Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Apr 11, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #1,503 of 2,200
Im thinking of buying this DAP for my WA8 as a source. My question is if the line out on the KAnn Cube is 3.5mm? Furthermore, can I send DSD256 natively via line out to the WA8?
DAC out on the Kann cube is 5pin XLR, using line out is yikes since, with daps, the signal is fed through the amp section, meaning you would be double amping.
WA8 is also yikes, imagine paying that much money for a single-ended amp. Literally 5pin xlr to 2.5mm with the ifi xcan would have been better.
Kann Cube does native DSD256 but only PCM 192/24 via optical IIRC.

Apr 12, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,504 of 2,200
Hey Gabe,

Thanks for clarifying the peculiarities of the Cube, much appreciated! As for the quandary of single ended amps, once I shelled out 4k for one that drove the HD800 like nothing else. And it was considered the top3 amps, all time! :)

Just curios, how did you come to the conclusion that SE amps cannot, in fact, worth, like 2k or above?

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #1,505 of 2,200
Im thinking of buying this DAP for my WA8 as a source. My question is if the line out on the KAnn Cube is 3.5mm? Furthermore, can I send DSD256 natively via line out to the WA8?
Kann cube can play DSD256, can send it to the SE 3.5 line out, which is a fixed value amping.
Screen_Shot_2019-07-24_at_10.46.31_AM.png

You can choose this fixed value in the menu.
20200412_183209.jpg

The result:
20200412_131536~2.jpg

I would not worry about double amping. The Cube output is so neutral.

I have auditioned the HS800 driven by the Cube some months ago. It was soo clean.

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #1,506 of 2,200
Hey Gabe,

Thanks for clarifying the peculiarities of the Cube, much appreciated! As for the quandary of single ended amps, once I shelled out 4k for one that drove the HD800 like nothing else. And it was considered the top3 amps, all time! :)

Just curios, how did you come to the conclusion that SE amps cannot, in fact, worth, like 2k or above?
I guess if you had the misfortune of owning a dynamic, you would also be fooled by the glowy tubes of Woo audio.
The fact of the matter is if Wu thinks adding ballasts resistors and not killing headphones degrades the sound, then you can only imagine how much of a meme every other product he makes is.
Not sure who considered your SE amp to be in the top three, but I'm willing to guess it was either r/headphones or headphone headquarters, the kinda place that would unironically shill a dynamic.

Apr 13, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #1,507 of 2,200
I guess if you had the misfortune of owning a dynamic, you would also be fooled by the glowy tubes of Woo audio.
The fact of the matter is if Wu thinks adding ballasts resistors and not killing headphones degrades the sound, then you can only imagine how much of a meme every other product he makes is.
Not sure who considered your SE amp to be in the top three, but I'm willing to guess it was either r/headphones or headphone headquarters, the kinda place that would unironically shill a dynamic.
Got any recommendations for a transportable tube amp?

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #1,508 of 2,200

Right-o! Enjoy your music!

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,509 of 2,200
Right-o! Enjoy your music!
And I hope you truly enjoy every second of your bass distortion :k701smile:
I bet the sluggishness and artificial soundstage sounds magical:smile:

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #1,510 of 2,200
Hey all,

I was trying to install the Spotify APK. It was difficult to find the APK from a trusted source (APKPure only linked to the Google Play store). So I found an Android phone and downloaded it there. Then I used an APK backup utility to extract the APK and then used that to copy over to the KANN CUBE. So I have v8.5.51.941 of the Spotify app which should be the newest version.

Unfortunately, after installing it, the app would launch and hang for a second and then crash. Does anyone know what version of the APK works on KANN CUBE? Or how to get this version to work?

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #1,511 of 2,200
Hey all,

I was trying to install the Spotify APK. It was difficult to find the APK from a trusted source (APKPure only linked to the Google Play store). So I found an Android phone and downloaded it there. Then I used an APK backup utility to extract the APK and then used that to copy over to the KANN CUBE. So I have v8.5.51.941 of the Spotify app which should be the newest version.

Unfortunately, after installing it, the app would launch and hang for a second and then crash. Does anyone know what version of the APK works on KANN CUBE? Or how to get this version to work?

Thanks!
I have Spotify version installed and working: 8.5.13.637.
I must have the .apk file somewhere.

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #1,513 of 2,200
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #1,514 of 2,200
I downloaded and installed this a minute ago, and now playing music. Try this and tell if you like it.

https://apkpure.com/spotify-music/com.spotify.music/download/57678268-APK?from=variants/version
This link does not work if you are in North America or certain other countries. For some reason, they have removed access to Spotify for certain countries. We are looking into alternatives for those people that reside in North America and other countries that cannot access Spotify through APK Pure.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,515 of 2,200
Unfortunately we need to VPN to somewhere like Switzerland (very reliable) and then load the page. I think that was somewhere earlier in this thread, too, but bears a mention here as well.

So, how's that firmware coming? :D I'm not trying to be pushy since my Cube is super reliable right now. Semi-related, My SA700's wifi seems a little weaker on the latest firmware, though. I'll go find the 700 thread in the DAP forum

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back