinking today.
A&K should make some kind of remote control app or support audirvana so that you could use the kann cube and their other DAPs are streamers when at home.
Currently, I have an optical cable running out of the kann, but its a pain having to walk up to the system just to change or pick an album.
Would be nice to have a simple web app of sorts or audirvana support so it doubles as a streamer. People using its XLR out would also greatly benefit as it obviously has no digital inputs.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #1,735 of 2,200
Also, can't seem to get the Kann cube to output DSD64 via optical.
Any ideas?

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,736 of 2,200
A&K should make some kind of remote control app or support audirvana so that you could use the kann cube and their other DAPs are streamers when at home.
Currently, I have an optical cable running out of the kann, but its a pain having to walk up to the system just to change or pick an album.
Would be nice to have a simple web app of sorts or audirvana support so it doubles as a streamer. People using its XLR out would also greatly benefit as it obviously has no digital inputs.

Isn’t that what the AK Connect app does?

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,737 of 2,200
We do! AK Connect is available in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. You can also use any other DLNA enabled remote app such as Sony Network Audio Remote or BubbleUPnP.

Also, most Bluetooth audio remotes that you can find on Amazon will work to control playback on any AK device.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #1,738 of 2,200
Also, can't seem to get the Kann cube to output DSD64 via optical.
Any ideas?
DSD is converted to PCM for the optical output You have to enable it in Settings->S/PDIF conversion.

AK connect app does the remote control - sort of. AK connect function must be enabled for it on the Cube.
BubbleUPNP does it as well, it has even Qobuz and Tidal integration, except playing offline content.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #1,740 of 2,200
Hi audio-
I also have 1.21CM as I expect most of us would by now and I'm not having that problem with battery., there doesn't seem to be any chance in battery performance to me. I have no idea how to reinstall it. but that might help.
Rusty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back