Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Oct 20, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #1,171 of 2,200
Good luck with finding a new solution. If you liked the Shure 846 you will like even more a Campfire Andromeda or a Meze Rai Penta. Maybe for a near future. You can take it as opportunity for improvement

Thanks, Newsee. Hopefully, I'll get something eventually; I couldn't buy another iem if the 846 was running fine. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #1,172 of 2,200
Folks,

Thanks for all your Kann Cube alternatives and if there are no other suggestions, I think I will go for...Kann Cube :)

Now.... I need your recommendation for closed back cans below 2k that will become a perfect combo with the new Kann. I like organic sound, almost flat frequency response with slight V shape (but not too warm and not too bright). Mid-bass boost or rolled off high frequencies / low frequency bass is also not something what I'm looking for. I want details (macro and micro), soundstage and quality, I want to feel the music without it being too warm or too bright or analytical or lifeless. Alternatively just say what you have and the sound characteristics when paired with Kann Cube.

Thank you!
M.

HiBy R6 Pro has the same output levels as an alternative to the Kann.

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,175 of 2,200
any1 else tried IEM from the XLR out? It sound even more neutral than the 2.5 bal out and even less hiss. I don't know why AK made such an amazing dap for IEMs and dont even sell an adapter for the mini xlr output...
What cable/connector/adapter do you use?

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #1,176 of 2,200
What cable/connector/adapter do you use?

1023191851.jpg
I demo the kann kube when i was in japan and they sell a xlr to 4.4female adapter for $100 or so... And when I got back to the states I order a custom adpater/cable from a cable maker out of Singapore. I been using it the pass fee days, and it honestly is one of the best dap for IEMs. I have tried my VX on the 2.5mm out, its just not the same...

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #1,178 of 2,200

I demo the kann kube when i was in japan and they sell a xlr to 4.4female adapter for $100 or so... And when I got back to the states I order a custom adpater/cable from a cable maker out of Singapore. I been using it the pass fee days, and it honestly is one of the best dap for IEMs. I have tried my VX on the 2.5mm out, its just not the same...
Thank you for the info. I will try to ask about at FAW. Ideally I would need an L-shaped 5 pin XLR to 2.5mm female adapter.

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,180 of 2,200
Is it safe to leave a KANN or Cube plugged into a charge port all the time?

A friend is doing it and I think that is not a good idea because the battery will constantly be charging but I really don't know for sure.
From the battery lifetime point of view the Lithium-polymer batteries like it most if they are working in the 20-80% charged range. My guess would be that once you charged them full, it does not harm further if you keep it there. Today's charging circuitry does not charge constantly when the batteries are full. They charge "dropwise" to keep them on 100%. Depends on the power chip in the Cube.

Oct 27, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #1,182 of 2,200
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #1,185 of 2,200
I am quite interested in this. In terms of incorporating it into a home hi fi system, how would that work? Would it connect straight to active speakers?
Thanks
I would think something like this would to the trick between the kc and the active speakers

i used to use one when i had no volume control on my dac (and no pre amp) when connecting to my active monitors and it worked well
https://www.adorama.com/tce967001001.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back