Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
Oct 18, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #736 of 1,018

we were talking in reference to the AK300 AMP module. 

Ahhh thanks for the clarification.

As for running balanced, you can get a custom 2.5mm cable for the HD800.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #739 of 1,018
Hey all, new AK300 user here. I tried both SE and balanced, where the latter was dull and veiled. Everything changed when I switched the EQ on in PRO.
Anyone with the same experience?

I have not tried this yet, though I'm quite happy with the single ended performance.

It was me who found the balanced out similar to yourself when I tried with Tralucent 1Plus2.2 (no EQ testing). To run balanced again I'd need to change out cables and I'm not too fussed about it. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #740 of 1,018

I have not tried this yet, though I'm quite happy with the single ended performance.

It was me who found the balanced out similar to yourself when I tried with Tralucent 1Plus2.2 (no EQ testing). To run balanced again I'd need to change out cables and I'm not too fussed about it. 

I can see your point, SE is wonderful. I just need balanced because of it's power increase though I just saw in the specs that there's no difference in power output between balanced and SE. I'll switch back to SE :)

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #741 of 1,018
Hey all, new AK300 user here. I tried both SE and balanced, where the latter was dull and veiled. Everything changed when I switched the EQ on in PRO.
Anyone with the same experience?

I have another issue with my 320 but I can't shake the feeling that it's related.

Using my Angie IIs via SE only:
I have been A/Bing with my Mojo (Mojo via Notebook+Foobar) and naturally, I've set the vol output on my 320 to approximate the vol of the Mojo. I then move the IEM from one device to the other and so on.

(Almost) every time when plugging back into the 320 the volume "sounds" lower and I don't know if it's only the difference in volume or perhaps other reasons (dull, veiled etc.), it sounds quite different to me.
blink.gif

I have to 1. (re-)pause the song, 2. change the vol up / down one value 3. return it to the original value - and - presto, the sound / signature is back as it should be.

So what if something similar is happening when switching between SE & balanced? Worth testing out.
While I also have a balanced cable for the Angies, swapping it out for A/B is difficult and takes too long for a reasonable A/B reaction-time. Anyone with similar IEMs or headphones set up with SE and Balanced respectively could quickly verify this...
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #742 of 1,018
  I have another issue with my 320 but I can't shake the feeling that it's related.

Using my Angie IIs via SE only:
I have been A/Bing with my Mojo (Mojo via Notebook+Foobar) and naturally, I've set the vol output on my 320 to approximate the vol of the Mojo. I then move the IEM from one device to the other and so on.

(Almost) every time when plugging back into the 320 the volume "sounds" lower and I don't know if it's only the difference in volume or perhaps other reasons (dull, veiled etc.), it sounds quite different to me.
blink.gif

I have to 1. (re-)pause the song, 2. change the vol up / down one value 3. return it to the original value - and - presto, the sound / signature is back as it should be.

So what if something similar is happening when switching between SE & balanced? Worth testing out.
While I also have a balanced cable for the Angies, swapping it out for A/B is difficult and takes too long for a reasonable A/B reaction-time. Anyone with similar IEMs or headphones set up with SE and Balanced respectively could quickly verify this...
beerchug.gif

Hey Traveller,

I'll not talk about SE vs Balanced output comparing but I've noticed probably similar issue. When I leave my AK300 paused for some time (didn't measure it but it's somewhere around 10+ minutes) and then press play again the volume is significantly lower (the volume setting is the same of course). I have to pause and unpause the music once again to get the volume to the original state. This could be some kind of weird safety precaution which is not mentioned anywhere but rather more a bug. I'm about to report it to AK support. You can try if there isn't any link between these two issues and let me know.

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #743 of 1,018
... I've noticed probably similar issue. When I leave my AK300 paused for some time (didn't measure it but it's somewhere around 10+ minutes) and then press play again the volume is significantly lower (the volume setting is the same of course). I have to pause and unpause the music once again to get the volume to the original state. This could be some kind of weird safety precaution...

Right on the money!
biggrin.gif

Now that I know the what, the why is not as important but I agree 110% with you that it should've at least been documented... 
rolleyes.gif

"Hidden features" are rarely positive but in this case, I could accept it as a safety feature... 
wink.gif

T4S sir!
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #746 of 1,018

I personally did A/B same monitors,same cables.. Balanced out still sounded superior than SE. But there is still an issue with volume getting lower when the player is paused,screen off.. I press replay and the volume is back to normal. Other than all is fine for me. Balanced sounds alot better than SE. :)

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #748 of 1,018
1.2 firmware is superior to 1.11c? ( soundwise)

Can't compare, bought my AK300 day after 1.20 update :) But few here mentioned 1.20 is better soundwise

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #749 of 1,018

I personally did A/B same monitors,same cables.. Balanced out still sounded superior than SE. But there is still an issue with volume getting lower when the player is paused,screen off.. I press replay and the volume is back to normal. Other than all is fine for me. Balanced sounds alot better than SE.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use Ultrasone Performance 880 with Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable in SE and Shure 1540 with Silver Dragon in balanced and they both sound awesome. I would not call it "alot better". My opinion… The volume issue is really strange right?

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #750 of 1,018

My 2 Sandisk work perfectly, but you have to format them with FAT32.

Hey, I just picked up a Sandisk 200GB. Do you know what the process is to make it compatible with the AK300? (i.e. how to format FAT32?)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back