Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Feb 29, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,456 of 2,200
How is the Verite Cube combo treating you? I love my Cube and am just narrrowing down my headphone choices w Verite at top of list. Curious to know what cabling/input you use to connect.

Oh, wow! It's been a long time since I sold all my portables and the Verite. I think anything I would tell you right now might not be very useful as it was months ago but it all depends on what you are looking for. Verite is a bit on the warmer side, even has less treble than Stellia.

You can also consider the HEDDphone which I tried around the same time I had the Verite, and was about same detail level and more sparkly, which I liked.

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #1,457 of 2,200
How is the Verite Cube combo treating you? I love my Cube and am just narrrowing down my headphone choices w Verite at top of list. Curious to know what cabling/input you use to connect.

I tried the AK T5p 2nd generation today and it comes with a very nice balance cable to go directly with the Kann. Sounds good too, but I need to audition it some more. I am also on the lookout for a closed back for use in my office that I just can plug straight into my Cube.

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,458 of 2,200
Oh, wow! It's been a long time since I sold all my portables and the Verite. I think anything I would tell you right now might not be very useful as it was months ago but it all depends on what you are looking for. Verite is a bit on the warmer side, even has less treble than Stellia.

You can also consider the HEDDphone which I tried around the same time I had the Verite, and was about same detail level and more sparkly, which I liked.
I tried the AK T5p 2nd generation today and it comes with a very nice balance cable to go directly with the Kann. Sounds good too, but I need to audition it some more. I am also on the lookout for a closed back for use in my office that I just can plug straight into my Cube.
Oh ok, nice, I haven’t checked those out yet. At CanJam I was really impressed with the Verite both open and closed on their demo rig - unfortunately I didn’t have my Cube with me so I was never able to hear the pairing I would use.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #1,459 of 2,200
I have and Kann Cube and a 1tb USB Thumb Drive and a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Is it possible to connect an external drive and access via AK Connect? I've tried a number of methods and can't get it to show up.

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #1,460 of 2,200
Hi. I need your opinions.
I have ibasso dx220 + amp8.
A fried want to exchange me his ak kann cube (with money difference obviously) for my ibasso dx220 with amp8.

He told me that his Kann sounds anemic, with tons of detail but nothing of body. My question for you is if it is correct?

In comparisson with amp8 (which has a very natural timbre with a lot of body) the kann is different in the TIMBRE?
I mean, does ak kann cube have body in the bass, mids and highs like amp8 or only is very clean, clear and detailed?

My friend lives in other city, impossible for me do a comparisson between both before...

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #1,461 of 2,200
My several week audition with the Cube was definitely not an anemic one. I found (as others here have as well) that I needed to use the highest output setting regardless of headphone power needs in order to get the slam though.

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #1,462 of 2,200
A fried want to exchange me his ak kann cube (with money difference obviously) for my ibasso dx220 with amp8.

He told me that his Kann sounds anemic, with tons of detail but nothing of body. My question for you is if it is correct?

In comparisson with amp8 (which has a very natural timbre with a lot of body) the kann is different in the TIMBRE?
I mean, does ak kann cube have body in the bass, mids and highs like amp8 or only is very clean, clear and detailed?

My friend lives in other city, impossible for me do a comparisson between both before...
Perhaps your friend will consider a loaner or trial period?

I changed the Kann Cube (KC) amp gain setting to high and the KC sounded like a whole new DAP. The menu flashes a notice that the battery will not last as long when set to high. I have not measured but I do not find that the high setting has affected my usage (I charge the KC each evening). I find that planer headphones do not scale quite as well as other headphones but I have found a whole new life with my Mr Speakers Ether Flow C and the KC so I'm not complaining. Impedance match also matters. For me, the Fostex TH-909 with balanced cables and my JH Audio Layla with balanced cables sound wonderful with the KC!

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,463 of 2,200

I had the DX220 with the AMP8ex and sold it. I like the Kann more. I'm never feel like it's anemic. I think it will really depend on headphones.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,464 of 2,200
I had the DX220 with the AMP8ex and sold it. I like the Kann more. I'm never feel like it's anemic. I think it will really depend on headphones.
Excuse me bro.
Could you be more specific (why do you like more the Kann) please?
I dont care soundstage and imaging, both are good i am sure. But for me the "body" is very important because when the sound is very thin, it could be very fatiguing after 1 hour, and i pretend to use it with IEMs with few body. Then, how do you compare the body of both DAPs and why you prefer kann?

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #1,466 of 2,200
Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. Is anyone having problems since February side loading the latest version of Tidal through APKPure? The problem seems to be based on the fact that the files now are XAPK files, rather than simple APKs. I do what I've always done and download on to my Mac and then transfer on to the Open Services folder of my Kann Cube through Android File Transfer. But on the player itself, the file doesn't appear. So I'm currently stuck on version 2.19.0, when APKPure has version 2.21.0. Does this mean I can never update Tidal again on the KC? Or am I missing something? Is there a simple solution? If I can't, then the A&K Open Services solution is useless for me and the KC will have to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #1,467 of 2,200
Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. Is anyone having problems since February side loading the latest version of Tidal through APKPure? The problem seems to be based on the fact that the files now are XAPK files, rather than simple APKs. I do what I've always done and download on to my Mac and then transfer on to the Open Services folder of my Kann Cube through Android File Transfer. But on the player itself, the file doesn't appear. So I'm currently stuck on version 2.19.0, when APKPure has version 2.21.0. Does this mean I can never update Tidal again on the KC? Or am I missing something? Is there a simple solution? If I can't, then the A&K Open Services solution is useless for me and the KC will have to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m stuck on an even earlier version because of this.

Mar 15, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #1,468 of 2,200
So Fiio has added sort by Album Artist to their latest firmware and it works perfectly. Any chance AK will do this at some point?

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #1,469 of 2,200
XAPK support will be added in the next firmware update which is tentatively scheduled for release the last day of March/first week of April.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 15, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,470 of 2,200
So Fiio has added sort by Album Artist to their latest firmware and it works perfectly. Any chance AK will do this at some point?
This has been requested and has been passed onto our dev team for consideration in a future firmware update, but there is no ETA on if or when it might appear. I will pass it on again.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back