Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #1,396 of 2,200
Why do you prefer the m15 for iems? Comparison between the two on sound quality?:)
M15 much better for IEM. Especially sensitive IEM like the Solaris. I am hiss sensitive and through the balanced output the Cube is a mess. I was using the IFI IE Match for my sensitive IEM. The M15 imaging is on another level compared to the Cube.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,397 of 2,200
M15 much better for IEM. Especially sensitive IEM like the Solaris. I am hiss sensitive and through the balanced output the Cube is a mess. I was using the IFI IE Match for my sensitive IEM. The M15 imaging is on another level compared to the Cube.

Is the 3.5 more quiet on the cube with sensitive iems? thanks

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #1,399 of 2,200
Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences side loading Qobuz! I was able to install Qobuz on the KC and it seems to be working.

Today is the first time I have tried this and I wonder if perhaps some of you could help me with a few very basic questions?

(1) Am I right in thinking that albums I purchased and downloaded from Qobuz are “locked” into the Qobuz app? That is, the only way I can play them is by launching Qobuz?
(2) ...so that would mean there is no hope of making a playlist on the KC that has some tracks I downloaded from iTunes and HDTracks mixed with some tracks I purchased from Qobuz?
(3) ...in fact, I couldn’t even make a playlist on the KC of just Qobuz content. All of that would have to be done over in the Qobuz app...?
(4) Is there no way to export content from Qobuz out to the KC? All my Qobuz files are saved to the SD card.
(5) Is there a way I could import my iTunes libraries and CD library into Qobuz so I could make equivalent playlists in Qobuz?
(6) Do I “own” albums I purchased in Qobuz? Or am I only forever allowed to access the content? If I “own” the content, there is probably a software tool somewhere that will export my purchases for import into other platforms (e.g., iTunes). For example, when you purchase a movie in 720 or 1080 from iTunes, you “own it”, so there is a tool you can use to remove the DRM so you can burn it to a DVD if you want. However the 4K content is streaming only so there is nothing (no data) for a tool to try to remove DRM from. So you can’t burn a 4K movie to a BluRay disk or keep a safety backup on a hard drive. I guess we are just purchasing the right to view it for a brief period (a “rental”) or the right to view it whenever we want within the ITunes DRM system only (a “purchase”).

Sorry for so many questions, this is new to me.

Very kind regards

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #1,400 of 2,200
strange you have the M15 and you are posting more info here than in the Fiio m15 thread

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #1,402 of 2,200
What are you talking about? The only thing i may have said that i haven't said in the M15 thread is about the imaging. I am posting much more on the M15. This is something I am finding the more I am listening to it.
oh i see, what other daps u have to compare m15 to

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,403 of 2,200
Kann cube bluetooth issues with the shure bt2 cable. Any guidance is appreciated.

i recently bought both and have been using them together for the first time and having issues.

bt2 with iphone 8 plus has no issues.

but with kc issues pop up.
I am using a dignis case.

issues become more prevalent if:

* the b2t is not facing the kc (eg i turn around);
* I hold the kc in my left hand whilst my arm is hanging down. If my arm is half bent (across my chest) or the kc is sitting on a chair an arms length away there is minimal issues. I do have an apple watch on my left arm so maybe that is the culprit on that one

i will also try the sony xm3 with the kc and also try the bt2 with the kc wearing no leather case and/ or me wearing no watch

update: taking the case off does not help.
when walking wth the kc in hand it appears moving the kc (ie swinging arms when walking) affects connectivity. All of this so far is still just with the shure bt2

current and first thoughts - the kc is schiit for bluetooth if you are moving.
However i am hoping to find a fix and be proven wrong :)
(with what i had read and was told by my dealer re potential bluetooth issues i never added bluetooth to the value of what the kann cube could offer me)

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #1,405 of 2,200
Is the 3.5 more quiet on the cube with sensitive iems? thanks
I get no noise using the kann cube with Solaris IEM's

Edit Thats on low gain and 3.5mm

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,406 of 2,200
Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences side loading Qobuz! I was able to install Qobuz on the KC and it seems to be working.

Today is the first time I have tried this and I wonder if perhaps some of you could help me with a few very basic questions?

