Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Sep 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #106 of 1,190
After many hours with my own AK T8iE

Build quality is very nice,with the right ear tips you can find the perfect seal and fit,i use the large or the Spin fits

Bass is really good,but the highs are not very clear,it reminds me to the sound of the Oppo Pm1
For 999 EUROS a good Deal?not really!
I think with the K3003 from AKG you are on a better way,for the same money or less now in the internet(with the spin fits or black tips)

Regards Nomax

Thanks for the first impressions... Curious as to where you got them ?

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #107 of 1,190
After many hours with my own AK T8iE

Build quality is very nice,with the right ear tips you can find the perfect seal and fit,i use the large or the Spin fits

Bass is really good,but the highs are not very clear,it reminds me to the sound of the Oppo Pm1
For 999 EUROS a good Deal?not really!
I think with the K3003 from AKG you are on a better way,for the same money or less now in the internet(with the spin fits or black tips)

Regards Nomax

According to your describtion it goes more direction IE80  to stay with in ears? 

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #110 of 1,190
I went to my shop and tried the AK T8ie alongside my SE5 ultimate, the Oriolus and the W60, driven by the AK240SS and the Lotoo Paw Gold, all with my own music in FLAC. I listened for around an hour and a half altogether.

My opinions is the following:

1. Not a fan of the W60. It doesn't do do anything bad, but not anything good either. It's easy to listen to, very smooth, with nice overall balance, but doesn't impress for a TOTL. Bass could be tighter, separation is a bit smoothed over, mids are not overly clear and highs not too sparkly. Did not listen for more than 15mn, so maybe they grow on you, but the least impressive of the bunch for sure
  2. The Oriolus is clearly very good, I think it is an excellent all-rounder. Nice balance, punchy yet controlled bass, clear mids, airy high, nice dynamics. I think they are a bit on the large side. Fit is good, also a bit tricky at first with the provided tips. I am not a fan of the cable, which is ugly and tangly to me. Overall, if you like the hybrid sound, like Tralucent 1plus2, but a bit smoother, and want just one iem, go for it. Definitely a great package
  3. The AKT8ie is also very good. It is very very small, which is nice. Tips are a bit weird shaped, and if you have large ear canals (like me) you need to push the AKs inside your ears. I listened to them both SE and balanced. Balance just seem to give more body and weight to the bass. Overall, they remind me of the Oriolus, with more mid bass punch, slightly sharper and thinner sound, a bit faster also. Mids clarity and separation are maybe a bit better on the Oriolus. If you consider price, the Oriolus are a better deal, but if you consider size, build and SQ, the AK are a nice package. Do they sound like 999$? I would say 800$ would be better, but you do pay the brand, the very nice design and build, and the fact that both balanced and SE cables are included in the package. I am consider getting this as a portable alternative to my 846 for a brighter, faster sound in a compact format
  4. I still think the SE5 Ultimate performs better than all of these (but the Oriolus is not far), which is to be expected given the price

I also tried the QP1r from Questyle.

I could not upload my own music, so I just tried briefly. The build quality, ergonomics and navigation sucked in my experience. I think the color and overall design are very ugly, which is a shame, because this player sounds absolutely great! If it looked like an AK player it would be a no brainer. Really in the top tier sound wise : the power and authority behind the sound are truly impressive.

Another thing of note: I just love the sound of the Lotoo Paw Gold. It is toe to toe performance wise with my AK240SS, but the sound is more engaging. I am getting one of these soon I think.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #111 of 1,190
mmm.......I second that....based on my brief listening impression of the Paw Gold, it sounds incredible. Too bad that it looks really, really ugly. Also, it is surprisingly heavy (it felt twice as heavy as the AK 240).

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #112 of 1,190
  mmm.......I second that....based on my brief listening impression of the Paw Gold, it sounds incredible. Too bad that it looks really, really ugly. Also, it is surprisingly heavy (it felt twice as heavy as the AK 240).

Well my AK is the SS, so very heavy too! And I find it much less ugly than the 901 or the Q1Pr

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #113 of 1,190
I went to my shop and tried the AK T8ie alongside my SE5 ultimate, the Oriolus and the W60, driven by the AK240SS and the Lotoo Paw Gold, all with my own music in FLAC. I listened for around an hour and a half altogether.

• Not a fan of the W60. It doesn't do do anything bad, but not anything good either. It's easy to listen to, very smooth, with nice overall balance, but doesn't impress for a TOTL. Bass could be tighter, separation is a bit smoothed over, mids are not overly clear and highs not too sparkly. Did not listen for more than 15mn, so maybe they grow on you, but the least impressive of the bunch for sure
  • The Oriolus is clearly very good, I think it is an excellent all-rounder. Nice balance, punchy yet controlled bass, clear mids, airy high, nice dynamics. I think they are a bit on the large side. Fit is good, also a bit tricky at first with the provided tips. I am not a fan of the cable, which is ugly and tangly to me. Overall, if you like the hybrid sound, like Tralucent 1plus2, but a bit smoother, and want just one iem, go for it. Definitely a great package
  • The AKT8ie is also very good. It is very very small, which is nice. Tips are a bit weird shaped, and if you have large ear canals (like me) you need to push the AKs inside your ears. I listened to them both SE and balanced. Balance just seem to give more body and weight to the bass. Overall, they remind me of the Oriolus, with more mid bass punch, slightly sharper and thinner sound, a bit faster also. Mids clarity and separation are maybe a bit better on the Oriolus. If you consider price, the Oriolus are a better deal, but if you consider size, build and SQ, the AK are a nice package. Do they sound like 999$? I would say 800$ would be better, but you do pay the brand, the very nice design and build, and the fact that both balanced and SE cables are included in the package. I am consider getting this as a portable alternative to my 846 for a brighter, faster sound in a compact format
  • I still think the SE5 Ultimate performs better than all of these (but the Oriolus is not far), which is to be expected given the price

