Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jan 20, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,381 of 2,204
Thinking to buy a new dap and debating between kann cube and n6ii.

Unfortunately I cannot find many reviews online for the kann cube.

How would you describe the sound signature of the cube? Neutral/Bright/analitical or warm/organic/musical?

Anybody tried sensitive IEMs (for example Andromeda) out of the 2.5 balanced? How is the noise floor?

Is it possible to download songs from tidal to the sd card?I checked the astell page about side loading apps but I can’t really get the part about offline songs from streaming services and download path.

Are the side loaded apps like tidal responsive enough?

many thanks for any answers!:)
Tough questions! I chose the Kann Cube (KC) over the n6ii because I was more interested in sound quality and was willing to deal with a smartphone as a pocketable music device.

The KC sound evolves over time and benefits with burn-in and by matching the gain setting to the headphones. For me, high gain (and lower volume) works best with my three headphones but I've read other opinions by more discerning listeners. To my ears, the KC reveals layers and separation for each instrument and voice. I'm rediscovering all of my music and some of it sounds very different than I ever heard it before. Perhaps I'm breaking into a new level of audiophile listening I couldn't fathom affording previously.

Sound signature: I prefer acoustic music: Jazz, Classical, Rock. I don't listen to much of the latest electronic or processed music so my opinions may differ from others for providing the magic answer to the Neutral/Bright/Analytical or warm/organic/musical questions. My personal answer is that the KC is the most "natural-sounding" music device I have ever owned.

Sensitive IEMs. I speculate that the Andromeda will not hiss at the low gain setting. I use the JH Audio Layla with the high gain setting and with the volume control set lower.

I have not heard the N6II but I have listened to the Cayin N8. The N8 is in another class because of the tube output. The N6II and the N8 cannot match the voltage of the KC so an external headphone amp would be required for an adequate comparison. I believe I would enjoy the N6II or the N8 as a pocketable music player. If I could only buy one I would (and did) buy the KC. (Full disclosure, I still use the Cowon Plenue P2 and the iFi xDSD as pocketable solutions and would consider the N6II or the N8 again if they had BBE processing ability. I sometimes use BBE as a VST plugin with Foobar2000 but that is not a pocketable solution... AFAIK.) The N6II and the N8 should pair well with the Andromeda (my guess).

Tidal: I did a Qobuz trial and it downloaded music to a location on the KC that I could play but not copy from or move. The only way to put a Qobuz download on the SD Card is to purchase the music which is an added cost on top of the subscription. I think (and someone will know better than me) that Tidal works the same.

Sideloading apps require some patience and deductive reasoning. It may be possible to install an app on an Android device, export it to an APK, and then install it to the KC but I doubt it. A&K will only let you install what they have approved for installation. Unfortunately, APKPure does not always carry what A&K has approved. For example, last I tried, Spotify was not available at APKPure (no great loss if you want great sound quality). Tidal is pre-installed on the KC so I think you will be ok if Tidal is your expectation. To try to answer your specific question: The Qobuz app was responsive for me (I am now unsubscribed from Qobuz for a variety of reasons not associated with the KC) and I expect the Tidal app will be responsive for you.

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,382 of 2,204
Thinking to buy a new dap and debating between kann cube and n6ii.

Unfortunately I cannot find many reviews online for the kann cube.

How would you describe the sound signature of the cube? Neutral/Bright/analitical or warm/organic/musical?

Anybody tried sensitive IEMs (for example Andromeda) out of the 2.5 balanced? How is the noise floor?

Is it possible to download songs from tidal to the sd card?I checked the astell page about side loading apps but I can’t really get the part about offline songs from streaming services and download path.

Are the side loaded apps like tidal responsive enough?

many thanks for any answers!:)
Andromeda out of the 2.5 balanced in low gain had zero noise floor. Silence. At least on volume settings that I could bear when the music came. Sounded awesome when I was auditioning it.

With the preinstalled Tidal, which is integrated into the Kann, it is not possible to play offline content. With sideloaded apps it is. I use Qobuz, there I could set the offline content path to the SD card. However, they can be played only with my Qobuz app, and only when I have a valid active subscription. No personal experience with Tidal sideloaded.

