Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,473 of 2,200
Kann is beautiful.
I use it as the DAC/Streamer for my system.
I have Cube -> Kinki EX-P7 -> Proton D1200 and CA 651W
The sound is gorgeous.
I used to have issues with the DAC draining power too quickly, but I recently upgraded to an active USB3.0 extension cable with the power coming out of my conditioner. Haven't had issues since then.
I used to use the Kann outside with my focal clears but I sold those and moved towards vintage Stax.
Now they power my IEMs and likely a more portable can in future.

My only gripe is with searching for DSD albums using the MQS tab.
Unfortunately, it doesn't correctly use the Album name, so my albums appear split.
It correctly displays in the regular library tab.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #1,478 of 2,200
@JasonNYC
I have my Kann Cube connected via an active USB3.1 cable and feeding it an additional 5V2A off the wall socket.
Despite this, it still discharges over the day, only lasting me around 8hours as a DAC, which would have been fine in a normal situation.
With COVID19 however, I'm at home all day, so 8Hrs isn't nearly enough.
Any solution to this to give it more juice?
Thinking of running it with the Active USB hub I ordered for extra juice, but not sure.

Mar 28, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #1,479 of 2,200
Hi folks! I have a question. I recently bought a 5-pin mini XLR to dual RCA cable to plug the Cube into my amplifier. However, sound only comes out of the red RCA and not the other. I have exchanged the cable for a new one and this problem persists. Wonder if my Kann has a faulty mini XLR port or did I fail to make proper configurations in the setting?

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #1,480 of 2,200
Hi folks! I have a question. I recently bought a 5-pin mini XLR to dual RCA cable to plug the Cube into my amplifier. However, sound only comes out of the red RCA and not the other. I have exchanged the cable for a new one and this problem persists. Wonder if my Kann has a faulty mini XLR port or did I fail to make proper configurations in the setting?
Are there 6 wires coming out?
Are you sure your poweramp isn't the issue?

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #1,481 of 2,200
Are there 6 wires coming out?
Are you sure your poweramp isn't the issue?

Tried my amp with other DAC and works fine. May I ask what you meant by "6 wires coming out"?

Mar 28, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #1,482 of 2,200
Tried my amp with other DAC and works fine. May I ask what you meant by "6 wires coming out"?
On the one my cable guy did up for me, he has is so that the sleeving up to the 5pin connector is clear.
There should be 6 wires seen. 5pins + a ground wire. These 6 wires then split off to 2 x 3pin xlrs
image[1].jpg

Mar 29, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,483 of 2,200
On the one my cable guy did up for me, he has is so that the sleeving up to the 5pin connector is clear.
There should be 6 wires seen. 5pins + a ground wire. These 6 wires then split off to 2 x 3pin xlrs
image[1].jpg

This is my cable. I am suspecting because 5-pin mini XLR is a balance output, the dual RCA will not work?
20200329_135553.jpg

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #1,484 of 2,200
This is my cable. I am suspecting because 5-pin mini XLR is a balance output, the dual RCA will not work?
20200329_135553.jpg
Yeah, I'm not sure.
It's possible it was wired incorrectly.
No idea how 6 wires would be made into 4.
4pin XLR I can kinda understand but not 5pin with ground.
Didn't think someone would be using this SE.

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,485 of 2,200
You can just take the GND and the Positive side of the signal to make a single ended output. It only uses half the DAC and buffer.

You can't do that with balanced headphone outputs, as they usually lack ground (4-pin, L+/L- & R+/R-).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back