Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jan 28, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #1,426 of 2,200
Hi Jason and Kann Cube community: I have a feature request for a future FW update: search by song title. Having to browse large lists of artists, songs, etc. when building "mix tape" type playlists can get difficult with large music collections. If I could search for the desired song title, be taken to a list of search results and then choose a result to add to a playlist, it would be way easier. Thanks for listening.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #1,427 of 2,200
Hi Jason and Kann Cube community: I have a feature request for a future FW update: search by song title. Having to browse large lists of artists, songs, etc. when building "mix tape" type playlists can get difficult with large music collections. If I could search for the desired song title, be taken to a list of search results and then choose a result to add to a playlist, it would be way easier. Thanks for listening.
This is already possible by using the search function. On the main menu, accessed by swiping right or tapping the "A" on the top, right of the screen, press the search icon (looks like a magnifying glass) in the top, left corner of the main menu screen.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #1,429 of 2,200
+1 on redesigning the way volume works.

My issue with volume is I regularly set the volume to 150 when using Bluetooth and I’m switching between Bluetooth and headphones all day long. Every once in a while, I get music through my headphones at volume 150 and it takes a loooooong time for that volume knob to turn down to level 70 which is my preferred volume through headphones. So I have been connecting my headphones without wearing them. Then, after connecting the headphones, if the volume is at level 150, I rip out the 3.5mm connector as rapidly as possible to try to prevent damage to my headphones.

The + and - buttons below the volume knob in theory would work much faster at large volume changes but in practice I never use those since my hand is already on the volume knob.

It seems like the design could really be a lot better.
When the volume triangle comes up on the screen when you turn the knob you can then just swipe down on the triangle (pyramid) and drop the volume that way

does that work quick enough?

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #1,430 of 2,200
am i right to assume any (looking at 512gb) sandisk or samsung micro sd cards are fine - ie no issue with these

edit: supplementary question:

i assume the speed of the card is no issue for playback purposes
I’m using a 1tb Sandisk Extreme Pro. I wouldn’t say performance is great. Quite a lot of lag with Tidal. Quite a bit more than the 512gb extreme pro I had previously. The Samsung Evos suck. Never worked properly on any Android-based dap I’ve had. And I’ve had a lot.

Jan 31, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #1,431 of 2,200
No
New Kann Cube user here, purchased about two weeks ago and was loving it up until today. Anyone had theirs just completely die? Battery was charged last time I powered it down yesterday. Today, it will not power on at all no matter what. Connected to charger, not connected to charger, left charging for hours, hold power button for 30+ seconds, hold power button with each other button combination for 30+ seconds, nothing - completely dead. Pretty surprising and disappointing for a $1,500 DAP purchased two weeks ago brand new. Guess I'm pretty much dead in the water. Submitted a question to A&K via Facebook as well as their Q&A page, so will see what they say. But thought I would ask Head-Fi friends for any sage advice. Thank you for any thoughts.

-Collin-
Haven’t had that but in the last few days (having had it for three months) it’s starting to get really hot. And I mean to the point where it’s painful to touch it. Anyone experienced this?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,432 of 2,200
No

Haven’t had that but in the last few days (having had it for three months) it’s starting to get really hot. And I mean to the point where it’s painful to touch it. Anyone experienced this?

Didn’t notice that before, but my replacement finally arrived yesterday so
I will report back.

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,435 of 2,200
Feature requests for the playlists screen:

Provide a way to turn off the “Most Played” and “Recently Added” squares on the “Playlists” screen. I can only see three playlists at a time currently, which doesn’t work very well with my limited 200 playlists, but for others with thousands of playlists it is even more ridiculous.

Provide a way to move playlists. I have two or three playlists that I play a lot when on an airplane. Unfortunately they are as far apart as possible in terms of when they were created which guarantees endlessly scrolling through the playlists to find them.

Offer a more condensed playlist view with smaller fonts and slightly smaller album art squares. That way we can scroll faster through large numbers of playlists. In fact I think you could offer three font sizes (the font size on the Astell&Kern menu is readable and there are 10 items in that list).

I am not sure how others use their KC (and it would be very interesting to hear from others), my usage pattern seems to fall into one of two categories:

- Find a playlist I like fast because I’m just waiting to board a plane or driving to a client or something similar. I have a small set of playlists that I will choose from that I wish could be near the top of the list for minimal scrolling.

