Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jun 17, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #181 of 2,200
Frankly, I am not too upset about the leather case, as someone that tries to reduce animal products in general, more interested in the sound quality of the device itself. At least I don't have to pay for something I am not too happy about. If the sound quality is as good as it is rumored to be, I would be happy to put it in a thick sock and and make holes for the screen and sockets. :)

I was initially eyeing the SP2000 but later decided to go for the Cube and with the extra money just bought a ZMF Verite, which I think is what this kind of a powerful beast deserves - though I still didn't receive my Cube.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #183 of 2,200
Perhaps the wrong thread for discussion?

I’d like a good portable and have been waiting for 2Go for Hugo 2. (I love Chord). Therefore, the size of the KANN Cube isn’t an issue for me.

As I weigh the balances, a tipping point is no Chord app—relying upon 3rd party apps brings uncertainty.

I’d like to have my music w me, which means SD card.

I can’t always predict what I’ll want to hear, especially in travel.

I love Qobuz & the offline accessibility is nice but I’m purchasing my own...one never knows where a business will land.

Accessing my own & having large files—I look forward to more reviews about the ease and efficiency of using larger micro SD cards.
Get the A&K Kann Cube, i also love Chord but Hugo 2 is a thing of the past, the Kann Cube has it all.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #185 of 2,200
I received my KANN Cube a day ago. I did some initial listening with my HE-560 and Focal Clear headphones. Considering that my Cube has not been burned in, the sound is very good. The Cube does not seem to add any coloration to the sound; rather, it seems to play true to source meaning bad recording sound bad and good recordings sound great. The dynamics in the playback are very good as well and I sense an almost 3D soundscape in my headphones, very full sound! I am particularly impressed with well recorded vocals such as Greg Brown (Honey in the Lion's Head), anything from Chesky, and The Civil Wars. Lately I have been in interested in electronic, ambient, down temple, music (see Ultimae on Bandcamp). I am listening to Granite by Martin Nonstatic (24 Bit) now and the KANN Cube is reproducing the lows without hesitation (my friend will not complain about bass on the Clears after he listens to the Cube!). Another cool thing is the Cube has plenty of power to drive my power hungry HE-560. I am a little surprised at how quickly the battery drains and I would like a case for it ASAP. I played 3 albums so far today (medium amp setting) and the battery is already at 67% from a freshly charged battery. My previous headphone gear was Ayre CODEX and A&K KANN (point of reference). I also listen to KEF LS50 Wireless with a SVSound SB-3000 Sub. Oh man, that sub...
Hi. I'm interested to learn more about the Cube's sound signature. You say it adds no coloration to the sound, which is a departure from the original Kann (which I own). I like the idea of having more power than the Kann, but I wouldn't be interested if the sound signature is closer to, say, the SP1000, which I found disappointing overall and sold soon after buying it. If the Cube is "Kann made better" then I'm in. Thanks!!

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #186 of 2,200
Hi. I'm interested to learn more about the Cube's sound signature. You say it adds no coloration to the sound, which is a departure from the original Kann (which I own). I like the idea of having more power than the Kann, but I wouldn't be interested if the sound signature is closer to, say, the SP1000, which I found disappointing overall and sold soon after buying it. If the Cube is "Kann made better" then I'm in. Thanks!!

You know I could be wrong with my assessment about coloration. I am mainly listening to the KANN Cube with Focal Clear headphones and the sound signature seems very neutral. But I have no other device to compare it with at the moment because I sold my Ayre Codex and original KANN. I am planning to meet with a friend soon who has a few devices to listen and compare the sound. In the meantime, I am continually burning it in and the sound seems to be getting better with the added hours of usage.

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #188 of 2,200
Just wondering, why Kann Cube is using USB DAC driver for XP, windows 7/8, and no windows 10?
And why it needs driver for MacOSX, those usb dac I have/had don't need driver on MacOSX.
Any one?

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #189 of 2,200
Just wondering, why Kann Cube is using USB DAC driver for XP, windows 7/8, and no windows 10?
And why it needs driver for MacOSX, those usb dac I have/had don't need driver on MacOSX.
Any one?
Windows 10 has native support for Android-based USB DACs built in, so no driver is needed.

The MacOS driver is actually Android File Transfer. No DAC driver is necessary for MacOS

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 21, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #191 of 2,200
You know I could be wrong with my assessment about coloration. I am mainly listening to the KANN Cube with Focal Clear headphones and the sound signature seems very neutral. But I have no other device to compare it with at the moment because I sold my Ayre Codex and original KANN. I am planning to meet with a friend soon who has a few devices to listen and compare the sound. In the meantime, I am continually burning it in and the sound seems to be getting better with the added hours of usage.
Thanks for the reply. I think I may spring for the Cube.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #192 of 2,200
I've recently bought the Fiio M11 and think it is a great deal for only $449 usd, but I'm quite curious about the Kann Cube. A couple questions:
  1. Tidal / Qobuz 44.1 files - Will the Cube play these back at their native resolution, or will they go through the Android mixer and be upsampled to 48khz?
  2. Is there a system-wide eq on the Kann Cube? If so, how many bands does it have and how good is it?
  3. What is A&K's reputation for support and system updates?
Thank you.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #193 of 2,200
I've recently bought the Fiio M11 and think it is a great deal for only $449 usd, but I'm quite curious about the Kann Cube. A couple questions:
  1. Tidal / Qobuz 44.1 files - Will the Cube play these back at their native resolution, or will they go through the Android mixer and be upsampled to 48khz?
  2. Is there a system-wide eq on the Kann Cube? If so, how many bands does it have and how good is it?
  3. What is A&K's reputation for support and system updates?
Thank you.
I'm no the same boat as you. I would be careful listening to TigerAlex as well as coolmilo. Both seems like hired help here to try to hype up products.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #194 of 2,200
I'm no the same boat as you. I would be careful listening to TigerAlex as well as coolmilo. Both seems like hired help here to try to hype up products.

I am not hired help. I guess I am really more of an early adopter and wanted to share my impression so far.

Back to Abirdie4me’s questions...the KANN Cube has a 20 band standard EQ and an advanced mode. I don’t remember if my KANN has this sophisticated of an EQ or not.

I can’t tell the specifications of the music playing from the Tidal app. It shows HiFi for redbook titles and master for mqa titles.

Support for the KANN was ok, I guess. I think many people were unhappy because AK stopped adding features and firmware updates after 16 months or so.

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #195 of 2,200
Well, I ordered the Kann (with case purchased separately) from Moon Audio. Having always admired the original Kann's sound signature and overall... chutzpah, I made the decision to sell my Kann and go for the Cube. I feel confident that I won't be disappointed (as I was with the SP1000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back