I could not upload my own music, so I just tried briefly. The build quality, ergonomics and navigation sucked in my experience. I think the color and overall design are very ugly, which is a shame, because this player sounds absolutely great! If it looked like an AK player it would be a no brainer. Really in the top tier sound wise : the power and authority behind the sound are truly impressive.

Another thing of note: I just love the sound of the Lotoo Paw Gold. It is toe to toe performance wise with my AK240SS, but the sound is more engaging. I am getting one of these soon I think.
If you can demo the Aurisonics Harmony. I hated their previous models but the Harmony has completely changed my view.

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #114 of 1,190

• Not a fan of the W60. It doesn't do do anything bad, but not anything good either. It's easy to listen to, very smooth, with nice overall balance, but doesn't impress for a TOTL. Bass could be tighter, separation is a bit smoothed over, mids are not overly clear and highs not too sparkly. Did not listen for more than 15mn, so maybe they grow on you, but the least impressive of the bunch for sure
  • The Oriolus is clearly very good, I think it is an excellent all-rounder. Nice balance, punchy yet controlled bass, clear mids, airy high, nice dynamics. I think they are a bit on the large side. Fit is good, also a bit tricky at first with the provided tips. I am not a fan of the cable, which is ugly and tangly to me. Overall, if you like the hybrid sound, like Tralucent 1plus2, but a bit smoother, and want just one iem, go for it. Definitely a great package
  • The AKT8ie is also very good. It is very very small, which is nice. Tips are a bit weird shaped, and if you have large ear canals (like me) you need to push the AKs inside your ears. I listened to them both SE and balanced. Balance just seem to give more body and weight to the bass. Overall, they remind me of the Oriolus, with more mid bass punch, slightly sharper and thinner sound, a bit faster also. Mids clarity and separation are maybe a bit better on the Oriolus. If you consider price, the Oriolus are a better deal, but if you consider size, build and SQ, the AK are a nice package. Do they sound like 999$? I would say 800$ would be better, but you do pay the brand, the very nice design and build, and the fact that both balanced and SE cables are included in the package. I am consider getting this as a portable alternative to my 846 for a brighter, faster sound in a compact format
  • I still think the SE5 Ultimate performs better than all of these (but the Oriolus is not far), which is to be expected given the price

Thanks for your own impression,yes the ORIOLUS is the better Deal in all ways for this price compared to the AKtie8(and yes you pay a few hundrets for the brand alone!!)
And i know the engeniers behind the product

I was hearing the Oriolus and i will get it next week from dimitri trush from musicaacoustics

NOMAX

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #115 of 1,190
Finally some love for the Oriolus! I use those since few month ago and my K10U and Savant don't get a lot of listening time anymore.
I personnaly liked a lot the new Beyer AK IEMs too and considering getting a pair.I think they sound very unique and they benefit from a single dynamique driver design. It's nice not having any crossover messing with the frequency responce.

+1 for W60, it's an ok IEM, but nothing special.

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #116 of 1,190
Finally some love for the Oriolus! I use those since few month ago and my K10U and Savant don't get a lot of listening time anymore.
I personnaly liked a lot the new Beyer AK IEMs too and considering getting a pair.I think they sound very unique and they benefit from a single dynamique driver design. It's nice not having any crossover messing with the frequency responce.

+1 for W60, it's an ok IEM, but nothing special.
Try the Aurisonics Kicker which has one DD Driver made by Aurisonics.

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #117 of 1,190
Allready tried and reviewed (in french, sorry) the Bravo series. Kicker are absolutely great value for sure, it's fun and still very clear and resolving, with great soundstage, but performance wise it is behind the top end IEMs (Oriolus, AK T8iE, UM hybrides: Maverick, Mavis, Macbeth etc...).

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #118 of 1,190

fast question: can you give me an idea about volume output level of QP1R?
lets say, compared to some other players: I own DX90 and volume is enough for me,  had Astell & Kern AK100 II and I sold it due to low output level...

thanks!

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #119 of 1,190
Allready tried and reviewed (in french, sorry) the Bravo series. Kicker are absolutely great value for sure, it's fun and still very clear and resolving, with great soundstage, but performance wise it is behind the top end IEMs (Oriolus, AK T8iE, UM hybrides: Maverick, Mavis, Macbeth etc...).
I have all three at home and the Harmong is a Hybrid which the semi entry Kicker is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back