- I am not “on the clock” and would like to dig deep into my music library to listen to some of the gems that I have collected over the years. Some of these songs aren’t even on a playlist. But I don’t mind doing a lot of scrolling or using the magnifying glass since I am already listening to something wonderful while looking up the next song. In this case the different list types (song, album, artist, playlist) I think work very well.

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #1,436 of 2,200
So, I believe thjs is the DAP for me. I love the idea of so much power. Ideally, I'd like to pair it with the new as of this last Year, semi-open Fostex TH-909. Only two concerts come to mind. I'd like to connect it with a balanced cable, obviously, Fostexs Reverse Polarity XLR configuration isnt going to mate. Would any of you have a suggestion as to who might be able to make a custom cable that would on one end terminate to the 909, and on the other end to the Can ?

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #1,437 of 2,200
So, I believe thjs is the DAP for me. I love the idea of so much power. Ideally, I'd like to pair it with the new as of this last Year, semi-open Fostex TH-909. Only two concerts come to mind. I'd like to connect it with a balanced cable, obviously, Fostexs Reverse Polarity XLR configuration isnt going to mate. Would any of you have a suggestion as to who might be able to make a custom cable that would on one end terminate to the 909, and on the other end to the Can ?

I think Moon Audio will be able to suggest a cable that would work. They sell the stock cable for the Fostex TH909 and they also make 9 custom cables for it.

https://www.moon-audio.com/fostex-th-909-headphones.html?sku=Fostex-TH-909

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,438 of 2,200
Kann cube bluetooth issues with the shure bt2 cable. Any guidance is appreciated.

i recently bought both and have been using them together for the first time and having issues.

bt2 with iphone 8 plus has no issues.

but with kc issues pop up.
I am using a dignis case.

issues become more prevalent if:

* the b2t is not facing the kc (eg i turn around);
* I hold the kc in my left hand whilst my arm is hanging down. If my arm is half bent (across my chest) or the kc is sitting on a chair an arms length away there is minimal issues. I do have an apple watch on my left arm so maybe that is the culprit on that one

i will also try the sony xm3 with the kc and also try the bt2 with the kc wearing no leather case and/ or me wearing no watch

update: taking the case off does not help.
when walking wth the kc in hand it appears moving the kc (ie swinging arms when walking) affects connectivity. All of this so far is still just with the shure bt2

current and first thoughts - the kc is schiit for bluetooth if you are moving.
However i am hoping to find a fix and be proven wrong :)
(with what i had read and was told by my dealer re potential bluetooth issues i never added bluetooth to the value of what the kann cube could offer me)
Update re my experience with kc bluetooth

my shure bt2 with kann cube still has big issues re bluetooth connection. From a bit of cutting out depending on how i hold it to a lot of cutting out
with iPhone 8 plus bt2 has no issues

i also tried the sony 1000xm3. No issues at all wiith with my iphone with the sony. With kc (walking the same path as i did whilst using the bt2) connection issues popped up a couple of times so let’s say works 98% of the time - ie not perfect but bearable ......at the moment

Plus side: using the aptxhd v my iphone codec (aac/sbc) is a fair improvement on first listen though vokume on high gain of kc is not as loud as iphone - though i have not compared side by side

can anyone else shed any light or compare recent experiences with bluetooth?

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #1,439 of 2,200
Update re my experience with kc bluetooth

my shure bt2 with kann cube still has big issues re bluetooth connection. From a bit of cutting out depending on how i hold it to a lot of cutting out
with iPhone 8 plus bt2 has no issues

i also tried the sony 1000xm3. No issues at all wiith with my iphone with the sony. With kc (walking the same path as i did whilst using the bt2) connection issues popped up a couple of times so let’s say works 98% of the time - ie not perfect but bearable ......at the moment

Plus side: using the aptxhd v my iphone codec (aac/sbc) is a fair improvement on first listen though vokume on high gain of kc is not as loud as iphone - though i have not compared side by side

can anyone else shed any light or compare recent experiences with bluetooth?
@JasonNYC can you shed any light re where bluetooth is at with kc?

thanks
peter

Feb 12, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #1,440 of 2,200
Guys, those of you who have already driven a full size can with the KC? What is your cable configuration and what's your experience? Asking because at this rate, one of the reasons why I am getting this cube is power and I want to know how you guys did it (customized cables etc). Thanks for any input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back