(1) Am I right in thinking that albums I purchased and downloaded from Qobuz are “locked” into the Qobuz app? That is, the only way I can play them is by launching Qobuz?
(2) ...so that would mean there is no hope of making a playlist on the KC that has some tracks I downloaded from iTunes and HDTracks mixed with some tracks I purchased from Qobuz?
(3) ...in fact, I couldn’t even make a playlist on the KC of just Qobuz content. All of that would have to be done over in the Qobuz app...?
(4) Is there no way to export content from Qobuz out to the KC? All my Qobuz files are saved to the SD card.
(5) Is there a way I could import my iTunes libraries and CD library into Qobuz so I could make equivalent playlists in Qobuz?
(6) Do I “own” albums I purchased in Qobuz? Or am I only forever allowed to access the content? If I “own” the content, there is probably a software tool somewhere that will export my purchases for import into other platforms (e.g., iTunes). For example, when you purchase a movie in 720 or 1080 from iTunes, you “own it”, so there is a tool you can use to remove the DRM so you can burn it to a DVD if you want. However the 4K content is streaming only so there is nothing (no data) for a tool to try to remove DRM from. So you can’t burn a 4K movie to a BluRay disk or keep a safety backup on a hard drive. I guess we are just purchasing the right to view it for a brief period (a “rental”) or the right to view it whenever we want within the ITunes DRM system only (a “purchase”).

Sorry for so many questions, this is new to me.

Very kind regards
I tried Quobuz on the kann cube, didnt like it at all. Im now using Tidal, loads really fast and had no troubles. The only thing Quobuz has over Tidal is it shows the music quality while playing. I realise Tidal has the 'm' symbal for master quality, alot of other music that doesnt have it sounds just as good so Im never sure it is actually master.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,408 of 2,200
I am definitely getting hiss even the 3.5mm with the Solaris.

Just play the song at decent listening level then just pause the music, after 3 seconds you can hear it cut the power and that's when you get no hiss.
I tried it according to the instruction above. My experience differs a bit.

Sitting in very silent environment. I set low gain on Cube (however same result in high gain). Choose music - Mozart piano sonatas HiRes 96/24. Set decent volume. Concentrate if I hear hiss. Difficult to judge, the music is beautiful. Pause music. Then I can hear some weak hiss, not much louder than the hiss I hear when the iem is in my ear, but not connected to anything. Weak, but audible. For 3 seconds. Then the hiss is gone, no difference if I plug or unplug the iem. I can also hear the same level of hiss when I concentrate on it, where there a silence period in the music.

I have not even noticed the hiss until this explicit experiment. I can imagine there are people with more sensive ears on high frequencies, who experiece this differently.

I will continue enjoy music, not concentrate on the existence of hiss :ksc75smile:.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,409 of 2,200
I tried it according to the instruction above. My experience differs a bit.

Sitting in very silent environment. I set low gain on Cube (however same result in high gain). Choose music - Mozart piano sonatas HiRes 96/24. Set decent volume. Concentrate if I hear hiss. Difficult to judge, the music is beautiful. Pause music. Then I can hear some weak hiss, not much louder than the hiss I hear when the iem is in my ear, but not connected to anything. Weak, but audible. For 3 seconds. Then the hiss is gone, no difference if I plug or unplug the iem. I can also hear the same level of hiss when I concentrate on it, where there a silence period in the music.

I have not even noticed the hiss until this explicit experiment. I can imagine there are people with more sensive ears on high frequencies, who experiece this differently.

I will continue enjoy music, not concentrate on the existence of hiss :ksc75smile:.
I can also hear it as well in quiet passages when i'm playing music. This is just a way to eliminate and other variables (say if the hiss is actually from the music itself) to confirm its actually coming from the unit.

I know I am hiss sensitive. So others may have different experience.

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #1,410 of 2,200
No, you are not right. What you purchase on Qobuz can be downloaded DRM-free and played with any player at your convenience.
As you see above, there is more than hope. Once you downloaded the purchased content on your PC from Qobuz, you can copy it to the Cube to the other songs, and create playlist. You do not need the Qobuz sideloaded app any more.
That is correct (regarding the streaming content)
Only the purchased ones. Not the offline streaming files.
Not that I know.
(6) Do I “own” albums I purchased in Qobuz? Or am I only forever allowed to access the content?
You do own them, and you can listen to them by any player, even if you quit your Qobuz account.

I hope that helps. I tried it out, it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back