The sideloaded Qobuz is reponsive enough for me, but I have no high expectations. A bit slower than on my LG G7.

I have never heard the n6ii.

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #1,383 of 2,204
Andromeda out of the 2.5 balanced in low gain had zero noise floor. Silence. At least on volume settings that I could bear when the music came. Sounded awesome when I was auditioning it.

With the preinstalled Tidal, which is integrated into the Kann, it is not possible to play offline content. With sideloaded apps it is. I use Qobuz, there I could set the offline content path to the SD card. However, they can be played only with my Qobuz app, and only when I have a valid active subscription. No personal experience with Tidal sideloaded.

The sideloaded Qobuz is reponsive enough for me, but I have no high expectations. A bit slower than on my LG G7.

I have never heard the n6ii.
Tidal offline works fine when downloaded onto kc. Easy to do.

with se846 no hiss - the andromeda’s are more sensitive from what I understand but see others posts.

i will be receiving an n6ii to review (part of a demo tour) in the next few weeks as i am curious too to see how they compare

I’m planning to get back with my opinions of the comparisons as I don’t think there is enough out there

edit: we also now have the fiio m15 coming into the market at a similar price point that i’m also curious about...........but happy with my kc

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #1,385 of 2,204
Thanks for all the answers :)

I just ordered a Kann Cube, I should receive it next week and I’m looking forward to compare it with my iBasso dx220.

I also saw that Ken from campfire audio recommend the Kann Cube for the solaris and they use it at the campfire stands at the shows for demoing their iems so must be good with iems :)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #1,387 of 2,204
I also saw that Ken from campfire audio recommend the Kann Cube for the solaris and they use it at the campfire stands at the shows for demoing their iems so must be good with iems
Where did you see it? I mean Campfire Audio recommendation. I use Kann Cube with Campfire Vega and it is spectacular. It is also very good with SE846 but that depends on the filter, white is the best.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,388 of 2,204
Jan 21, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,389 of 2,204
Where did you see it? I mean Campfire Audio recommendation. I use Kann Cube with Campfire Vega and it is spectacular. It is also very good with SE846 but that depends on the filter, white is the best.
My Jupiter scaled extremely well with the Kann Cube. Shocking difference.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #1,390 of 2,204
Thanks for all the answers :)

I just ordered a Kann Cube, I should receive it next week and I’m looking forward to compare it with my iBasso dx220.

I also saw that Ken from campfire audio recommend the Kann Cube for the solaris and they use it at the campfire stands at the shows for demoing their iems so must be good with iems :)
This was one of the reason I purchased the Cube. Now that I have the M15 I use the Cube for my headphones.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,391 of 2,204
This was one of the reason I purchased the Cube. Now that I have the M15 I use the Cube for my headphones.
How does the Kann Cube compare to the M15? I have two daps and a portable amp. I'm thinking about selling both daps and consolidating my daps to one for my not so power hungry stuff.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #1,392 of 2,204
How does the Kann Cube compare to the M15? I have two daps and a portable amp. I'm thinking about selling both daps and consolidating my daps to one for my not so power hungry stuff.
If you exclusively using it with IEM. M15 hands down. If your using it with headphones it would depend on if you need the power of the Cube. Just on sound... M15.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,393 of 2,204
If you exclusively using it with IEM. M15 hands down. If your using it with headphones it would depend on if you need the power of the Cube. Just on sound... M15.
That's super helpful. Thanks. I have the WA11 for my full sized stuff. The WA11 is so amazing I really don't feel the need to have two other daps. I'd rather sell them both, pick up the M15 and another set of cans.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,394 of 2,204

Why do you prefer the m15 for iems? Comparison between the two on sound quality?:)

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,395 of 2,204
Why do you prefer the m15 for iems? Comparison between the two on sound quality?:)
It's more than that... It's also upgrade/sidegradeitis and convenience. I have all kinds of termination 3.5, 2.5 and 4.4. Having all three outputs it a plus for me. Plus, I would use it as a transport for my WA11. I'm also curious about the sound difference for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back